GDT: Devils at Senaturds, 4/26/22, 7:00pm, MSG+

mfitz804

I haven't done many GDTs lately, so I figure I'm due. Also, obviously with Blackwood returning, it only seems appropriate. I'm hoping for glimmers of hope instead of the usual piles of sh!t that have been happening.

We can still lose. Whether you like Blackwood or you don't, obviously we're best served if he is healthy and playing well, whether we're trading him or playing him next year. 

LGD. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m hoping Blackwood plays well. If he was truly having trouble with the injury I’d like to see him recover and either get back on track here or become a good piece to trade if the relationship between the team and him is really that broken. 

Maybe he will get along better with the new GM and coaching staff. 

30 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Gotta admit I'm looking forward to seeing Blackwood play. Anything that offers a hint of something better to come is welcome.

LGD!

He's Not-Gillies and Not-Hammond...and obviously potentially better than both.  So yeah, good enough for me.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's Not-Gillies and Not-Hammond...and obviously potentially better than both.  So yeah, good enough for me.

I mean I’m at that point too. I am willing to let literally anyone other than those two play. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean I’m at that point too. I am willing to let literally anyone other than those two play. 

I know there's enough negativity right now that some fans are terrified about the possibility that somehow Gillies and/or Hammond will still be here by the start of next season, but I don't see it.  If anything, Fitz passing on McKay shows me that Daws and Schmid will be back with Utica next season (with either one being a call-up replacement for anyone who's injured on the big club)...I'm OK with that, for now.  There's no room for Gillies or Hammond here, nor should there be.

The question that won't be answered today will be who's actually in goal for the Devils next year...I have no idea, none.  I'm interested in Husso, but can't pretend that he's some absolute sure thing...over his last 25 GP (since 1/29), he's put up a .908 save%.  He could very well come here and not be anything special either (though "not anything special" would be an upgrade over much of the goaltending we saw from the Devils in 2021-22).    

54 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know there's enough negativity right now that some fans are terrified about the possibility that somehow Gillies and/or Hammond will still be here by the start of next season, but I don't see it.  If anything, Fitz passing on McKay shows me that Daws and Schmid will be back with Utica next season (with either one being a call-up replacement for anyone who's injured on the big club)...I'm OK with that, for now.  There's no room for Gillies or Hammond here, nor should there be.

I'm not afraid of that at all, I can't imagine either guy is back here next season, i just literally do not want to watch 3 more games of their antics. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not afraid of that at all, I can't imagine either guy is back here next season, i just literally do not want to watch 3 more games of their antics. 

Oh I wasn’t saying YOU, but some fans definitely think at least one of those guys will be in the mix next season.  I say no way.  And yeah, with you, I don’t ever want to see either of them again.  They’re just awful. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh I wasn’t saying YOU, but some fans definitely think at least one of those guys will be in the mix next season.  I say no way.  And yeah, with you, I don’t ever want to see either of them again.  They’re just awful. 

I mean they can drive the Zamboni or something, as long as they don't wear a jersey and I don't know it is them at all. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Mean Girls No GIF

2003 version of the Devils looked like this Lindsay.

th?id=OIP.F9Osqf41TZeeIZvsiFePvwHaDt&pid=Api&P=0&w=368&h=184

Current version of the Devils looks like...well, this Lindsay:

th?id=OIP.yLJsY6RdPHWLNZr00xdFqAHaE8&pid=Api&P=0&w=260&h=173

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don’t want to see Daws at all next year either.  That would mean the proper 1st and 2nd string have sh!t the bed once again.  Then again Fitz is too fvcking useless to find reliable goaltending so I’m sure one of those losers will be back in net next year.  Amazing to imagine that every goalie who played for them this year was pretty much horrendous and shouldn’t be considered a backup on any team in the league.  How do the devils suck so much at finding any reliable goaltending since Marty left?  Is that just the hockey gods cursing the devils for having the best goalie for all those years?  It’s really unfathomable.

5 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

I don’t want to see Daws at all next year either.  That would mean the proper 1st and 2nd string have sh!t the bed once again.  Then again Fitz is too fvcking useless to find reliable goaltending so I’m sure one of those losers will be back in net next year.  Amazing to imagine that every goalie who played for them this year was pretty much horrendous and shouldn’t be considered a backup on any team in the league.  How do the devils suck so much at finding any reliable goaltending since Marty left?  Is that just the hockey gods cursing the devils for having the best goalie for all those years?  It’s really unfathomable.

Bernier was a solid signing at the time.  And the Devils weren't going to bail on Mac just one season into a three-year "Show Me" bridge deal.  Unfortunately everything that could've wrong with any goalie two-some did.  Daws wasn't ready (neither was Schmid), and it's doubtful that any deal for a "better" goalie this season would've made that much of a difference, given the joke of a system employed by the coaching staff.  I'm much more annoyed with Fitz about the coaching situation.

That being said, Fitz and the Devils don't get a pass forever, re:  the goalies.  Whatever Fitz decides on next (giving Mac and Bernier another year, or trying to improve from outside the organization), he's gotta get it right.  Goalies can be a little unpredictable, but that excuse only goes so far.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The question that won't be answered today will be who's actually in goal for the Devils next year...I have no idea, none.  I'm interested in Husso, but can't pretend that he's some absolute sure thing...over his last 25 GP (since 1/29), he's put up a .908 save%.  He could very well come here and not be anything special either (though "not anything special" would be an upgrade over much of the goaltending we saw from the Devils in 2021-22).    

Fitz is the same guy who acquired Gillies and an injured-at-the-time Hammond.  I don't have much confidence in him regarding anything in goal right now.

48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

2003 version of the Devils looked like this Lindsay.

th?id=OIP.F9Osqf41TZeeIZvsiFePvwHaDt&pid=Api&P=0&w=368&h=184

Current version of the Devils looks like...well, this Lindsay:

th?id=OIP.yLJsY6RdPHWLNZr00xdFqAHaE8&pid=Api&P=0&w=260&h=173

You could have also just used her present day face. 

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Its the old "allergic to sh!tty hockey" allergy running rampant. 

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You could have also just used her present day face. 

That was Plan A, but couldn't find a photo that worked quite as well.

38 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Fitz is the same guy who acquired Gillies and an injured-at-the-time Hammond.  I don't have much confidence in him regarding anything in goal right now.

Yeah, this. While I don't know sh!t about McKay I don't know how we assume Fitz passed on him. Just because he he didn't end up here and signed with Toronto? Are we assuming Fitz was even awake during the whole time?  

@Chimaira_Devil_#9 thank you for posting the pics of our #1 laser focused and ready to go. Sums up my feelings about him perfectly for the last year+

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1