GDT: Capitals @ Devils 7PM 10/24

Nicomo

36 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah but all in all. We can assume they could bring similar production through the season. Holtz being on the upswing and Tatar on the downswing. But for the team it's better to have Tatar doing well than Holtz at the moment. Hes getting paid more and we can trade him at the deadline for assets so the better he does the better so i understand giving him the extra help to turn it around. Holtz is still young and CAN learn from watching the game.

I think if you're potentially stunting the growth of the only shot-first winger in your organization in an attempt to artificially inflate the trade value of a guy who's averaging 12 goals per 82 games played since he's turned 30 years old, the front office and/or coaching staff truly cannot see the forest for the trees. 

Holtz needs to get the opportunities that Mercer, Bratt, Nico, Zacha, and every other top pick in the organization got. He's faster than Tatar, he plays with more energy and urgency than Tatar, he has better hands and better vision than Tatar, he has one of the best shots on the entire team. He needs to get more rope here. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I think if you're potentially stunting the growth of the only shot-first winger in your organization in an attempt to artificially inflate the trade value of a guy who's averaging 12 goals per 82 games played since he's turned 30 years old, the front office and/or coaching staff truly cannot see the forest for the trees. 

Holtz needs to get the opportunities that Mercer, Bratt, Nico, Zacha, and every other top pick in the organization got. He's faster than Tatar, he plays with more energy and urgency than Tatar, he has better hands and better vision than Tatar, he has one of the best shots on the entire team. He needs to get more rope here. 

Why are you saying potentially stunting the growth ? When i specifically said that "my guess" was that they put Tatar out there while Holtz is learning while being kept aside. So it's not like they are just sitting him JUST so Tatar plays more. It's a win-win. I actually also think that this is just how i see it and that in reality the coaches never had the dilema of holtz vs Tatar on the table.

Ruff said that the main reason Holtz was kept aside was because the team needed to access their full speed for those games (and it sure worked). And that Holtz has been working on that hard, we always knew he wasn't the best or fastest skater but on top of that, it's not just... physically trying to be faster but also thinking faster as our team is insanely fast which means having to make decisions even faster. And since he's also not terrible defensively by any means but also not excellent. That's all stuff he's certainly working on watching games, videos and spending time with coaches.

So i personally don't see this as potentially hurting his development for nothing. It should technically help. Rushing players who are not 100% ready can hurt development just as much.

edit: Actually according to this article it had more to do with Bratt being given more ice time and going with vets / cutting to 3 lines https://www.nj.com/devils/2022/10/why-devils-alexander-holtz-saw-limited-ice-time-in-4-2-win-vs-ducks.html

Edited by SterioDesign

Holtz is never going to learn how to play in the NHL if he's not playing in the NHL. The guy scored a goal in the only game this season that he was given a respectable amount of ice time! Tatar's trade value probably doesn't get much better TBH. He already has a reputation of being ineffective in the playoffs, and his 0 points through 5 games isn't boosting that value any higher. 

Ruff is probably sticking with 11/7 until the Devils lose a game, which is pretty silly since Smith has been so bad. If he's going to stick with it, though, I'd like him to rotate Zetterlund (and maybe even Boqvist) in for Bastian or McLeod. If these guys aren't moving the needle much anyway, might as well see what you've got in Zetterlund. As far as Holtz, Ruff clearly wants to maximize veterans' (other than Bratt's) ice time since his job became in jeopardy.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, nessus said:

Holtz is never going to learn how to play in the NHL if he's not playing in the NHL. The guy scored a goal in the only game this season that he was given a respectable amount of ice time! Tatar's trade value probably doesn't get much better TBH. He already has a reputation of being ineffective in the playoffs, and his 0 points through 5 games isn't boosting that value any higher. 

Ruff is probably sticking with 11/7 until the Devils lose a game, which is pretty silly since Smith has been so bad. If he's going to stick with it, though, I'd like him to rotate Zetterlund (and maybe even Boqvist) in for Bastian or McLeod. If these guys aren't moving the needle much anyway, might as well see what you've got in Zetterlund. As far as Holtz, Ruff clearly wants to maximize veterans' (other than Bratt's) ice time since his job became in jeopardy.

What's silly about it though? If Smith is bad he can just play the other 6 more. And Ruff said that the forwards are loving going 11 cause he can dish extra time.

I know this place will inevitably crash and burn at the minute we are behind or lose a game. But we're playing well now with that setup while Holtz is working on his speed. Cause eventhough he scored that game. He was still lost at times and not always able to keep up. He's still very young, he can 100% learn from watching and working with coaches while the team plays well and hopefully build a bit of a gap between them and the bottom teams

Edited by SterioDesign

And re:  Holtz’s goal…let’s face it, it’s not like it came on a killer ripper…it was a softie.  Not that he won’t score goals on laser beams in the years to come, but I don’t see one fortuitous goal and think “Holtz MUST get more ice time!”  The team is playing better without him.  His time will come, but it doesn’t have to happen for him right this moment.  He’s 20 with just one full North American pro season under his belt.  This is a guy I feel like we can be more patient with.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And re:  Holtz’s goal…let’s face it, it’s not like it came on a killer ripper…it was a softie.  Not that he won’t score goals on laser beams in the years to come, but I don’t see one fortuitous goal and think “Holtz MUST get more ice time!”  The team is playing better without him.  His time will come, but it doesn’t have to happen for him right this moment.  He’s 20 with just one full North American pro season under his belt.  This is a guy I feel like we can be more patient with.  

I agree, and he has only been out a few games. Someone posted a few days ago showing him working very closely with Brylin. There is really no reason to believe they aren't trying to set him up for success. Sometimes that means a stepwise approach.

I’m fine with whatever they decide wrt Holtz, but I’m just tired of seeing Tatar out there. We got rid of the rest of the dead weight (Zacha, Johnsson, Smith, PK, etc) but Tatar’s salary probably results in his guaranteed roster spot more than his play does. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I’m fine with whatever they decide wrt Holtz, but I’m just tired of seeing Tatar out there. We got rid of the rest of the dead weight (Zacha, Johnsson, Smith, PK, etc) but Tatar’s salary probably results in his guaranteed roster spot more than his play does. 

I think I am with you guys on Tatar. He looked like he had life in the preseason and those two losses sucked the life out of him. Give Holtzy a chance with Haula and Wood.