The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

43 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Speaking of which, I’ve heard on about 77 separate occasions over the last year that the findings of this investigation would be released ‘any day’. Can we fvcking get it over with already?! This sh!t has dragged on long enough. 

Yep, exactly, hockey Canada and the London police look worse and worse the longer this drags out

• Like 1

14 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies under contract with the big club.

Guess once Bahl’s re-upped…that’s really gotta be it.  

• Like 1

Nice add. More pressure on young players, more depth and center depth, may be even more FO guys(Nico, Nosek and McLeod could take face offs on different lines potentiall). Very important thing on the big picture.
That’s interesting how Fitz overthinked some part of his understand of building the winning team. Will be interesting to see how he will have new future feedback and how he will react and rethink on it too.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

14 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies under contract with the big club.

Guess once Bahl’s re-upped…that’s really gotta be it.  

Thompson is #15. He has one way deal next year. Camp should be interesting. 

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Speaking of which, I’ve heard on about 77 separate occasions over the last year that the findings of this investigation would be released ‘any day’. Can we fvcking get it over with already?! This sh!t has dragged on long enough. 

Never trust the media. I was saying the same thing. I like the player and what he brings. A fourth line plug doesn't deserve to have this hanging over his head when he doesn't exactly have job security for the next 2-3 years. 

Hockey Canada will happily wait until most if not all players are no longer in the NHL due to age. THEN they will try to smear their reputation. 

3 hours ago, Jerrydevil said:

Hedging his bet? If he was really concerned, he might have let McLeod walk.

True, but the Nosek signing seems like overkill since we also have Lazar and Tierney. I think he played a lot of wing in Boston too iirc. I have zero issues with grabbing another center because with Boquist and Shango out as they were both able to take faceoffs and it's just useful to have a bunch of centers around to plug in when needed. 

It does kind of feel like Fitz has maybe heard something and is preparing, but that is entirely dependent on the rumblings of journalists on Twitter that Maddog mentioned who have not been reliable when it comes to "the report is coming any day now." 

"Your flight is delayed, but the plane will be here.....any day now."

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

3ice was fun but I would definitely never pay for it. They really should have done something more with their uniforms, each team having their own color makes sense but they should have different designs. Everything looks like practice jerseys.

Not a lot of people there and most that were probably had comped tickets from the Devils. I really have no idea how this thing is making money. 

Poor Jeremy Brodeur had a rough night, didn't help that his team looked like the worst of the 4. He got a nice response from the crowd though and I'm sure he's disappointed he didn't play better here. 

Raymond Bourque got some boos too. I couldn't root for his team either lol

Rules wise I like the penalty shot rule that is like a running play that keeps the puck in play if the shooter misses the net. Penalty shots don't happen enough in the NHL for me to want to see the rule but for this since every penalty is a penalty shot it made sense. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

In other news... 

New Jersey/national treasure Chico Resch comments on the Devils offseason

https://www.nj.com/devils/2023/07/chico-resch-hopes-devils-stick-with-vitek-vanecek-akira-schmid-in-net-reacts-to-offseason-moves-qa.html?outputType=amp

A: “Between the pipes, the only disappointment for me was (fan reaction to) Vitek Vanecek. (Akira) Schmid got some love, but Vanecek was unbelievable last year. He won 18 one-goal games. Everyone looks at the first two games against the Rangers – where we were just brought out to lunch – but that wasn’t the Devils. Vitek was the goalie, and he got the blame. I’m happy we didn’t spend a whole lot more money on goaltending. I like Vitek, I like Schmid. They were not the problem.”

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Never trust the media. I was saying the same thing. I like the player and what he brings. A fourth line plug doesn't deserve to have this hanging over his head when he doesn't exactly have job security for the next 2-3 years. 

Hockey Canada will happily wait until most if not all players are no longer in the NHL due to age. THEN they will try to smear their reputation. 

???

The media is the only reason Hockey Canada wasn't able to just sweep this under the rug with a secret settlement several years ago.  The reason you keep hearing about it now is because they don't want the NHL investigation just falling off the radar with no conclusion either, which is probably what would happen if the "media" didn't keep this front of mind every once in a while.   

What McLeod "deserves" is totally dependent on his level of involvement.   To date, I'm not aware that anyone has accused him of anything and he was just able to sign a contract to play ice hockey for a living next year.  I'm not seeing how he's a victim here at all.    

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Lateralous said:

???

The media is the only reason Hockey Canada wasn't able to just sweep this under the rug with a secret settlement several years ago.  The reason you keep hearing about it now is because they don't want the NHL investigation just falling off the radar with no conclusion either, which is probably what would happen if the "media" didn't keep this front of mind every once in a while.   

What McLeod "deserves" is totally dependent on his level of involvement.   To date, I'm not aware that anyone has accused him of anything and he was just able to sign a contract to play ice hockey for a living next year.  I'm not seeing how he's a victim here at all.    

Not once did I imply that he was a victim, but the idea that some term/job security was left on the table because of the incident in question is pretty clear to me. Doesn't make him a victim, but if he wasn't involved at all, does he deserve to lose that term then? 

If McLeod's name was mentioned in the investigation as a person of interest, he IS definitely being accused of something and is liable to be punished, whether it's simply being present or it's participating. Don't try to say he's not being accused of anything. That's just flat out lying to people about the situation.

If someone accuses your best friend of rape and also claims that you were there and didn't stop it....you are being accused of something

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-12217137/Former-Buffalo-Bills-punter-Matt-Araiza-reveals-intends-sue-gang-rape-allegation.html

Idk, it's a separate case entirely, but seems like pro athletes are prime targets for this kind of thing. Being defamed left and right and then there's nothing you can do about it as defamation cases are some of the least won court cases in US court history. If you are defamed, you are also being victimized btw. Is Araiza a victim? You can say, "muh rich pro athlete" all you want, it doesn't change the fact that Araiza was defamed. 

Edited by RizzMB30

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Obviously not like the Devils are the only franchise to have alumni genuinely invested in the present and future of the franchise, but still great to see them so actively involved nonetheless.  It’s fun to see them find ways to contribute even when they can no longer do so as players.

• EvilHeart 1

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

Not once did I imply that he was a victim, but the idea that some term/job security was left on the table because of the incident in question is pretty clear to me. Doesn't make him a victim, but if he wasn't involved at all, does he deserve to lose that term then? 

If McLeod's name was mentioned in the investigation as a person of interest, he IS definitely being accused of something and is liable to be punished, whether it's simply being present or it's participating. Don't try to say he's not being accused of anything. That's just flat out lying to people about the situation.

If someone accuses your best friend of rape and also claims that you were there and didn't stop it....you are being accused of something

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nfl/article-12217137/Former-Buffalo-Bills-punter-Matt-Araiza-reveals-intends-sue-gang-rape-allegation.html

Idk, it's a separate case entirely, but seems like pro athletes are prime targets for this kind of thing. Being defamed left and right and then there's nothing you can do about it as defamation cases are some of the least won court cases in US court history. If you are defamed, you are also being victimized btw. Is Araiza a victim? You can say, "muh rich pro athlete" all you want, it doesn't change the fact that Araiza was defamed. 

You literally said "...(he) doesn't deserve this hanging over his head" in your previous post.       

Also, this has nothing to do with the Araiza incident.   Araiza was actually sued and accused of something by an attorney that they have proven he didn't do.  Yes, it certainly seems like he has a case for defamation.  This situation also isn't anything like the rush to judgement against Duke lacrosse.  Also clearly defamation among other things.  

This Team Canada thing is completely different.   I haven't heard one whiff of anyone denying something terrible happened in a London hotel room to a young woman 5 years ago in the presence of numerous players from the Team Canada squad.  Obviously some players were named in the original litigation by the victim against Team Canada and they decided the allegations were legit enough to settle this in secret but nothing came out so there's no defamation there.   

We do know that after doing some level of investigation, we have the London police saying they probably could have charged up to 5 players off that squad with a crime.  Now we're kind of just waiting to see who the real names of John Doe 1 thru 5 are and if there is any additional involvement by others.  To my knowledge, none of the actual John Doe's have publicly been named so again there's no defamation.     McLeod is simply one of the few people on that team who didn't come out and make a statement that he had no involvement and instead he said that he's cooperating with the ongoing investigation.   We've been sitting here wondering if we're going to need another 4C because he's hasn't addressed the elephant in the room for over a year.   

Yes, if he shows up in the yet to be released report, then yes I would agree that at that point he's being accused of something.   If the investigation turns out to be inaccurate then yes, that would certainly be defamation.   Since a long delayed report/investigation will theoretically be well researched by professionals with depositions from numerous people involved, I doubt that him being named will be defamation.  

6 minutes ago, Bonginator11 said:

The Devils already have six defensemen under contract with the big club and hard not to think that they won't re-sign Bahl at some point (which would mean 7 defensemen signed for at least 2023-24).  And of course Nemec is right there and he could very well get a look this season too.

Just not seeing why Fitz would go after him and where he would fit in.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Devils already have six defensemen under contract with the big club and hard not to think that they won't re-sign Bahl at some point (which would mean 7 defensemen signed for at least 2023-24).  And of course Nemec is right there and he could very well get a look this season too.

Just not seeing why Fitz would go after him and where he would fit in.  

May be they see Bahl as more seventh defenseman than sixth. Anyway until it will happen, I’m not sure it will. 

1 minute ago, Guadana said:

May be they see Bahl as more seventh defenseman than sixth. Anyway until it will happen, I’m not sure it will. 

I gotta be fair...one of the six D currently under contract is Brendan Smith, who's hardly any sure thing to nail down a spot.  I'm thinking HE'S gotta be the guy who's thought of as the #7-type at this point...I'm sure with Bahl improving as the season went on, that he'll be given every shot to build off last season, and become an every-game player right from the start.

We know that Hamilton, Marino, and Siegs will not be fighting for spots.  I'd have to say the same for Luke (training camp + preseason + some games with the big club last year should have him earning a spot right from the first game of the new season).  Naturally Luke will make some rookie mistakes and experience some growing pains, but we'll live with them (especially since Severson made them right up until the very end of his time here).

So basically there's Miller, Smith, Bahl, and Nemec in the mix for the final two spots.  Guessing Miller has one of those more or less locked up...he's clearly a one-year stopgap to keep the seat warm until the organization decides it's time for Nemec to get a real look, and he's coming off a plenty solid year.  So feels like Bahl really should have the inside track over Smith (at least I hope that's the plan).  Not sure if Vilen has any outside shot at all at snagging a spot (I'm guessing not this quickly). 

• Like 1