GDT: 11/5/22 10:00 Devils @ Flames Who needs sleep?

Colorado Rockies 1976

3 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

he was one of our best d-men last year. maybe it takes him time to warm up? but yea, he's been bad this year. 

He’s been maddening for much of his whole career.  When the Devils weren’t a good team it was a little easier to take.  Not so much now.  He’s just SO mistake-prone.  

Yeah Seves is a problem but at the same time, I readily admit, who do the Devils sit him for?  At least they’re not against cutting his ice time and benching him within games for now.  He did play better in the third, but he scares me every time he touches the puck these days.

Zetterlund is doing a hell of a job approximating what we were hoping to see from Holtz at this point.  Good for him…he was a guy I never really saw being that much of a factor here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah Seves is a problem but at the same time, I readily admit, who do the Devils sit him for?  At least they’re not against cutting his ice time and benching him within games for now.  He did play better in the third, but he scares me every time he touches the puck these days.

Zetterlund is doing a hell of a job approximating what we were hoping to see from Holtz at this point.  Good for him…he was a guy I never really saw being that much of a factor here.

It's a dead horse.

I don't think anything's going to happen there this season, but with Hughes and Nemec on the cusp we all know his time is limited...at least on the power play....you'd think, anyway. I really hope they move Smith out for Bahl sooner than later. I just don't get that one.

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

It's a dead horse.

I don't think anything's going to happen there this season, but with Hughes and Nemec on the cusp we all know his time is limited...at least on the power play....you'd think, anyway. I really hope they move Smith out for Bahl sooner than later. I just don't get that one.

Yeah Seves won’t be here past this season, but he could be moved at or before the deadline, IF there’s a way to plug in a decent replacement.  Nemec is just a call up away, but I’m guessing he’d really have to show a ton with Utica to get a look with the big club…for one, if he doesn’t start playing full-time with the Devils until next season, his ELC won’t kick in until then.  And of course he’s only in his Age 18/19 year…Devils can afford to be patient with him.  Okhotiuk is in the mix too of course, but he’s only played in one game so far…looked around but didn’t see any info on his health (I’m assuming he’s injured).  Not sure if Walsh would ever be a “Get by with” kind of option down the line, but that goes back to what I was saying before…as much as Seves makes me insane with the costly mistakes, what do the Devils have from within who’s pushing him at this time?  Doubtful it’s ever going to be Walsh.

And yeah the Devils obviously like Smith and really want to see him find his game because in his case, you could absolutely give Bahl a look at Smith’s expense…he’s just been so disappointing.

Anyway, the Devils just had themselves a hell of a trip…last year’s Devils maybe bank two points, based on how the final two games evolved.  I would’ve been plenty happy with four…if they had lost last night, I could’ve lived with it…that’s the kind of trip where you’ll happily take 3-4 points.  To nab all 6, especially in such exciting fashion…way to go boys, way to go!  Now if Seves could just stop with the mind-numbing mistakes that have that way of leading to goals against…

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Severson looked atrocious from the whole two periods he was allowed to play. Kudos to Ruff for actually benching his ass in the 2nd after the second gifted goal he gave Calgary.

i crashed midway through the third, when they had sustained pressure i woulda been happy just forcing OT.

but holy sh!t this team. This goddamn team. I know its 12 games, but this team fights mostly the entire game, and when they take their shifts off, for now, they’re not ending up in the back of the net. That part is significantly different from damn near the last decade of hockey.

And that part, is what makes watching games so much more fun for a change

19 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Severson looked atrocious from the whole two periods he was allowed to play. Kudos to Ruff for actually benching his ass in the 2nd after the second gifted goal he gave Calgary.

i crashed midway through the third, when they had sustained pressure i woulda been happy just forcing OT.

but holy sh!t this team. This goddamn team. I know its 12 games, but this team fights mostly the entire game, and when they take their shifts off, for now, they’re not ending up in the back of the net. That part is significantly different from damn near the last decade of hockey.

And that part, is what makes watching games so much more fun for a change

Ruff had a good quote…basically said that the Devils would have to become comfortable with being made uncomfortable within games.  And that makes tons of sense…when you’re winning the way that the Devils are, and doing it against teams good and bad, the rest of the league is going to take notice in a hurry.  That means suddenly you’re no longer the team that represents a good opportunity for an opposing backup goalie to get some work…or an easy couple of points for a contender.

To the Flames’ credit, they did make adjustments and the Devils had a much tougher time over the final two periods.  I would expect more of that going forward.

Continued kudos to Marino…yet another thing that’s been great about him is that even when he’s beat, he has a way of making sure it’s not fully clean…he’ll find a way to still disrupt things, slightly slow his opponent down, etc.  He’s why Severson’s averaged less than 18 minutes TOI since the second game of the season…last year Seves gets 22+ TOI per game out of pure necessity.  

11 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

not givin up on sevs yet. sorry 

I’m not “giving up” on him but I also don’t see a place for him on this team beyond this year with both the NHL and prospect depth we have on D.   It would be criminal to lock ourselves into the type of contract I think someone will give him on the open market.   

I think it gets a bit lost because of the McLeod and Zacha picks, but the Devils actually did a really nice job of building through the draft from 2015-18.   I know Fitz deserves some credit for turning Smith into Marino but we got at least 2 NHL players per year including some top end talent from those 4 drafts. 

Coming out with Blackwood, Bratt, Hischier, Marino, Bastian, Sharangovich, Zetterlund, Huala, and McLeod makes up a an important and sizable portion of this roster. Hopefully you can throw Bovqist in there too at some point.   

19 minutes ago, pumpkin cutter said:

not givin up on sevs yet. sorry 

I’ve seen enough of him to know what he’s been and what he’ll continue to be, and if there was someone shredding it at Utica to take his place, I’d absolutely want the Devils to pursue that option.  But such an option currently doesn’t exist, so the Devils are doing the next best thing; holding Seves accountable and not just giving him tons of minutes due to lack of talent elsewhere.  He’s migrated down the depth chart, based on other guys being better/more reliable, and as a far as the state of the Devils go, that’s absolutely a good thing. 

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I think it gets a bit lost because of the McLeod and Zacha picks, but the Devils actually did a really nice job of building through the draft from 2015-18.   I know Fitz deserves some credit for turning Smith into Marino but we got at least 2 NHL players per year including some top end talent from those 4 drafts. 

Coming out with Blackwood, Bratt, Hischier, Marino, Bastian, Sharangovich, Zetterlund, Huala, and McLeod makes up a an important and sizable portion of this roster. Hopefully you can throw Bovqist in there too at some point.   

I think this sounds about right. The foundations were always strong and it's nice to see something coming together. We aren't sure what is coming together, but I think it's something. 

Sometimes "previous admin" is the right answer and Shero does deserve a little bit of credit for those years. While mostly bad, they weren't all bad. We all had fun in 2018 when Taylor Ham went on his crazy tear and this team was drafting well with some #1 overalls sprinkled in there. 

8 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

You’ve also got at least one big-time overachiever in that batch in Bratt, given where he was selected.  Obviously very early for Zetterlund but he looks like a guy who at least has a shot to exceed expectations.  And Sharangovich was a former 5th-rounder.  And of course always nice to find solid 4th-liners from within because you don’t have to pay them $2 million AAV or so via UFA.

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I’ve seen enough of him to know what he’s been and what he’ll continue to be, and if there was someone shredding it at Utica to take his place, I’d absolutely want the Devils to pursue that option.  But such an option currently doesn’t exist, so the Devils are doing the next best thing; holding Seves accountable and not just giving him tons of minutes due to lack of talent elsewhere.  He’s migrated down the depth chart, based on other guys being better/more reliable, and as a far as the state of the Devils go, that’s absolutely a good thing. 

At the end of the day, we have to ask the question, is he better than Marino now and will he better than Nemec down the line and I just don't see it. He's just not. Maybe if we sucked and Marino came in and played like sh!t to start the year, it wouldn't be so easy to contrast. 

Maybe if Severson played more like a top pairing guy throughout his career, the Devils wouldn't have felt the need to go out there and get guys like Hamilton and Marino, but they did and they are outplaying Severson at this point. Sentimentality aside, it's probably time and we can say that he pretty safely played himself off this roster. I would thank him for his service and for sticking with this team through some real sh!t, but I'm hopping on the "trade him for picks" boat, he just is the player that he is and I wish him the best. If he really wants to be here, then he can sign a 3-4 million dollar a year deal for 1 more or 2 more years here to play our 3rd paring (which would be a silly choice) and move up during injury or something or he can go make the market value 4-6 million that he could probably get playing in Canada somewhere. I could see Toronto, OTT, Winnipeg, or EDM, needing another defender. Hell, try to send him to Vegas 

He was horrible last night most of the game. I'm really glad that Ruff is holding everyone accountable and he really doesn't fvck around when the team gets SH Goals against. He benched Bratt for his pass to no one in the offensive zone during a PP and Severson caught that bug tonight. There's a pretty clear message being sent, "You aren't going to get benched unless you turn the puck over on an important powerplay and give up a SH goal."

Edited by RizzMB30

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You’ve also got at least one big-time overachiever in that batch in Bratt, given where he was selected.  Obviously very early for Zetterlund but he looks like a guy who at least has a shot to exceed expectations.  And Sharangovich was a former 5th-rounder.  And of course always nice to find solid 4th-liners from within because you don’t have to pay them $2 million AAV or so via UFA.

I know I’m getting way way ahead of myself but that’s kind of what the successful builds do, right?    You look at teams like Edmonton and Toronto and for all the crap the stars get about not being more successful, those management teams have literally never hit on anything of significance outside of like the top 7 picks and that lack of depth I would argue hurts them more than anything. 

I preface this with comment with the fact that I know we’re a long way from the Chicago or Pittsburgh dynasties after 12 games but those teams are not the same if they’re not pulling Duncan Keith’s and Kris Letangs out of the later rounds.   Chicago especially was getting one contributor after another out of the later rounds of the draft back then.   Again, don’t kill me on the comparisons, just the examples I can think off of the top of my head about why those picks outside of the top 10 are so important.  

edit:  I just re-read my post and I am clearly still amped from sweeping western Canada 😂

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

Seves has played himself out of the Devils’ future plans, no question, but I don’t think he was ever really in them, due to the money he can make in UFA, and of course L Hughes and Nemec.

Seves is the kind of guy who is ripe to be overpaid by one of two types of teams:  

1) A bad team with money to spend who makes the mistake of thinking signing a Seves-type to relatively big money will make a significant difference and somehow result in a flawed and/or limited player becoming a cornerstone.  Of course this also depends if the player involved it willing to take the best offer regardless of who’s making it.

2) A decent team who becomes desperate when higher-profile players simply aren’t available to them via trade, or refuse to take their money.  It becomes a “We gotta do SOMETHING” scenario, where that team then pivots to a guy who is almost destined to disappoint…especially once he’s overpaid.

Yeah depending what other defenseman are available in the trade market, gotta think Seves can fetch at least a second-rounder.  He did manage 46 points last season…clearly a career year, but at least it just happened.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Seves has played himself out of the Devils’ future plans, no question, but I don’t think he was ever really in them, due to the money he can make in UFA, and of course L Hughes and Nemec.

Seves is the kind of guy who is ripe to be overpaid by one of two types of teams:  

1) A bad team with money to spend who makes the mistake of thinking signing a Seves-type to relatively big money will make a significant difference and somehow result in a flawed and/or limited player becoming a cornerstone.  Of course this also depends if the player involved it willing to take the best offer regardless of who’s making it.

2) A decent team who becomes desperate when higher-profile players simply aren’t available to them via trade, or refuse to take their money.  It becomes a “We gotta do SOMETHING” scenario, where that team then pivots to a guy who is almost destined to disappoint…especially once he’s overpaid.

Yeah depending what other defenseman are available in the trade market, gotta think Seves can fetch at least a second-rounder.  He did manage 46 points last season…clearly a career year, but at least it just happened.

If we trade him it better be for a 1st and.... He's not some slum.