The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

6 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/free-agency-signings-2023/c-344949384?tid=281072352

It is amazing to me how many players on that list who had spots last year are now jobless. 

Nolan Patrick is a UFA. Very little interest from anyone. So many young players might be looking for jobs in Switzerland, Sweden or Russia at this point. Obviously there's a lot wash outs and young guys with no name who were never going to be re-signed from teams systems, but there are some interesting names out there. 

Did a search on Patrick mostly to see if he’ll ever be able to play again (I’m not sure where his health status stands) and found this:

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/2023/07/30/new-jersey-devils-nolan-patrick-full-circle-moment/

Sure guys, that’s really going to happen. Good lord…

10 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I like the bahl deal, thats a high reward, low risk move right there. Seems like our off season is just about done now. If a deal is made for a goalie i expect to see it at the deadline, nothing major is going to happen the rest of the season on that front.

One thing that seems pretty certain...even if I can't fully rule out the possibility that Holtz and/or Nemec could force their way onto the 2023-24 Devils at some point, they face a hell of an uphill climb for it to happen.  Fitz made moves that almost feel designed to prevent them having a real shot this season (unless other guys get hurt).

That being said, given the Devils UFA situation after this year, if both of them have solid developmental years (even if they're largely doing so as Comets), hard to imagine that if Holtz isn't traded, that they're not Devils from the get-go next season...coming into the the 2024 preseason with jobs to lose.  And they'll be given every chance to stick, work through growing pains, make some youthful mistakes, etc.  Basically they'd have to be REALLY bad to get sent back to Utica for any additional seasoning...for what will be a 22-year-old Holtz and a 20-year-old Nemec, 2024-25 will be their big chance to establish themselves as the next phase in the construction of the core.  I have little doubts Nemec will do just that, and I'm fine with the Devils showing patience with him.  We'll see with Holtz...still think he may get dealt and make all of this moot.  

Holtz is going to have to be on his game to crack the lineup but Nemec has a real shot. Don't think Fitz made any moves that would block Nemec if he's ready. They are more just insurance in case he isn't ready, needs to move in and out a bit to get acclimated, or him or Luke need some nights off down the stretch. Smith and Miller provide some flexibility.

Idk if Nemec is ready but if he's even 70% I don't see how he doesn't win that spot from Smith lol. It'll be fun to compare him and Juricek when they both crack the NHL.

51 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Holtz is going to have to be on his game to crack the lineup but Nemec has a real shot. Don't think Fitz made any moves that would block Nemec if he's ready. They are more just insurance in case he isn't ready, needs to move in and out a bit to get acclimated, or him or Luke need some nights off down the stretch. Smith and Miller provide some flexibility.

Idk if Nemec is ready but if he's even 70% I don't see how he doesn't win that spot from Smith lol. It'll be fun to compare him and Juricek when they both crack the NHL.

Once Fitz acquired Miller (79 GP last season), that convinced me that Nemec is more on the outside looking in...at least to start this season.  Fitz seems to be genuinely concerned about having two rookie defensemen in the lineup at the same time...also was almost two full years after Luke's draft year that he made the team.  I get the feeling the plan for Nemec is similar.

I think Smith is firmly the 7D now, especially now that Bahl appears to have moved past him on the depth chart.  The guy Nemec will ultimately have to beat out will be the guy clearly brought here to keep the seat warm for him, in Miller.  Nemec could very well play SO well in Utica that it may simply become impossible not to give him a look...some guys simply force the issue.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Once Fitz acquired Miller (79 GP last season), that convinced that Nemec is more on the outside looking in...at least to start this season.  Fitz seems to be genuinely concerned about having two rookie defensemen in the lineup at the same time...also was almost two full years after Luke's draft year that he made the team.  I get the feeling the plan for Nemec is similar.

I think Smith is firmly the 7D now, especially now that Bahl appears to have moved past him on the depth chart.  The guy Nemec will ultimately have to beat out will be the guy clearly brought here to keep the seat warm for him, in Miller.  Nemec could very well play SO well in Utica that it may simply become impossible not to give him a look...some guys simply force the issue.  

My 2 cents is you are giving Miller too much credit. I could see him being part of the rotation but not a guy that is in the lineup every night on a team with NJD's defensive depth. A good problem to have and time will tell.

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

My 2 cents is you are giving Miller too much credit. I could see him being part of the rotation but not a guy that is in the lineup every night on a team with NJD's defensive depth. A good problem to have and time will tell.

It's not just Miller...like I said, Fitz did express concern about starting the season with both Hughes and Nemec in the lineup due to both of them being rookies...at the very least, I think he'd like to see Luke settle in enough where the idea of a completely inexperienced Nemec joining the fray in 2023-24 seems more palatable.  To his credit Miller wasn't exactly suiting up for a bad team and playing out of necessity...he did play 79 games for a team that put up 108 points.  

But also like I said, if Nemec is just shredding it in Utica (and/or Miller isn't playing all that well), he may force his way up here before too too long.  I'd be stunned if Miller was here beyond this season.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's not just Miller...like I said, Fitz did express concern about starting the season with both Hughes and Nemec in the lineup due to both of them being rookies...at the very least, I think he'd like to see Luke settle in enough where the idea of a completely inexperienced Nemec joining the fray in 2023-24 seems more palatable.  To his credit Miller wasn't exactly suiting up for a bad team and playing out of necessity...he did play 79 games for a team that put up 108 points.  

But also like I said, if Nemec is just shredding it in Utica (and/or Miller isn't playing all that well), he may force his way up here before too too long.  I'd be stunned if Miller was here beyond this season.  

Dallas also didn't have a ton of defensive depth, which is why it took some awful playoff performances for him to finally get yanked in favor of guys called up from Austin on ELCs. I hear what you are saying and I think the concern is valid. I just don't think Nemec vs Miller may be that far off.

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Dallas also didn't have a ton of defensive depth, which is why it took some awful playoff performances for him to finally get yanked in favor of guys called up from Austin on ELCs. I hear what you are saying and I think the concern is valid. I just don't think Nemec vs Miller may be that far off.

I think there's a chance that it could happen before the New Year, if all goes a certain way.  I don't think Fitz will force it, but if it makes complete and total sense (based on each player's performance), I don't think he'll fight it either.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Accurate 

IMG_6724.jpeg

Not that I've made it any secret...but I hate those fvckers more than ever, especially with the crap that some of them pulled in our building.  That jackoff who threw that drink on that Devils fan who walked by him and never said a word to him...and then tried to pull a "Who me?!", which we all called him out on...and then EVERY Ranger fan defending him for basically being a total chickensh!t piece of garbage...goddamn, they can't suck or lose enough ever for me.  That fanbase deserves nothing more than a plate of endless misery with a side of...even more endless misery.  fvck 'em.  All of 'em.  

• Like 1
  • EvilHeart 1

8 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

…for the next decade 

I feel like any playoff series preview between the Devils and Rangers over the next several seasons will begin and end with "If Shesterkin can steal some games..."  Basically it's going to come down to him having to carry his team...I think the Devils have more talent already, and as it blossoms and gels, they will simply be the better team.  What the Rangers REALLY need more than ever is for Lafreniere to start playing like a real 1OA, and Kakko to play like a legit 2OA.  That might help them at least close the gap some.

• Like 1

Ducks sign Troy Terry to 7 years @ $7 million AAV.

60 G and 68 A over 145 GP over the past two seasons.  Ducks signed up for his Age 26-32 seasons (he turns 26 on 9/10).  Seems like a pretty reasonable signing. 

Curious to see what Zegras gets.  Terry's numbers were actually a little better, for whatever that's worth.

21 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Felt like playing homemade GeoGuesser and it took me 12 minutes to find the exact spot

22 Melantrichova, Prague

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RY1Lh1c444pk25HG8

the castles and the fact they just went to pavels wedding gave it away. i'm a first gen american, both parents off the boat from czech and ukraine. so it's easier for me.