2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

13 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Their MLS team have used that doop song for as long as I can remember. It's absolutely miserable to hear as a visiting fan seeing a game there. 

That song fits their fanbase.  Philly fans are just kinda scary lol.

A couple of years ago, this was the Flyers’ goal song (supposedly this won a fan vote, which I find impossible to believe)…as you can probably imagine, there’s a reason it only lasted one season:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A couple of years ago, this was the Flyers’ goal song (supposedly this won a fan vote, which I find impossible to believe)…as you can probably imagine, there’s a reason it only lasted one season:

Didn’t it only last one season because they stopped scoring goals?

• Haha 4

That compilation is meaningless.  The point is that he's done that move before to catch someone he missed. 

He was the PIMs leader last season and #2 the season before.  In my opinion, I think that shows that he has no issue being reckless on the ice or "playing on the edge" as some like to say.

Obviously he didn't mean to cut this poor kid, but I don't think he gets the benefit of the doubt for not trying to make contact with his leg.

3 minutes ago, Crisis said:

That compilation is meaningless.  The point is that he's done that move before to catch someone he missed. 

He was the PIMs leader last season and #2 the season before.  In my opinion, I think that shows that he has no issue being reckless on the ice or "playing on the edge" as some like to say.

Obviously he didn't mean to cut this poor kid, but I don't think he gets the benefit of the doubt for not trying to make contact with his leg.

You could have just stopped right there. This guy will be fvcked up for the rest of his life from this. Nightmares, PTSD, etc. The last thing in the world he needs right now is a bunch of mouth breathers calling for his arrest (or bringing race into it). It was a terrible accident. Simple as that. 

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You could have just stopped right there. This guy will be fvcked up for the rest of his life from this. Nightmares, PTSD, etc. The last thing in the world he needs right now is a bunch of mouth breathers calling for his arrest (or bringing race into it). It was a terrible accident. Simple as that. 

That ain’t stopping people though; I haven’t seen the video because I steadfastly refuse to watch it, but this dude is catching hell from just about everywhere right now.

38 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I've seen the bolded elsewhere with regards to this incident, and this feels like a forced correlation, as though this is somehow irrefutable proof that this guy must have been up to no good, end of story...there's been tons of players throughout hockey on all levels who've racked up lots of penalty minutes.  Doesn't mean that they're automatically insanely reckless by default, or are on the prowl just looking to injure people in any way possible.  For some guys, the high PIMs pretty much come with the job, as they're out there to be extra-physical, protect teammates, etc...basically be a modern version of an "enforcer" (obviously the pure goons of yesteryear are an endangered species, if not already extinct).  

Another way to put it is that I see the high PIM total and what happened as strictly circumstantial.  I wouldn't use it to try to make some case that this was done with any kind of intent.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

He got 4 games for it... 

Guess there's a wheel that gets spun to determine the number of games for any given suspension?  Why four for this guy but only two for Clifton?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Stop it. 

In almost every single one of those examples, the player who catches the other with his skate is facing the opposite way, and the leg comes up  behind them. I think it's pretty clear that in the video from this past weekend the guy is actually skating towards him. It's hard not to view it sort of like a karate kick. 

Like many others here, I initially had no interest whatsoever in watching the video because I thought it was truly just a freak accident and a tragedy, but after I heard there was talk about it potentially being deliberate I decided to check it out - I really wasn't expecting to see anything other than and unfortunate accident, but after looking at the video literally for the first time I was pretty shocked because it did seem like there was possibly some intention there. The way the players move prior to the contact, and then not to mention the leg itself, it's hard not to look at it and see it as possibly deliberate. 

Naturally a fast sport like hockey that also involves a lot of contact is going to have its share of awkward hits which I think those of us who have played the game have all experience at some time, but the video that we saw to me just doesn't look very natural. 

I'm not making any judgments of my own because I'd hate to think that something like this was done on purpose and it's not my place to condemn someone, but I do think an incident like this where someone lost their life definitely deserves being looked into by the proper authorities. 

47 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

This is terrible logic. So because someone is going to have PTSD for the rest of their life, they get a pass on something that could potentially be a crime?  

Does a drink driver who kills someone not have to face the consequences because it's going to haunt them forever and that's "punishment enough"?

None of us know what happened so it's not fair to say he's immediately guilty, but it absolutely deserves a proper investigation. 

• Like 1

@NJDfan1711 I definitely agree that due to the severity of what happened, there's no way that there CAN'T be an investigation.

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't believe anyone here is doing it but on Twitter certain sections on there, a lot of the ones that yell the loudest, are only interested in Petgrave for one and only one reason and it's beyond obvious and disgusting. 

I'd be stunned if it was anyone on here.  Obviously if some member thinks in such a way, he or she isn't likely to broadcast it, but I just don't think anyone here would be like that. 

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't believe anyone here is doing it but on Twitter certain sections on there, a lot of the ones that yell the loudest, are only interested in Petgrave for one and only one reason and it's beyond obvious and disgusting. 

100%, its been picked up by people looking to push a racist narrative, (on twitter).

I know the police are investigating but I am not sure what they are going to try and find or prove. Only Petgrave knows what was going through his head in that moment.

I still cannot for the life of me work out how it happens.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guess there's a wheel that gets spun to determine the number of games of any given suspension?  Why four for this guy but only two for Clifton?

In those videos they do explaining the suspensions, Clifton has no prior history but McAvoy has been suspended once before for an illegal hit to the head so that's why Clifton only got 2 and McAvoy got 4.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

In those videos they do explaining the suspensions, Clifton has no prior history but McAvoy has been suspended once before for an illegal hit to the head so that's why Clifton only got 2 and McAvoy got 4.

Ok, can't argue the logic in this case then.  Thank you!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've seen the bolded elsewhere with regards to this incident, and this feels like a forced correlation, as though this is somehow irrefutable proof that this guy must have been up to no good, end of story...there's been tons of players throughout hockey on all levels who've racked up lots of penalty minutes.  Doesn't mean that they're automatically insanely reckless by default, or are on the prowl just looking to injure people in any way possible.  For some guys, the high PIMs pretty much come with the job, as they're out there to be extra-physical, protect teammates, etc...basically be a modern version of an "enforcer" (obviously the pure goons of yesteryear are an endangered species, if not already extinct).  

Another way to put it is that I see the high PIM total and what happened as strictly circumstantial.  I wouldn't use it to try to make some case that this was done with any kind of intent.    

Yeah sure, but I didn't say that so whatever.

I think the most damning thing against this guy is the previous, clearly intentional kick when his check got past him.  That was also reckless and dangerous and these two situations are eerily similar.  The PIMs thing is just another piece to consider that seems to describe his play style.

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Nobody is talking about that here so it's whatever.  No need to even bring it up.

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

This is terrible logic. So because someone is going to have PTSD for the rest of their life, they get a pass on something that could potentially be a crime?  

Does a drink driver who kills someone not have to face the consequences because it's going to haunt them forever and that's "punishment enough"?

None of us know what happened so it's not fair to say he's immediately guilty, but it absolutely deserves a proper investigation. 

This is the key part of my post you are ignoring:

“The last thing in the world he needs right now” 

He hasn’t been charged with anything as of yet. If he is, and there’s evidence enough to convict him then he will deserve what he gets. But right now the ugliness is way over the top, and I just think people should stop for a minute and think what if it actually was a complete and total freak accident?

I finally decided to watch the video myself last night, and I still have no clue how the hell it happened. Easily the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen in a hockey game. 

And just to be objective to both sides I shouldn’t have said this:

It was a terrible accident. Simple as that. 

I obviously can’t say that for certain. Just like people can’t say there was clear intent to injure. Like mentioned above, only one person knows for sure. I personally don’t think he’ll end up being charged, but we’ll just have to wait and see how it plays out. 

• Like 1