Blackwood update

Nicomo

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s been clear to me since last season, his Devils days are likely done. 

The fact that he was looking like might play again had me upgrading him to "dark horse" status, but yeah, now he's just toast.  I'm guessing he calls it quits after this season.  

20 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Curious why you see Brennan as a better bet than Daws? Daws was the top rated North American goalie in his draft class, and a 3rd round pick. 

To be fair, I admittedly am not great at evaluating goalies. But it's based on a few things. First, it's from watching Brennan: he's very athletic, composed, and positionally strong. But also, I'm just not as high on Daws as I'd like to be. He was drafted as an overager after really just one good season. And I wouldn't say he's definitely the best AHL goalie we have either. Currently Schmid has been better this season. Most of last season, they were neck-and-neck with a slight edge to Schmid. But Marty really likes Daws, so I have hope that he sees something special in him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nessus said:

To be fair, I admittedly am not great at evaluating goalies. But it's based on a few things. First, it's from watching Brennan: he's very athletic, composed, and positionally strong. But also, I'm just not as high on Daws as I'd like to be. He was drafted as an overager after really just one good season. And I wouldn't say he's definitely the best AHL goalie we have either. Currently Schmid has been better this season. Most of last season, they were neck-and-neck with a slight edge to Schmid. But Marty really likes Daws, so I have hope that he sees something special in him.

The thing I liked about Daws is that after he didn’t get drafted his first year of eligibility, he lost 25 pounds and focused on improving his game. I think that showed some mental strength and determination which is important for a goalie. But Schmid has really been a cut above him in the AHL. The only reason I hold Daws above him at the moment is that he performed better in the NHL last year. 

But like you, I like Brennan most out of the goalie prospects. I’m guessing we’ll see him in the AHL next year. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Fvck that guy. 

tbf if my first couple practices had PK Subban skating like a toddler on a learn-to-walk toy, Ty Smith slowly spinning in confused circles and Will Butcher repeatedly forgetting that he's a defenseman and not a men's-league right winger, I'd probably be like "yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa I got family stuff haha see ya." 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Crawford? I never had any hate for him. It’s unfortunate but he just wasn’t in it mentally. Can’t force someone to play when he just didn’t have it in him anymore

Sure if you want to be "rational" and "make sense"...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

In the comments about fanatic shirts, that's pretty bad lol... 

Fanatics clothing is absolutely the worst, and its now about 90% of all merch that's available. Not to mention, extremely overpriced as a result. $45 for a screen printed team t-shirt. 

And that's coming from me, who has no issue spending money on quality clothing, for sure. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Fanatics clothing is absolutely the worst, and its now about 90% of all merch that's available. Not to mention, extremely overpriced as a result. $45 for a screen printed team t-shirt. 

And that's coming from me, who has no issue spending money on quality clothing, for sure. 

Yeah you can tell their crap is exactly that - CRAP.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Just go with Schmid and Daws.  It can’t be worse or could it?

D465F770-550A-4F52-8E9E-521490DB8E7F.jpeg

77C4886A-ACD4-4438-A317-DB70DEBBCC7B.jpeg

It’s a much different team from when those numbers were put up. Schmid looked ok if not a little bit shaky but that can be expected coming in cold in a tie game. Schmid is probably fine for a start tomorrow if it gives Vanecek time to get ready for Montreal