GDT: Carolina @ Devils- Game 4 Eastern Conference Semi-Finals 7:00 PM ESPN

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, slasher72 said:

So if keeping Lindy means developing young players but getting embarrassed in the playoffs against veteran teams is that a good tradeoff? I guess short-term it is but for more than 2 years it's not. 

What about keeping him on elsewhere, pitch to him the stress of head coach, encourage working in department of player development 

2 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

So if keeping Lindy means developing young players but getting embarrassed in the playoffs against veteran teams is that a good tradeoff? I guess short-term it is but for more than 2 years it's not. 

Getting swept in the 1st round would have been an embarrassment. This is just a bump in the road big picture wise. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The announcers saying the Devils should go with Blackwood in game 5. 

IMG_5462.gif

I think letting the season end with Blackwood in net would be the one thing that could really sour me on this year.   I don’t ever want to see him in a Devils uniform again.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m legit terrified he’s gonna start Blackwood.

This.

“We needed a spark and Mac’s been a good soldier for us. I figured he’d give us a chance” - he says after the loss where he left him in for 6 in the first.

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

I think letting the season end with Blackwood in net would be the one thing that could really sour me on this year.   I don’t ever want to see him in a Devils uniform again.  

Gotta ride or die with Schmid. He got you here. 

• Like 5

Just now, jagknife said:

This.

“We needed a spark and Mac’s been a good soldier for us. I figured he’d give us a chance” - he says after the loss where he left him in for 6 in the first.

Could totally hear that quote. Please Lindy…. Don’t do it.

Just now, Nicomo said:

Gotta ride or die with Schmid. He got you here. 

IMG_5081.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I always love how people always gotta come in and make folks feel bad for being mad about losing.

Yea, season is a success all things considered. Easily a massive W. But let me fvcking be mad in this moment while they're getting spanked lol.

I think everyone has the right to be mad right now, I'm certainly mad.  Both mad and disappointed.  But I do want to take a moment to express how completely fvcked up I think it is in terms of the attitude and perception some (maybe many) people here have about the team, the staff, and the outlook now and next year.  (this isn't about you in particular even though I'm quoting you, so don't take it personal - this is purely my thoughts on what I've observed here collectively).

First and foremost, the team sh!t the bed tonight.  A quick start with a nice early goal led to them feeling good and getting away from their game which is staying sharp and being responsible with the puck at all times.  The final 5 minutes of the 1st and through the first half of the 2nd period was littered with missed assignments, incoordination, and just downright sloppy play all over.  The goaltending was not great tonight, and you can say what you want about the coaching staff (which includes the decision to start Vanecek), but it is absolutely low-hanging fruit to blame one or both of the goalie and the head coach, and it is such a cop-out.  This team has been around for 40 years and I expect better out of this fanbase than to cherry-pick the coach and goalie for tonight's collapse.  I absolutely agree in having high standards and I'm by no means sheltering Ruff or Vanecek from blame, but there are 18 skaters who flat out failed to compete tonight and made countless mistakes that led to a lopsided game today.  

Turnovers in the slot, loose pucks around the net, you name it.  The last goal was a perfect example - new goalie in net, Martinook streaks down into the zone pretty much as no big threat at all with Hamilton back to defend, and what does he do?  Stands in the middle of the ice without defending the player, and Martinook snipes a perfect shot to the corner.  Can't blame Schmid, and all the credit to Martinook for a great shot. But the bigger problem?  Dougie.  HORRIBLE play on defense there.  Literally a 1 on 1 and he played it poorly.  The game was FULL of that bullsh!t from the 10 minute mark of the 1st through the entire 2nd period.  

Ruff will 100% be the coach of this team next year, and Vanecek will 100% be one of our goalies next year.  To suggest or think otherwise is absolutely ridiculous and I realize some people may be saying that in jest, but for anyone who is actually serious and wants either of those guys gone is just simply stupid.  No other way around it but to say that.  If you want Ruff or Vanecek off this team then you're just not a very smart hockey fan.  Ruff led this team to a historic season with a very young group of players, and Vanecek was solid for most of that time.  

With that said, this team isn't dead.  Of course it doesn't look good and the odds are not in our favor at all, but I have just one thing to point out.  The Panthers.  They were the 8th seed, down 3 games to 1, and went into Boston to win, went back to FL to win again, and then finally took Game 7 in Boston to stun what was statistically the best team ever in the history of the NHL.  Now I ask you - do we have more talent on our roster than the Panthers?  I think so.  Did we have a better record than the Panthers this year?  Yes.  Did we have the most road wins in the league this year?  Yes.  Can we still pull out this series and win three straight to keep our Cup chances alive? YES.  

It's cliche as fvck, but as most coaches will say, the answer is "in the locker room".  This team has the talent. They are young, they've made mistakes, and they have paid for them.  It's up to them to determine how bad they want it and if they can find it within themselves to understand what they've done wrong and correct it.  

Thursday may be the final game of this season for us, and if it is, I will look back fondly on this season as I hope many of us do (and should), but I am by no means counting this team out. There's a millions reasons to be mad and upset right now - I challenge everyone on this forum to find the reasons to be optimistic and hopeful that this team can do something remarkable and isn't ready to go home yet.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jagknife said:

What about keeping him on elsewhere, pitch to him the stress of head coach, encourage working in department of player development 

If there's a nice position we could give him in player development I'd be in board with that! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hit the post said:

Nothing like an at home playoff azz whipping......Schmid is next years starter....VV is toast.

Yeah but Schmid will be a rookie so we’re going to need a 1B to take 35-40 starts.  VV is a perfectly acceptable option for that.  Hopefully by the time the playoffs start though it will be crystal clear who is the #1 (Schmid) 

At 3-1 down it looks all but over, but we have seen from this team time and time again this season that they can find a way.

So until it's officially over I am not giving up hope, but they are going to have to come out in the next game and play some of the tightest most disciplined hockey this group has ever played before. 

Just to say though, I am annoyed at Lindy for bailing on Schmid after one rough game. Not giving him another game would be unforgivable, and starting Blackwood would be a fireable offence. 

• Like 3

Just got home…called it a night after being down 6-1.  There just was no reason to stick around.

Lots o’ thoughts…VV has proven himself as a fine regular season 1B who can handle 1A duty if need be…you can do worse.  BUT he 100% cannot be trusted to handle playoff duty…you can’t start the playoffs with him and you can’t pivot to him if the guy you’re hoping to roll with either doesn’t get it done or gets hurt.  Devils can start next season with VV as part of a tandem, but Fitz should explore upgrading over him before or at the deadline.  I appreciate everything he did during the regular season; he was a BIG part of this team’s success, but you just can’t come up THIS small in the playoffs.

Saddest part is that the dream that was the 2022-23 season is coming to an end.  I can’t see the Devils coming back from this.  Even if the idea of going deep in these playoffs was really reaching for the stars…it’s still hard to see it all coming to an end.  This was FUN.  On so many levels.  It was a hell of a year.  And when it ends, I’m going to miss it.  I am going to miss Devils hockey.  And if nothing else, it’s nice to be able to at least say THAT.  

• Like 6

Silver lining is that I was able to leave after two periods without any angst.

Goal remains the big hole in the rebuild.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Bratt out, Hellebuyck in (would require multiple transactions).

Edited by smelly