The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

I read tomorrow (June 23rd) GM's can talk to prospective UFA's/RFA's.  Wonder which players Fitz will speak to & get a feel for mutual interest?  I can't wait for July 1st. Fasten your seat belts. look fw to draft, but I won't know any of the players we'll choose in later rounds.

23 minutes ago, vincois said:

I read tomorrow (June 23rd) GM's can talk to prospective UFA's/RFA's.  Wonder which players Fitz will speak to & get a feel for mutual interest?  I can't wait for July 1st. Fasten your seat belts. look fw to draft, but I won't know any of the players we'll choose in later rounds.

There's only a couple I'd be interested in and the big fish priced himself out of our wheelhouse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vincois said:

Can’t see him making any big splashes.  I suspect he’s trying to get Timo signed, and then he’ll set about keeping some of the RFAs in house who shouldn’t cost much.  Sounds like UFA Haula will be back.

Maybe a lateral move or two, re:  the bottom 6, if anything at all?  The D seems like it’s largely set:  Hamilton, Marino, Siegs, Luke, Nemec (really feels like he’s going to be with the big club for most of the year, if not all), Bahl, Smith.  I don’t see Fitz signing anyone for the D outside of another Smith/depth-type.  

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

You always gotta overpay a little on term or dollars. Here they went term. He got miles wood money despite 3 or 4 Woods worth of performance.

He just wants to put some roots down, and I don’t blame him. 7 teams in 8 years is ridiculous. Dude has a family.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

He just wants to put some roots down, and I don’t blame him. 7 teams in 8 years is ridiculous. Dude has a family.

And sometimes players who are desperate are willing to take a nice contract like Haula did in order for some security. I'm sure there's a NTC of some kind in the last year or something like that too. 

I'm glad we could do it for him and I like the playoff/winning attitude Haula brings to the team. He and Palat are going to be very comfortable and productive on that 3rd line for the next 3 years. 

Hopefully he can put some down a bit of strong roots in these 3 years. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1
  • EvilHeart 2

12 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

And sometimes players who are desperate are willing to take a nice contract like Haula did in order for some security. I'm sure there's a NTC of some kind in the last year or something like that too. 

I'm glad we could do it for him and I like the playoff/winning attitude Haula brings to the team. He and Palat are going to be very comfortable and productive on that 3rd line for the next 3 years. 

Hopefully he can put some down a bit of strong roots in these 3 years. 

IMG_6331.gif

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, moustic said:

Came to post this.   They put up an episode of Marek (vs Wysh) today that I was listening to in the car where they mentioned Weekes was hinting that 8x8.5 for Meier is pretty much a done deal!  

Fitz is absolutely killing it!! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

IMG_6331.gif

Something about her facial expression after she gets done yelling “HOLLA!” gets me every time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Came to post this.   They put up an episode of Marek (vs Wysh) today that I was listening to in the car where they mentioned Weekes was hinting that 8x8.5 for Meier is pretty much a done deal!  

Fitz is absolutely killing it!! 

Assuming that AAV for Timo is true, looks like about $14.7 or so million to fill the other spots, with no other major AAV hits coming this year.  Nice when you have some big AAV deals but no MASSIVE AAV deals ($10+ million).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, moustic said:

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Assuming that AAV for Timo is true, looks like about $14.7 or so million to fill the other spots, with no other major AAV hits coming this year.  Nice when you have some big AAV deals but no MASSIVE AAV deals ($10+ million).

Please. Please. Please.

After last week's storms, and this week's shenanigans at work... PLEASE FITZ

It’s amazing.   At this rate, Fitz is going to be able to go away at the end of 4th of July weekend and just take the rest of the summer off.  

If the Meier deal is really down to just the little details, I can’t see him getting jammed up on extensions for Bahl, McLeod, Bastian or Boqvist.   

I think we probably need to sign another 7/8 type D man and a heavier 3 line forward in free agency would be nice.  Since I don’t think he fits on the team anymore, I would love to see us trade Sharagovich for an additional pick in wednesdays draft.  Beyond that, what’s left to do? 

I guess Fitz could get a jump start on clearing out next summers schedule by negotiating a Mercer extension.   

I don't know much about the player assistance program, but no teams picked up Jacob Vrana when he was put on waivers.  It's not like he was making a ton of $$. He's a UFA . It's good Spencer Knight is on the mend. But, you wonder if teams think I don't want to take on another "project". I remember Dano went through this & John McMullen put him there.  As fun as it is to play professional sports, it is stressful as well. I wonder if Vrana might be a consideration?

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

It’s amazing.   At this rate, Fitz is going to be able to go away at the end of 4th of July weekend and just take the rest of the summer off.  

If the Meier deal is really down to just the little details, I can’t see him getting jammed up on extensions for Bahl, McLeod, Bastian or Boqvist.   

I think we probably need to sign another 7/8 type D man and a heavier 3 line forward in free agency would be nice.  Since I don’t think he fits on the team anymore, I would love to see us trade Sharagovich for an additional pick in wednesdays draft.  Beyond that, what’s left to do? 

I guess Fitz could get a jump start on clearing out next summers schedule by negotiating a Mercer extension.   

Don’t forget about Foote and/or Clarke.  Fitz could start the season by giving one of them a good look, and if neither can stick, he can explore a trade in-season.

Agree that if Fitz decides to re-sign all of Bastian, Bahl, Boqvist and McLeod, that it should be relatively painless.  Curious to see if he goes over two years for any of them.

On another note, if the Devils actually wanted Hellebuyck for this season only, they could pull it off…assuming VV was going the other way (obviously it’s taking more than just him), then the Devils could definitely on take Helle’s 2023-24 hit.

That being said, I still want no part of him.  If I was 100% convinced that the Devils were ready to win a Cup next season, and the last piece needed was a upgrade in net, then maybe I make a blockbuster deal for one year of Helle.  But this simply doesn’t feel like the time to push all the chips towards the middle of the table.  And I absolutely remain not at all interested in signing Helle to an expensive, long-term deal under any circumstances…much too potentially crippling.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2