The OFFICIAL Off-Season Thread

jagknife

2 hours ago, pumpkin cutter said:

the castles and the fact they just went to pavels wedding gave it away. i'm a first gen american, both parents off the boat from czech and ukraine. so it's easier for me. 

Prague is probably my #1 destination if I ever make it over to Europe. My dad (who’s been pretty much everywhere in the world) speaks very highly of it, and it just looks super nice. Really good beer, too which doesn’t hurt. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Prague is probably my #1 destination if I ever make it over to Europe. My dad (who’s been pretty much everywhere in the world) speaks very highly of it, and it just looks super nice. Really good beer, too which doesn’t hurt. 

But Paris got me as a special tour guide (for free) : ) 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ducks sign Troy Terry to 7 years @ $7 million AAV.

60 G and 68 A over 145 GP over the past two seasons.  Ducks signed up for his Age 26-32 seasons (he turns 26 on 9/10).  Seems like a pretty reasonable signing. 

Curious to see what Zegras gets.  Terry's numbers were actually a little better, for whatever that's worth.

Incredibly reasonable deal. Very Jack Hughes like deal. I've heard Zegras is kind of trying to hold out for a little more and that's why they haven't had any movement yet on his extension. Maybe Zegras and agent on looking for something more tangible as far as guarantees that they are going to be a better team within that time frame. Might simply be looking for 8.5 or higher too. 

14 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Even other Europeans rave about Prague and want to go visit. I've heard nothing but good things about the people and the stuff to do there. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Incredibly reasonable deal. Very Jack Hughes like deal. I've heard Zegras is kind of trying to hold out for a little more and that's why they haven't had any movement yet on his extension. Maybe Zegras and agent on looking for something more tangible as far as guarantees that they are going to be a better team within that time frame. Might simply be looking for 8.5 or higher too. 

The Ducks do have a LOT of cap space at the moment too, even with Terry's deal in the mix...still over $20 million to spend this season.  So Zegras might be looking for some nice coin, like you said...I'm guessing that his camp wants something in the high $8 million AAV range.  

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I haven’t listened to Chiclets in a while (used to religiously), but I’ll have to check this one out. 

Off-season chiclets are fast episodes, with minimal stuff outside of the interviews.

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Is that just posted to their website or where could one get that podcast? .. Jesus, I’m 32 feelin 72 asking that

Wherever you download your favorite Podcasts

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

So I started the pod on my run this morning: first 38 minutes (at least) are chitchat between Armstrong, Whitney and Grinell.

I paused after my run but they were mid debating if the Karlsson trade is smart by Dubas or not.

Re:  the bolded, a couple of ways to look at it.

If the idea is to keep fans somewhat entertained despite having a team that won't really ever be good enough to win a Cup (or even go all that deep in the playoffs, should they qualify), to try to keep things from getting too too ugly for Crosby and Malkin as they finish up their careers, and to remain at least competitive in the next 2-3 years, then I guess it's kinda-sorta "smart"...

...BUT, it's really kicking the can down the road.  On one hand, teams that enjoy long periods of relevance and prosperity are going to find themselves in the "bottom out" boat eventually...just like the Red Wings and Blackhawks did.  But of course, if you're willing to preemptively blow something up when you don't have much of a chance to win anyway, as opposed to putting it off, when you have aging assets that still have value...there's something to be said for ripping off the Band-Aid too.  I mentioned it previously and I get it, it's really REALLY hard for all involved to say goodbye to a generational talent in Crosby, and an elite one in Malkin, and who knows, they may simply have zero interest in being traded even if they both know deep down that the Pens don't have any real shot to go all the way anymore.  Players obviously don't shy away from invoking their no-trade clauses from time-to-time...maybe this is all out of the Pens' hands to begin with.

So Crosby's deal expires in two years, at which point he'll be entering his Age 38 season...I could see him signing a reasonably cheap, one-year deal, to go out with Malkin, who has one more year left on his deal than Crosby.  So I can see Crosby retiring at 39 and Malkin retiring at 40, with Karlsson then having one last year on his deal...he'll be entering his Age 37 season once his current contract is done, which I'm sure should spell the end of his time in Pitt.

And that's when the Pens are pretty damned likely to see a pretty long and dark period.  Seems damned near unavoidable, really, given the course they've set for themselves.  I wonder how much of their fanbase would rather see it all torn down.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Re: Fitz on Chiclets

- Fitz said he doesn't "need" Nemec to make the roster this year, if he plays his way onto a spot, then we'll make room. Big possible year for Nemec. 
- Fitz brings up Bahl when talking about young defensement coming up like LHughes and Nemec. Says he's going to earn more ice time this year with Graves absent. LHughes has opportunity to grab some of the ice time that went to Severson. 
- Talked about the playoffs series with the Canes and what Fitz saw during that series. I wish he went into a little more detail on this. 
- Timo Meier trade. What attracted Fitz to Timo in the first place? 
- Personal & Professional questions for Fitz's playing career & history. 
- Pasha asked Fitz about Seamus Casey. Fitz raved about the player and said that he was one of the "most mentioned/brought up" names by other teams in trade discussion.
- Pasha also asked Fitz about Holtz and his development path. Difficult question for Fitz to answer directly. Fitz said that he needs to work on: pace/skating and high effort skating. Took responsibility for Holtz's handling last year. Said he takes responsibility for how Holtz became a healthy scratch a little too regularly. Felt that the NHL practice was good for him early on and to practice with the NHL team and felt that it was good initially for Holtz's development, but then as the season went on practices weren't exactly regular occurrences and sometimes the team just rested or practiced not as one whole group so he kind of fell into just a healthy scratch territory. Fitz admitted that he waited maybe a little too long to send him down. 

Love Fitz. As honest and transparent of a GM as you're going to get. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Re: Fitz on Chiclets

- Fitz said he doesn't "need" Nemec to make the roster this year, if he plays his way onto a spot, then we'll make room. Big possible year for Nemec. 
- Fitz brings up Bahl when talking about young defensement coming up like LHughes and Nemec. Says he's going to earn more ice time this year with Graves absent. LHughes has opportunity to grab some of the ice time that went to Severson. 
- Talked about the playoffs series with the Canes and what Fitz saw during that series. I wish he went into a little more detail on this. 
- Timo Meier trade. What attracted Fitz to Timo in the first place? 
- Personal & Professional questions for Fitz's playing career & history. 
- Pasha asked Fitz about Seamus Casey. Fitz raved about the player and said that he was one of the "most mentioned/brought up" names by other teams in trade discussion.
- Pasha also asked Fitz about Holtz and his development path. Difficult question for Fitz to answer directly. Fitz said that he needs to work on: pace/skating and high effort skating. Took responsibility for Holtz's handling last year. Said he takes responsibility for how Holtz became a healthy scratch a little too regularly. Felt that the NHL practice was good for him early on and to practice with the NHL team and felt that it was good initially for Holtz's development, but then as the season went on practices weren't exactly regular occurrences and sometimes the team just rested or practiced not as one whole group so he kind of fell into just a healthy scratch territory. Fitz admitted that he waited maybe a little too long to send him down. 

Love Fitz. As honest and transparent of a GM as you're going to get. 

Re:  Nemec...sounds about right.  It's definitely not about 2023-24 for him and he'll really have to force the issue.

Yeah, goes without saying that with Graves and Seves out, that the "natural" replacements from within are Bahl and Luke.

Did Fitz go into detail about what attracted him to Timo?  It was one thing to trade for him, but the financial and term commitment that Fitz made speaks volumes and then some.

Re:  Holtz, yeah, Fitz has always taken responsibility for that.  I'm sure he'll be handled much MUCh better this year.  

• Like 1

There's speak on Twitter this morning about Habs having an excess of goalies. But doubt they go into the fall with Jake Allen, Casey DeSmith, and Sam Montembeault.  They picked the latter off waivers last year and was very good toward the end. And French which makes him a fan fave. If the price is right (Montreal is in Cap hell for sure)  Wonder if they might pursue DeSmith? And they have Primeau & another guy in AHL.(Primeay was very shaky when called up) I know the Devils lit his honey up.

So Fitz on Timo (paraphrasing and summarizing):  Fitz basically talked about how he had built up "asset equity" and knew that some guys might become part of the team, and others might be dealt for good fits.  Basically liked Timo's all-around game and the fact that he was still young...made it clear that he had had his eyes on Timo for quite some time...Fitz would check in with Grier every so often to let Grier know to contact him if he ever thought about moving Timo.  Fitz also felt very strongly (as he's said elsewhere) that he was going to be able to sell Timo on both the team and the area, and with ownership's blessing decided to take the gamble, even though at that point there was no guarantee that Timo would re-sign.  Fitz didn't want to overwhelm him with both having to adjust to a new team and state AND worry about signing a contract when he wasn't yet familiar with his new surroundings, so he told Timo they would worry about contract negotiations later...in the interim, get used to NJ, the way the Devils play, etc.

Fitz mentioned that he wanted it to get to the point where Timo would say "I WANT to stay" (which is exactly what happened), and then made it a point to say that's EXACTLY what he's looking for...guys who WANT to come to New Jersey.  He's not interested in signing guys who are clearly looking to go to the highest bidder.  Fitz also mentioned that he explained to various guys that there's only so many crumbs to go around...if one guy is taking too many of them, that will hamper his ability to address other areas of his team.  He said that his players have bought into that approach.  This is how the Devils have managed to avoid paying anyone $10 million in AAV (or have guys taking bridge deals in the hopes of making that much anytime soon)...Hamilton (tops in AAV on the Devils) is tied for just 34th on the NHL AAV list.  By contrast the Leafs have THREE players in the top 9 in AAV, with at least two of those guys about to be due big raises (and of course Nylander will see a big jump)...how's that working out for them?

Fitz made it sound like if Nemec were to shred it in the preseason, the Devils would absolutely consider having him make the team right away, but I'm guessing that he'd REALLY have to blow some minds for that to happen.

He also admitted that the 0-2 start and the "Fire Lindy" chants was one of his worst weekends as a GM.  But he felt that it would turn around (obviously he was very much right about that).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, vincois said:

There's speak on Twitter this morning about Habs having an excess of goalies. But doubt they go into the fall with Jake Allen, Casey DeSmith, and Sam Montembeault.  They picked the latter off waivers last year and was very good toward the end. And French which makes him a fan fave. If the price is right (Montreal is in Cap hell for sure)  Wonder if they might pursue DeSmith? And they have Primeau & another guy in AHL.(Primeay was very shaky when called up) I know the Devils lit his honey up.

DeSmith blows. The Habs have a surplus of mediocrity in net. I have no interest in any of those guys.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

DeSmith blows. The Habs have a surplus of mediocrity in net. I have no interest in any of those guys.

Looks more and more like Fitz is OK with starting the season with VV and Schmid, and if the goaltending needs to be addressed in-season, he'll take care of it then.  More and more it feels like he really doesn't want to tie up too much money into goaltending if he can avoid it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevilMinder said:

Seeing people dressed like that on August 8 is just really...weird.  Just feels so wrong heh heh.

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

Looks like wherever he goes, it's going to be for a relative pennies.  Guess GMs still remember 2020-21 and 2021-22 well enough to not want to commit much, despite him having a pretty nice year last season.

If it falls apart for Pittsburgh sooner than later, Tatar would be a guy they could squeeze a draft pick out of, at or near the deadline.

And not to harp on Pitt too much, but they got 93 points out of Crosby last season, and 83 points out of Malkin...and neither one missed a game.  And they STILL missed the playoffs.  Can they realistically expect the same offense and same lack of games missed from a 36-year-old Crosby and a 37-year-old Malkin?  They combined for 110 GP the season prior.  

• Like 1