The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I gotta be fair...one of the six D currently under contract is Brendan Smith, who's hardly any sure thing to nail down a spot.  I'm thinking HE'S gotta be the guy who's thought of as the #7-type at this point...I'm sure with Bahl improving as the season went on, that he'll be given every shot to build off last season, and become an every-game player right from the start.

We know that Hamilton, Marino, and Siegs will not be fighting for spots.  I'd have to say the same for Luke (training camp + preseason + some games with the big club last year should have him earning a spot right from the first game of the new season).  Naturally Luke will make some rookie mistakes and experience some growing pains, but we'll live with them (especially since Severson made them right up until the very end of his time here).

So basically there's Miller, Smith, Bahl, and Nemec in the mix for the final two spots.  Guessing Miller has one of those more or less locked up...he's clearly a one-year stopgap to keep the seat warm until the organization decides it's time for Nemec to get a real look, and he's coming off a plenty solid year.  So feels like Bahl really should have the inside track over Smith (at least I hope that's the plan).  Not sure if Vilen has any outside shot at all at snagging a spot (I'm guessing not this quickly). 

Absolutely agree and I see situation under(on? From?) the same angle. I just try to find a logic for Hanifin rumor. Overall I think Fitz should be ok with what he has. If Bahl isn't consistent, he has Smith as protection. If its not enough he can try Vilen or Misyul, whoever will play better in AHL. If its not enough, than he will make a trade on the deadline. 

___

Rumors about Mercer for Hanifin are stupid. We didn't trade him for Meier. Young players of his level on elc are untradable. 

Edited by Guadana

Speaking to the fans that want Hellebuyck to come to NJ, what would you "send" the other way. (in the trade)  imo, He won't come cheap. 

BTW everyone wants inexpensive players coming off ELC's. We all know Mercer's not going anywhere.  Fitz will sign him to a "reasonable" contract. (likely long term)

1 hour ago, vincois said:

Speaking to the fans that want Hellebuyck to come to NJ, what would you "send" the other way. (in the trade)  imo, He won't come cheap. 

BTW everyone wants inexpensive players coming off ELC's. We all know Mercer's not going anywhere.  Fitz will sign him to a "reasonable" contract. (likely long term)

Re:  Hellebuyck, Winnipeg should probably start getting used to the fact that they won’t get the return that they’re hoping for, due to the following:

Only under team control for this season.

Player looking for big money for his Age 31 and beyond seasons.

He hasn’t shown himself to be a guy who steps up in the playoffs.

No one is stepping up with a “Gotta get him!” offer for a reason.  It’s starting to feel like he’s going to have to start this season as a Jet, and then hope he turns in one of his best seasons…maybe that gets a team who’s decided that their goaltending is holding them back to finally offer something of notable significance.

re:  Mercer, still don’t see why he should be in any rush to sign…especially long-term.  Feels like he could really cash in down the line, with many prime years left.  

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Re:  Hellebuyck, Winnipeg should probably start getting used to the fact that they won’t get the return that they’re hoping for, due to the following:

Only under team control for this season.

Player looking for big money for his Age 31 and beyond seasons.

He hasn’t shown himself to be a guy who steps up in the playoffs.

No one is stepping up with a “Gotta get him!” offer for a reason.  It’s starting to feel like he’s going to have to start this season as a Jet, and then hope he turns in one of his best seasons…maybe that gets a team who’s decided that their goaltending is holding them back to finally offer something of notable significance.

re:  Mercer, still don’t see why he should be in any rush to sign…especially long-term.  Feels like he could really cash in down the line, with many prime years left.  

but Fitz got out in front of #86's contract and #13's. Took care of business while we were climbing out of the hole. 

23 minutes ago, vincois said:

but Fitz got out in front of #86's contract and #13's. Took care of business while we were climbing out of the hole. 

MUCH different time.  Devils had loads of cap space at that time.  Been over it but at the time the Devils were in a position to roll the dice on giving those two a higher AAV and term (in relation to their career numbers to date when they were awarded extensions)…that gamble paid off.

Now Fitz is in position where he’s only going to be able to offer Mercer so much…it’s hard to image that Luke (two years from now) and Nemec (likely three years from now) won’t be getting theirs. It all depends how much Mercer wants to leave on the table.  This is a guy who, depending on his production next year (and any bridge-deal years), might be able to command 8 figures as a UFA…sounds crazy, but the cap figures to go up significantly in the years to come.  None of this is an issue today, but if Fitz comes to Dawson with an offer of 7-8 years @ $6.5 - 7 million AAV, he’s probably much better off signing for 3-4 years and seeing if he can REALLY cash in after that.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MUCH different time.  Devils had loads of cap space at that time.  Been over it but at the time the Devils were in a position to roll the dice on giving those two a higher AAV and term (in relation to their career numbers to date when they were awarded extensions)…that gamble paid off.

Now Fitz is in position where he’s only going to be able to offer Mercer so much…it’s hard to image that Luke (two years from now) and Nemec (likely three years from now) won’t be getting theirs. It all depends how much Mercer wants to leave on the table.  This is a guy who, depending on his production next year (and any bridge-deal years), might be able to command 8 figures as a UFA…sounds crazy, but the cap figures to go up significantly in the years to come.  None of this is an issue today, but if Fitz comes to Dawson with an offer of 7-8 years @ $6.5 - 7 million AAV, he’s probably much better off signing for 3-4 years and seeing if he can REALLY cash in after that.

I think Fitz is going to look to get rid of Hamilton near the end depending on how much the cap goes up. I can't imagine a scenario where they're aren't trying like hell to keep the team intact if it is working.

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I think Fitz is going to look to get rid of Hamilton near the end depending on how much the cap goes up. I can't imagine a scenario where they're aren't trying like hell to keep the team intact if it is working.

Yeah obviously a ways off but as long as Dougie’s level of play doesn’t go off a cliff, I suspect that he’ll be moved with a year or two left on his deal.  Or at least Fitz will try to make that happen (and may have to eat some money to do so).

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah obviously a ways off but as long as Dougie’s level of play doesn’t go off a cliff, I suspect that he’ll be moved with a year or two left on his deal.  Or at least Fitz will try to make that happen (and may have to eat some money to do so).

Dougie has a NMC or a ten team trade list IIRC, which will make it trickier for Fitz to move him.

Just now, Aitchmack said:

Dougie has a NMC or a ten team trade list IIRC, which will make it trickier for Fitz to move him.

Yeah that’s why I said “try”…you are right, in that it may be tough, with Dougie having some leverage and say in where he’d go.  Especially if he doesn’t have all that much left by that time.

Won’t really know until that time comes…by then Dougie could very well be amenable to being moved.

I’ll never knock the signing though…sometimes ya gotta have that first “Hey we’re back in business” big move.  And he clearly loves being here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sounds like he might be a while away, but given the state of the Devils right now, this is NOT a bad thing.  If he needs some more time in junior followed by some AHL time, having a guy with some cheap ELC years coming up is not a negative.

You've got Jack, Nico, Jesper and Timo locked up (of course all figure to be in the Top 6 for many years, barring injuries), hard to imagine Mercer doesn't at least get a bridge deal, and figure Holtz will get a real look by the start of next season...and if the Devils give up on him, maybe Toffoli gets a two or three year "discount to stick with a team that might win" deal while Fitz considers Plan B, which may see Filmon or someone currently off our radar get a shot at Top 6 duty as Toffoli enters his walk season.

Speaking of Toffoli, if he puts up similar numbers to what he managed from 2019-20 through 2021-22, in terms of production he's basically the exact equivalent of...in-his-prime Kyle Palmieri, to the tune of 30 G and 27 A per 82 GP.  If the Devils can get about that from him over the next 2-3 years beyond this one (if Fitz ever chose to keep him), you could do worse.  Especially since at this point I have no idea of Holtz is capable of those numbers as an NHLer.  

• Like 2

For the hell of it, checked out the Devils vs the rest of the Metro, in terms of how many players are signed to four or more seasons with their current teams (ages by the end of October 2023 in parenthesis):

DEVILS (8):  Jack (22), Nico (24), Meier (27), Bratt (25), Hamilton (30), Marino (26), Siegenthaler (26), Palat (32)

ISLANDERS (9):  Barzal (26), Horvat (28), Engvall (27), Cizikas (32), Pulock (29), Pelech (29), Mayfield (31), Sorokin (28)

RANGERS (6):  Zibanejad (30), Kreider (32), Trocheck (30), Chytil (24), Goodrow (30), Fox (25)

HURRICANES (5):  Svechnikov (23), Kotkaniemi (23), Staal (35), Kochetkov (24)  EDIT:  Aho (26) just added

BLUE JACKETS (4):  Gaudreau (30), Severson (29), Merzlikins (29), Werenski (26)

PENGUINS (5):  Rust (31), Rakell (30), Letang (36), Graves (28), Tristan (28)

CAPITALS (2):  Strome (26), Kuemper (33)

FLYERS (5):  Farabee (23), Sanheim (27), Ristolainen (29), Couturier (30), Ellis (32 - very unlikely ever to play again due to pelvic injury)

Of course, the above doesn't mean everything...there will be young players for all of these teams coming in on ELCs, there will be moves made and UFAs signings, and guys currently down to three years or less with their teams not on this list who figure to stick around...but hard not to feel pretty damned good about a core that's not only locked up, but will be getting reinforcements.  Also feels like the Devils will be fully coming into their own and peaking just as some other long-time runs are either ending or declining.  It feels like the rest of the Metro is made up of cores that are either flawed, aging, not yet fully formed, or have already seen their best days come and go.  No guarantees but goddamn does it feel like the Devils are sitting incredibly pretty right now (IF they can stay healthy).

80 days never felt so far away...  

• Like 3

Been there many times for signings.

Grade A store. 

Dad was a great guy, always talked to fans on line waiting for autographs. Glad his daughter is keeping it going. And proud the Devil players and ex ones are all on board.

Win/Win/Win - Player/store/fans.

• Like 6

On 7/26/2023 at 4:23 PM, eldon said:

Been there many times for signings.

Grade A store. 

Dad was a great guy, always talked to fans on line waiting for autographs. Glad his daughter is keeping it going. And proud the Devil players and ex ones are all on board.

Win/Win/Win - Player/store/fans.

Never been there myself, but sounds like a great family-run place to be.  Love stories like this.

Only NHL signing/meet-and-greet that I ever went to (with my then-10-year-old daughter of course) was for Palms, back on 3/24/2019...it was in West Freehold.  We sprung for the VIP tix, which allowed you to have some free buffet appetizers and a few minutes to chat with him before he'd sign anything you wanted (he had more of a mass signing for those who didn't want to pay extra to participate in the meet-and-greet part of it)...maybe 30-40 other fans bought the VIP tix as well.  He was a nice dude, pretty down-to-earth.  I wore his GW All-Star jersey to the event and at the end of our brief chat mentioned that it was the very one he had worn himself...his reaction wasn't pure disinterest, more like he didn't know exactly what to make of it, heh heh.  He then spoke to the whole VIP crowd, talked about his growing up, how thrilled he was to come to the Devils because he grew up here and absolutely wanted to come back to the area (even though he grew up a Rangers fan).  I'm sure he's long since moved on emotionally since Fitz dealt him to the Isles but I think he very much would've loved to stay with the Devils...I think he chose to stay with the Isles mostly because that allowed him to stay close enough to home.  Obviously 100% the right move by Fitz of course...Devils got his best years, and the Isles are paying him for what he was, as opposed to what he is now.

2 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Palmieri went to my high school, St Peter Prep.

Nice.

One thing I'm calling bullsh!t on...he's listed at 5' 11".  I'm about 6' 1".  Either I'm closer to 6' 3" (I'm not), or Palms is maaaaaaaaybe 5' 10" in thick-soled shoes, heh heh. 

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Man I just hope this dude can stay healthy in the years to come.  I know he'll continue to make refinements to his game as he matures, but he's one of those guys who when he takes a big hit you can't help but gasp just a little.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nice.

One thing I'm calling bullsh!t on...he's listed at 5' 11".  I'm about 6' 1".  Either I'm closer to 6' 3" (I'm not), or Palms is maaaaaaaaybe 5' 10" in thick-soled shoes, heh heh. 

Never met him actually. I was a few decades ahead of him.