Trade Deadline Targets: Discuss

mikepeluso8

13 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The Devils need ANOTHER top 6 winger. Losing one to gain one doesn't help the situation.

Not to mention I doubt San Jose is looking to trade a RFA due for a pricey extension for another RFA due for a pricey extension of his own.  That would make little sense.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not to mention I doubt San Jose is looking to trade a RFA due for a pricey extension for another RFA due for a pricey extension of his own.  That would make little sense.

Bratt is 24 and Timo is 26. SJare currently looking to re-build out of the next several drafts with 18yo kids. It isn't like Bratt is miles ahead as far as really fitting in their timeline, not that he doesn't fit but if he did they'd just keep Meier.

Edited by NJDevils1214

22 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Bratt is 24 and Timo is 26. SJare currently looking to re-build out of the next several drafts with 18yo kids. It isn't like Bratt is miles ahead as far as really fitting in their timeline, not that he doesn't fit but if he did they'd just keep Meier.

Yeah that was pretty much what I was getting at…they might as well just stick with what they know and keep Meier instead of dealing him for Bratt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah that was pretty much what I was getting at…they might as well just stick with what they know and keep Meier instead of dealing him for Bratt.

Gotcha. Yea, I only see Bratt getting traded if he loses his game of chicken with Fitz and that prob won't be until after the season is over.

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Holtz, Casey and a 1st is one of the more realistic offers I’ve seen.  I’d do it from Devils standpoint and for Sharks, that’s a good start towards a rebuild.   

• Like 1

I've always been under the impression a "qualifying" offer is typically a certain % above current salary.  Like 15%?? How does Meier have 10 mil qualifying offer? Did San Jose offer that much to resign him.?? Also heard today Horvat same amount? 1o mil?  Can someone explain how qualifying works?

35 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Holtz, Casey and a 1st is one of the more realistic offers I’ve seen.  I’d do it from Devils standpoint and for Sharks, that’s a good start towards a rebuild.   

I’d do that too.  I’d be pleasantly surprised if that was enough.  

So as we know, Horvat to the Isles for a decent NHLer (Beauvillier), a prospect (Raty), and a Top-12 protected 2023 first rounder.

Feels like a desperation move on Lou’s part…the cost doesn’t really seem too bad, but not sure Horvat will be enough to get the Isles into a playoff berth…not to mention that he’s a big-time regression candidate…he’s shooting 21.7%, which doesn’t figure to continue.  And is Lou buying or renting?  

49 minutes ago, devlman said:

The isles are going nowhere fast. Lou continues to mortgage their future giving up the first rounder.

It’s a slightly better move if Lou can sign him long term but I think he’s gonna want to hit the market and cash in. Just seems like a bad move to trade a 1st and a prospect to get a rental when you aren’t even in a playoff spot. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Not sure why anyone would want to sign with the Isles right now. He’s probably out of there after the season. 

I don’t see why not.  They have Barzal, Lee, Nelson, and now Horvat, a good young D and a great goalie.  Almost everyone on their roster is signed for 3 seasons or more.  The window is closing, but they still have time.  Although, playing in Long Island may not be appealing.

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It’s a slightly better move if Lou can sign him long term but I think he’s gonna want to hit the market and cash in. Just seems like a bad move to trade a 1st and a prospect to get a rental when you aren’t even in a playoff spot. 

He may want to stay.  He has connections with 4 current Islanders: “In 2018, Horvat was a member of Team Canada's World Championship team, alongside current Islanders Josh Bailey, Mathew Barzal, Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Ryan Pulock.”

On a side note, he was the 9th pick Lou traded to Vancouver for CS.

18 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I don’t see why not.  They have Barzal, Lee, Nelson, and now Horvat, a good young D and a great goalie.  Almost everyone on their roster is signed for 3 seasons or more.  The window is closing, but they still have time.  Although, playing in Long Island may not be appealing.

Because the Metro is an absolute gauntlet, and they’re without a doubt a bottom 3 team in the division. Even with Horvat. 

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Because the Metro is an absolute gauntlet, and they’re without a doubt a bottom 3 team in the division. Even with Horvat. 

They are only 2 points out of a playoff spot and 10th in the conference and they have a pretty good core.  Currently, they are third worst from the bottom, but two points behind the Pens and 3 behind the Caps is hardly a bottom 3 team.  Over the next two months the Pens and Caps could be out and the Sabers, Islanders or Florida are in.  They could very well finish where they are, but to say without a doubt, we will have to disagree.

3 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

They are only 2 points out of a playoff spot and 10th in the conference and they have a pretty good core.  Currently, they are third worst from the bottom, but two points behind the Pens and 3 behind the Caps is hardly a bottom 3 team.  Over the next two months the Pens and Caps could be out and the Sabers, Islanders or Florida are in.  They could very well finish where they are, but to say without a doubt, we will have to disagree.

image.gif.9a4a5415f2a26da1dc7c7764faba7da6.gif

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Amazing, you think you are so spot on with your assessment that you reply like a condescending ass.  Why?  Was I disrespectful?  

You literally mentioned in your post that the Isles are currently bottom 3 in the division (which was my point), and then for some reason you went on to say “but they’re hardly a bottom 3 team.” I don’t know how else to react to that other than confusion. 

Edited by Nicomo

42 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

Amazing, you think you are so spot on with your assessment that you reply like a condescending ass.  Why?  Was I disrespectful?  

He literally posted a funny gif. Get your panties out of your ass. You're lucky you somehow survived the Provorov thread purge since you were one of the main sh!t-stirrers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You literally mentioned in your post that the Isles are currently bottom 3 in the division (which was my point), and then for some reason you went on to say “but they’re hardly a bottom 3 team.” I don’t know how else to react to that other than confusion. 

Yeah, but I also said they are only 2 points behind the Pens and 3 behind the Caps.  You said they are “without a doubt a bottom 3 team in the division” with over two months to go.  That is like saying, the Avs are without a doubt a wild card team.  That would ridiculous to say.  Are they the wagon like last year?  I would say no, because they were getting timely goaltending and losing Kadri was huge, but they are still cup contenders.

None of us know how anything will play out and most is conjecture, speculation, gut feeling, etc.  I responded to your post respectfully and with points to back up my opinion, outlook, assessment, whatever, and I get back the look of confusion?

Despite the “current” standings and how teams are currently constructed, I don’t think the Islanders are bottom 3 team.  Without Horvat they are a very capable team to take a wild card spot and with Horvat, in my most humble opinion, makes them more than capable.  Could that change, yes.  Could I be wrong?  Hell yes.  Is anyone else’s outlook without a doubt accurate?  fvck no.  Injuries, future acquisitions or a team or two that gets hot down the stretch could change all that.

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

He literally posted a funny gif. Get your panties out of your ass. You're lucky you somehow survived the Provorov thread purge since you were one of the main sh!t-stirrers. 

From my perspective, which apparently doesn’t count, only seems to be funny at my expense.  

I didn’t say anything wrong and did not provoke anyone regarding Provorov.  I stated a clear opinion that was not offensive.  If you are going to accuse me of causing trouble then provide the proof.  Otherwise, you are the sh!t stirrer.

3 hours ago, Puckbuster said:

None of us know how anything will play out and most is conjecture, speculation, gut feeling, etc.  I responded to your post respectfully and with points to back up my opinion, outlook, assessment, whatever, and I get back the look of confusion?

Your “points” were merely just naming a handful of their average-ish players. And saying they could dig their way out of the bottom half of the division (which would require help from the teams ahead of them). I don’t really see how that refutes me bringing up that they’re currently a bottom 3 team (in a very strong division), have a GM that is probably on his way out, and just overall not a very sexy or destination right now  

Horvat was traded from one non-playoff team to another. It might not be us sending Hall to Arizona bad, but I just don’t see a guy who’ll have multiple suitors choosing to stay with the Islanders. You obviously feel differently. Let’s leave it at that. 

The Isles have scored two goals or less in 14 out of their last 16 games (amazingly they haven’t been shut out during that stretch).  Yeah Horvat should help, but is he really going to help enough?  And is he going to keep shooting well over 20%?

If Lou’s planning on re-signing him, OK I guess, but this really does feel like a pure desperation move…the Isles’ play to date doesn’t really warrant this kind of all-in move.  Their chances of sneaking into a WC spot still feel very shaky.

Should the Isles continue to struggle and fall too far back in the WC race before the deadline, Lou could go into selling mode and trade Horvat, crazy as that sounds.  If he hangs onto him in such a scenario and the Isles miss the playoffs AND Horvat leaves…oh man Lou, think it’s time to call it quits.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976