2023-2024 Around The League thread

MadDog2020

23 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I would give up Casey in a second for a long term solution in net.  I know everyone is super high on him right now but he's still just a prospect at a position of depth for our organization.   

In 2020, I think we were all still pretty high on Blackwood potentially becoming the guy.  As you said, we still had too many needs at the time to go full boom or bust on a goalie that high.      

Yeah I don't have Casey as an untouchable...especially with Luke and Nemec already up here.  The kid appears to have a lot of potential but the Devils do have needs, and if they're able to use Casey as part of a package to land the kind of netminder that can help now and/or in the very near future, I can't see not being on board with such a move.

Fair point re:  Blackwood...he was coming off his best season at the time of the draft.  Easy to forget that once upon a time, he did represent some real promise.

But yeah, my point was more that it's a lot easier to look back NOW (if so inclined) and say "Man, should've reached for Askarov!"  I wasn't that bullish on Holtz at the time, and the jury's still out on that pick, but he did project to be a solid sniper when he was drafted, and yeah, the Devils absolutely needed young Top 6 prospects.  Hopefully once he has a full season under his belt, he can start to increase his production. 

Looks like the Rangers might finally be cooling off some...they're just 7-6 over their last 13 games (42 GF, 41 GA); for comparison's sake, the Devils are 8-4-1 over their last 13 (42 GF, 42 GA), so they've managed to pick up a little bit of ground on them, though not enough to make much of a big deal over.

Also Quick has a .904 save% over his last 10 games, and Shesterkin is at .903 over his last 14 games.  Shesterkin's numbers are definitely headed the wrong way since he won his Vezina...he didn't suck last year by any stretch, and it's not like he's been truly bad this season...but he has NOT played up to the standard he set in 2021-22.  And the numbers are trending DOWN overall.

As far as the 2023-24 Rangers go, there's definitely worse things than treading water for a stretch, especially when you get off to the kind of start that they did...an 18-4-1 romp coming out of the gate buys you considerable leeway.  But hopefully the Devils can get their sh!t together enough to make the 2/22 matchup (in NJ) with the Rangers have some real sizzle.  Would be nice to see them be 5 points or so in back of the Rangers by the time that game rolls around.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

It's one player from each team no?

Honestly I don’t even know. I never even watch it. I just saw people saying we could have 2 players for the first time since Marty/Rafalski both went. But maybe they’ve changed the rules since then. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Bratt got snubbed.

He can still be voted in by the fans, as there are roster spots remaining.

Just now, RunninWithTheDevil said:

It's one player from each team no?

Correct.  Initially, one player per team is chosen, but twelve additional spots (eight skaters and four goalies) are voted on by the fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, HughesCorporation said:

I'm waiting for Philly and Washington and the Isle's to fall back down to Earth but they all keep winning most nights...

Flyers are 2-3-3 in their last 8, even with today’s win.

Caps are 1-4-2 in their last 7.

Isles are 4-3-3 in their last 10.

None of them are really shredding it right now.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Flyers are 2-3-3 in their last 8, even with today’s win.

Caps are 1-4-2 in their last 7.

Isles are 4-3-3 in their last 10.

None of them are really shredding it right now.

yeah but they're not falling much either, (maybe the Caps are starting to choke) but  I thought for sure Philly would fall off a cliff, I've been wrong, its just tough to gain on them when we're cruising along and not shredding it either, with all our friggen injuries its not a cake-walk to a playoff spot this year. 

edit: yeah I was looking at the standings and looked at their home record thinking that was their last 10 so they arent that hot, we still need to be a.750 ish team for a bit

Edited by HughesCorporation
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, HughesCorporation said:

yeah but they're not falling much either, (maybe the Caps are starting to choke) but  I thought for sure Philly would fall off a cliff, I've been wrong, its just tough to gain on them when we're cruising along and not shredding it either, with all our friggen injuries its not a cake-walk to a playoff spot this year. 

edit: yeah I was looking at the standings and looked at their home record thinking that was their last 10 so they arent that hot, we still need to be a.750 ish team for a bit

Devils are 5-1 in their past 6 and are 13-5-1 in their past 19.  It definitely hasn’t always been pretty, but they’ve been banking points.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

If Bedard is out anywhere near as long as Dougie was with the broken jaw Luke could have a real shot at the Calder. He’s currently only 1 point behind Fantilli and Rossi (who are tied for 2nd). 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

I remember when Brodeur hit 552 and remember looking at the stats and seeing that Fleury might be the only active goalie at that time that was young enough to break that record. 

Congrats to MA. One more to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

I remember when Brodeur hit 552 and remember looking at the stats and seeing that Fleury might be the only active goalie at that time that was young enough to break that record. 

Congrats to MA. One more to go.

I was tracking MAF for a while there, say 5-6 years ago, wondering if he would eventually be able to challenge Roy for the second-most wins all-time.

Good for him.  Obviously gotta play for a lot of good teams to finish a career with that many wins, but also gotta be insanely durable.

We may never see a goalie reach 500+ wins ever again…no one on the active list is even close.  Quick has a shot at 400 career wins, and Bobrovsky is currently at 380, at 35 years old.  If he gets to 450 and isn’t showing much sign of decline, I’ll start to believe he’s got a shot at it.  

• Like 1

LOL if this is anywhere near true.  I know he’s having a hell of a year but it’s called a contract season.  I’ll never understand why the Leafs always overpay by so much on every important contract.   

wait until next year when it’s Marner that’s suddenly hot while playing for his next deal.   It might hit 15.  

14 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

LOL if this is anywhere near true.  I know he’s having a hell of a year but it’s called a contract season.  I’ll never understand why the Leafs always overpay by so much on every important contract.   

wait until next year when it’s Marner that’s suddenly hot while playing for his next deal.   It might hit 15.  

I am glad I am not the one to make these decisions but spending nearly 50% of your entire cap on 4 forwards seems pretty nuts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I am glad I am not the one to make these decisions but spending nearly 50% of your entire cap on 4 forwards seems pretty nuts.

They never learn.  11.5 per season for all 8 years and a full NMC for Nylander.   

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/maple-leafs-sign-william-nylander-to-eight-year-92m-contract-extension/

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1