The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I fvcking love this kid. 

This is clearly Nico and Jack’s team.  I think they both complement each other in providing young leadership for the Devils.

That being said, it wouldn’t surprise me if they both had a heart-to-heart with Bratt and asked him “What exactly do you want?  We can have a hell of a good thing here for several years.  Is your priority to stay with the Devils AND sign a plenty acceptable deal, or are you just looking to squeeze every last damn penny out of this franchise?  There’s a lot of guys here who want to WIN.”  It wouldn’t even shock me if they called him out on a pretty meh playoff performance.  Timo may not have put up points until the end, but I never doubted his level of compete or commitment…he seemed ENGAGED.  Bratt not so much.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is clearly Nico and Jack’s team.  I think they both complement each other in providing young leadership for the Devils.

That being said, it wouldn’t surprise me if they both had a heart-to-heart with Bratt and asked him “What exactly do you want?  We can have a hell of a good thing here for several years.  Is your priority to stay with the Devils AND sign a plenty acceptable deal, or are you just looking to squeeze every last damn penny out of this franchise?  There’s a lot of guys here who want to WIN.”  It wouldn’t even shock me if they called him out on a pretty meh playoff performance.  Timo may not have put up points until the end, but I never doubted his level of compete or commitment…he seemed ENGAGED.  Bratt not so much.  

Honestly I really hope they did, after this season and run they all know it’s just a taste. Everyone is motivated it seems and is going to bay their ass in the off season to come back bigger and better. This kid needs to make a decision on if he wants to be part of this thing or not. I hope fitz doesn’t let him drag us through the mud and as a result hold up other priorities. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

This man is a fvcking Devil: 

IMG_6331.gif

He really won me over with his play the last third of the season and then in the playoffs.   Honestly, aside from flubbing so many prime scoring chances that had us all so frustrated early in the year, he was always a pretty good two way player for us.  Glad he’s apparently coming back.  

Bonus: I think this is my favorite gif.   I copy and paste it into texts to my Dad after every Haula goal.   Makes me laugh every time.  

• EvilHeart 3

14 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Honestly I really hope they did, after this season and run they all know it’s just a taste. Everyone is motivated it seems and is going to bay their ass in the off season to come back bigger and better. This kid needs to make a decision on if he wants to be part of this thing or not. I hope fitz doesn’t let him drag us through the mud and as a result hold up other priorities. 

I think Fitz has this all well under control.  I think he’s as sick of the haggling that comes with Bratt’s camp as anyone.  I get the feeling we’ll know sooner than later if Bratt’s here long-term, or if he’s on a one-year deal with Fitz intending to move him for whatever he can get.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Fitz has this all well under control.  I think he’s as sick of the haggling that comes with Bratt’s camp as anyone.  I get the feeling we’ll know sooner than later if Bratt’s here long-term, or if he’s on a one-year deal with Fitz intending to move him for whatever he can get.  

Jack sounded like he was kind of annoyed with Bratt too. Like, not annoyed like ‘I hate this guy’, but annoyed as in ‘look, we want you here, you’re a good player, but sh!t or get off the pot’. I’d be fine moving on if Bratt is gonna insist on anything over $6.5 million AAV. Just get Timo signed before anything. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Jack sounded like he was kind of annoyed with Bratt too. Like, not annoyed like ‘I hate this guy’, but annoyed as in ‘look, we want you here, you’re a good player, but sh!t or get off the pot’. I’d be fine moving on if Bratt is gonna insist on anything over $6.5 million AAV. Just get Timo signed before anything. 

Unless Bratt really elevates and shows something he hasn't really shown us yet, consistency, I wouldn't feel it would be a win to give him anymore than Nico at most.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I suspect it’s more of a “Will you just fvcking make up your mind about fully committing to this?!” kind of thing.  Bratt’s said on more than one occasion about how his goal has been to stay…I’m sure some of the guys are thinking “Fitz has given you offers…get it DONE already.”  I think more than a few people within the organization are just getting tired of all of this. 

• Like 3

Jack Hughes needs to learn from NY Legends like Derek Jeter, Eli Manning, Aaron Judge and now guys like Jalen Brunson: this is a business.  Let the business team and front office do their job and you stick to your job of shooting pucks.  Kid is going to learn the hard way--you don't mettle in the business negotiations or business decisions of your teammates.  Sorry--bad look for him.

Edited by mikepeluso8
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

If there's a chance to get Connor Hellebuyck ..... that's the kind of deal we might look back on and say .... thank god we did that. I respect smelly's opinion on this one. 

It's not Schmid who makes this a hard decision. It's Vitek. He had a good season, and it seems hardly fair for him to be sent packing. His playoff performance set off alarm bells, however.  

6 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

If there's a chance to get Connor Hellebuyck ..... that's the kind of deal we might look back on and say .... thank god we did that. I respect smelly's opinion on this one. 

It's not Schmid who makes this a hard decision. It's Vitek. He had a good season, and it seems hardly fair for him to be sent packing. His playoff performance set off alarm bells, however.  

The problem is his age and price…and the fact he becomes a UFA after next season.  Hard to think that he won’t get around $10 million AAV from someone…for what will be Age 31 and beyond seasons.  If the Devils window was nearing the end I might understand more of a push to get him, but I don’t think they need make a move like this just yet. 

• Like 1
  • EvilHeart 2

Bratt continuing with the “I really wanna stay, my agent will get it done” rap, Timo more noncommittal.  Not gonna read too much into either of what they’re saying…I have no doubts that Fitz is going to be involved in serious talks with both camps.  And then what happens happens.

https://www.nj.com/devils/2023/05/devils-jack-hughes-to-rfas-jesper-bratt-timo-meier-if-you-want-to-be-in-new-jersey-youve-got-to-sign-the-deal.html?outputType=amp

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Bratt continuing with the “I really wanna stay, my agent will get it done” rap, Timo more noncommittal.  Not gonna read too much into either of what they’re saying…I have no doubts that Fitz is going to be involved in serious talks with both camps.  And then what happens happens.

https://www.nj.com/devils/2023/05/devils-jack-hughes-to-rfas-jesper-bratt-timo-meier-if-you-want-to-be-in-new-jersey-youve-got-to-sign-the-deal.html?outputType=amp

Ratt is going to try and absolve himself if any role in this negotiation by passing the blame off to his agent, isn’t he?

”well I want to be here, but my agent is going to handle it all. I’m going to go back off the grid.”

20 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Devils really need Holtz to be able to develop and become an NHLer.

He has the best shot in the organization.

Hopefully the other parts of his game can catch up a little to his shot. 

More than a little bit.  Kid was nowhere near NHL-ready…he needs a lot of work…still young but not THAT young (he’ll turn 22 during the 2023-24 season).  I consider him a longshot…not writing him off, but I think the hope is that by the start of 2024-25, it starts to really happen for him.

I think by that time though, it’s 50-50 that he’s still a Devil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The problem is his age and price…and the fact he becomes a UFA after next season.  Hard to think that he won’t get around $10 million AAV from someone…for what will be Age 31 and beyond seasons.  If the Devils window was nearing the end I might understand more of a push to get him, but I don’t think they need make a move like this just yet. 

Yep, I understand the concern, especially for the length of contract if the Devils end up being the team that trades for him and starts negotiating an extension.

On 5/14/2023 at 9:33 AM, Jerrydevil said:

Yep, I understand the concern, especially for the length of contract if the Devils end up being the team that trades for him and starts negotiating an extension.

Yeah all the Devils can really offer that another team can’t (as far as a contract alone goes, if they traded for him) is 8 years.  Top dollar for Age 31 - 38 seasons.  That’s way too risky for my blood.

On a side note, I’d consider offering up Holtz for Tom Wilson straight up, if the Caps didn’t play in the Devils’ division, and if Wilson was locked up for a few more years.  But neither of course are true.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

16 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I could certainly be wrong, but at 25 and 21 or whatever their ages are, I just don't see Nico or Jack having that type of Convo with Bratt.  They're all around the same age and I feel like it would be rare/difficult for kids (young adults) nowadays to have that foresight and actually have that serious conversation. I could see it coming from someone who was in there early 30s and had a significant age difference from them - someone who's experienced a little more in their careers and can appreciate the situation they're in. 

Not trying to sell them short by any means, I just know I personally wasn't thinking that far in advance when I was that age and that type of advice certainly didn't come from people my age. And that's without all the fame, money, technology, and other distractions that people that age are faced with today. 

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I really like Jespar Bratt and I appreciate him for what he's done and how he's come from being a 6th rounder. The story is great.  But, I want Fitz to move him for a bigger stronger winger. The D are going to be fast and get the puck down low. We need bangers to take it from there and get the puck to the net for chippy dirty goals. That's not Bratt's game. He doesn't fit a need any more. The Devils have 3 other guys that can do what he does. Maybe they haven't done it at his level but they don't need them to. They are an evolving team.  They need Timo but he's going to be expensive and Claude is going to do what he does. He learned a lot about negotiating in his playing days. The Devils HAVE to pay for Timo.