The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

28 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Taking calls on Rango

He really needs to go to a meh team where he either gets Top 6 minutes by default (maybe he regains some of the scoring touch that he showed in the second half of each of his first two NHL seasons), or some coaching staff tries to convert him to a Bottom 6er who can provide solid offense for a 3rd liner and can be a shorty threat on the PK.  But the latter will require him to develop much more of a physical presence. 

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Damn I kind of had hope for sharangovich, I wonder what we get in return and what we would replace him with

He had his chance to build off last season's second half and he didn’t do nearly enough.

He’s a RFA without a contract so any team dealing for him is technically dealing for his RFA rights…you’re probably looking at a mid-round pick.  If Fitz got a third-rounder for him I’d consider that a good return.  If the pick winds up being in the 2024 or even the 2025 draft, I’m ok with that.  Mentioned this elsewhere but the Devils will need extra picks here and there for deadline rentals…for a guy who no longer has a place here, Fitz getting another pick to stick in his back pocket for flexibility down the line is a nice bonus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don’t forget about Foote and/or Clarke.  Fitz could start the season by giving one of them a good look, and if neither can stick, he can explore a trade in-season.

That being said, I still want no part of him.  

I was thinking Clarke and Holtz could battle it out for the top 9 scoring role that I think Sharangovich kind of never fully grabbed.   Foote can fight it out with Lazar for the spot Wood vacates and then we could add a good veteran wing on a short term contract to the middle six (I’m intrigued by Wheeler) but yeah, you’re right, that you could probably go into the season with some combo of Clarke, Holtz, Boqvist and Foote filling out three bottom 6 spots. 

100% with you on Hellebuyck.  

31 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Damn I kind of had hope for sharangovich, I wonder what we get in return and what we would replace him with

Based on the fact that I think the roster is pretty much filled out, I’m basically just looking for Fitz to exchange him for futures that can be used later in our cup window   

Edited by Lateralous

31 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I was thinking Clarke and Holtz could battle it out for the top 9 scoring role that I think Sharangovich kind of never fully grabbed.   Foote can fight it out with Lazar for the spot Wood vacates and then we could add a good veteran wing on a short term contract to the middle six (I’m intrigued by Wheeler) but yeah, your right, that you could probably go into the season with some combo of Clarke, Holtz, Boqvist and Foote filling out three bottom 6 spots. 

100% with you on Hellebuyck.  

Based on the fact that I think the roster is pretty much filled out, I’m basically just looking for Fitz to exchange him for futures that can be used later in our cup window   

Given the mess that was Holtz’s season last year (including the way he was handled of course), I’m guessing he spends almost all of next year with the Comets, but getting TONS of minutes and with lots of attention being paid to all aspects of his game.  I think the goal is for him to be as polished as possible entering the 2024-25 season…by having played in as many GAMES as possible in 2023-24.

And don’t be surprised if Holtz‘s offensive numbers aren’t as good in the AHL as they were in 2021-22.  I don’t think that offense is going to be the focus…I think some of that is going to be sacrificed for the betterment of his overall game.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Nice move for Colorado.   For all the sh!t he gets, RJ almost always steps up his game significantly in the playoffs.   I 100% believe the Preds would have won the cup if he didn’t have that freak deep muscle injury late in the WCF in 2017 that required emergency surgery.   He’ll be a good short term replacement for the 2c spot that Kadri vacated last summer.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Nice move for Colorado.   For all the sh!t he gets, RJ almost always steps up his game significantly in the playoffs.   I 100% believe the Preds would have won the cup if he didn’t have that freak deep muscle injury late in the WCF in 2017 that required emergency surgery.   He’ll be a good short term replacement for the 2c spot that Kadri vacated last summer.   

For sure, and COL short on movable pieces so Sakic really killed it here. It's also bad news for Filthy who is trying to move Hayes. COl got max retention and didn't even have to give a single draft pick!

Also, I moved this to around the league cause I thought this was the wrong thread.

I know we don't have as many draft picks, but if #17 is traded, can't we get back a serviceable roster player/prospect?  A back up goalie?  bottom 6 fw?  Doesn't have to be a mid round pick.  That mid round draft pick could be 4/5 years away) Maybe, Andrew Peete (CBJ) ? (don't look at plus/minus) the whole team was bad) he seems like odd man out with 2 new D men just acquired

1 hour ago, vincois said:

I know we don't have as many draft picks, but if #17 is traded, can't we get back a serviceable roster player/prospect?  A back up goalie?  bottom 6 fw?  Doesn't have to be a mid round pick.  That mid round draft pick could be 4/5 years away) Maybe, Andrew Peete (CBJ) ? (don't look at plus/minus) the whole team was bad) he seems like odd man out with 2 new D men just acquired

Again, just because Fitz might get “only” a mid-round pick, doesn’t mean he’s guaranteed to hang onto it.  It can be used as part of a package to get immediate help.

Sharangovich is also not under contract and is coming off a largely disappointing season.  His value is not exactly at its highest at the moment.

Also even if a pick is “4 or 5 years away”, the Devils will need young (and CHEAP) talent to come up through the system in the years to come.  Not like some picks are worthless just because they don’t help immediately.  

After re-signing/trading the RFAs and locking up Meier long term, it doesn't seem like there will be all that much for Fitz to do with the roster. I really think that Tatar deserves to be re-signed too, but he will be lower priority than some of the others.

Holtz I think will be given a better opportunity to stick with the lineup. I am worried about how this year was for his development, but I also probably underestimate the value of practicing with the NHL squad for most of the season.

Meier-Hischier-Mercer

Palat-Hughes-Bratt

Tatar-Haula-Holtz

Boqvist/Foote-McLeod-Bastian

Siegenthaler-Hamilton

Hughes-Marino

Bahl-Nemec/Smith/Walsh/Vilen/UFA

Schmid

Vanecek

That RD3 spot could be a battle, unless Fitz is able to work out a short term contract with a veteran for that spot. Walsh I actually don't think has a future here, but because of his waiver eligibility, they may give him a longer look than they normally do. I think it comes down to Nemec vs. a UFA there realistically, with Smith as the 7D. I would be confident with that roster heading into the season.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 6:06 PM, 2ELIAS6 said:

late first\early to mid second. Fitz will not trade Sharangovich for third or later pick with probability 90%.

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

late first\early to mid second. Fitz will not trade Sharangovich for third or later pick with probability 90%.

For a guy who supposed to be able to score some but managed 5 goals over his last 55 NHL games, and ONE goal over his last 25 GP (and let's not forget, was healthy-scratched)?  And who was often flat-out invisible?

If Fitz ever got a first or even a second for him I'd be absolutely over the moon.  But if I'm a fan of the team that made such a move to get him, I gotta wonder what the hell my GM's smoking.  As of right now Sharangovich is a guy you sign to a one-year deal and see if he can do enough to stick...but definitely no guarantees there.  It looks like his current team no longer wants him, and I don't see some bidding war for his services.  So who's giving up anything of real significance for him?  He's a "What the hell, why not?" guy.  He'll absolutely get another look for the same reason a guy like Andreas Johnsson got a shot here...you score 20+ goals (even if it's only once), you'll get another shot.  But guys like that don't fetch more than meh returns.   

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For a guy who supposed to be able to score some but managed 5 goals over his last 55 NHL games, and ONE goal over his last 25 GP (and let's not forget, was healthy-scratched)?  And who was often flat-out invisible?

If Fitz ever got a first or even a second for him I'd be absolutely over the moon.  But if I'm a fan of the team that made such a move to get him, I gotta wonder what the hell my GM's smoking.  As of right now Sharangovich is a guy you sign to a one-year deal and see if he can do enough to stick...but definitely no guarantees there.  It looks like his current team no longer wants him, and I don't see some bidding war for his services.  So who's giving up anything of real significance for him?  He's a "What the hell, why not?" guy.  He'll absolutely get another look for the same reason a guy like Andreas Johnsson got a shot here...you score 20+ goals (even if it's only once), you'll get another shot.  But guys like that don't fetch more than meh returns.   

Johnsson is a good example except for the contract status.   Johnsson got a fat contract handed to him by Dubas after the 20 goal season and then went out and scored 8 goals in the first year of a 4 year deal with an AAV of 3.4.   Getting the RFA rights to Sharangovich and striking your own deal should have more value...I hope.   

I agree though, I really don't think we're getting a first for him.    Chicago has a ton of second rounders.  Hopefully they decide they need a few more NHL ready players to ride with Bedard and send us one of those.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Johnsson is a good example except for the contract status.   Johnsson got a fat contract handed to him by Dubas after the 20 goal season and then went out and scored 8 goals in the first year of a 4 year deal with an AAV of 3.4.   Getting the RFA rights to Sharangovich and striking your own deal should have more value...I hope.   

I agree though, I really don't think we're getting a first for him.    Chicago has a ton of second rounders.  Hopefully they decide they need a few more NHL ready players to ride with Bedard and send us one of those.   

Yeah, even if it's the lowest of Chicago's four second-rounders, I'd consider a second a big-time win.  And when you have THAT many seconds (and assuming the B'Hawks see something in Sharangovich that they really like), maybe they just say "Sure, why not, we still have three more seconds to work with."   

29 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah….. it makes absolutely NO sense. What goes these people’s brains when they write sh!t like this? 

"I want to make some money today. I better find something to write an article about but I have absolutely no talent or insight on a real topic, so I better pull one right out of my ass or I'll have to buy my own Starbucks", is my guess.

• Haha 2