2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

36 minutes ago, smelly said:

Fitz would much rather Saros.  He is done relying on anyone remotely unproven.  That's blown up in his face too many times.

Word is he has lots of preferred options before Askarov -- Markstrom, Ullmark, Swayman, Saros.

But beggars like Fitz can't be choosers.

I don't want Markstrom... he's too old.   We don't need a goalie will be 35 before we can even realistically get back into the playoffs (next playoff)
Ullmark/Swayman have never carried a heavy load.   I like Swayman more, but so does Boston and they are trying to extend him - but they aren't close.

Saros checks the boxes age wise and demonstrated workload.   He's small for a modern goalie at 5'11 - but like you said, beggars can't be choosers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Teams usually don't draft a kid like that to trade him...yeah, the Devils would have to pony up for him big-time to get them to consider moving him.  You might be looking at Holtz/Dawson (one or the other), two firsts (hopefully you can snag one of these in a deal for Toffoli to flip in this deal), and Casey to get their attention.  Yeah, it's a LOT.  

Oh come on

Just now, Jimmy Leeds said:

Oh come on

You're asking them to give up the kid that's supposed to be their guy for many years.  It's like I said, teams don't usually draft a guy like that to give him up, and also keep in mind that he figures to outperform his cap hit for at least a few years.  They're gonna make you pay for him.

If you don't want to give up that much, OK, I'm sure others would agree.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smelly said:

Dreger: Markstrom trade won't happen unless NJ includes Mercer and higher draft pick so Flames can sell it to ownership. 

Warned ya that Mercer was in play here. 

Markstrom is starting tonight; if something was happening, he wouldn’t be. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Markstrom is starting tonight; if something was happening, he wouldn’t be. 

The real takeaway is that if even Markstrom costs Mercer, then you can certainly kiss Dawson goodbye for anyone decent over the summer unless the Devils end up with and move a lottery pick. Holtz and Casey aren’t enticing anybody. 

Edited by smelly

Just now, smelly said:

The real takeaway is that if even Markstrom costs Mercer, then you can certainly kiss him goodbye for anyone decent over the summer unless the Devils end up with and move a lottery pick. 

Yeah Holtz and/or Mercer is most definitely going if we’re gonna get a real goalie, be it now or over the summer. But if I’m trading Mercer, I’d much rather trade him in a deal for Saros or Swayman, and not the 34 year old. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah Holtz and/or Mercer is most definitely going if we’re gonna get a real goalie, be it now or over the summer. But if I’m trading Mercer, I’d much rather trade him in a deal for Saros or Swayman, and not the 34 year old. 

I don’t think Swayman will be available. And I prefer a Saros I have to sign over an Ullmark I have to sign. 

Gotta believe that Saros is gonna cost Mercer, Casey and a pick, maybe a first.

That’s what you get for ignoring a position for years while everyone and their mother can see how desperate you are.

Only way to avoid that pound of flesh is to go for a guy like Elvis.  But while you keep other assets you pay a painful cost nevertheless by being locked into a long contract at high price that is way more than the guy is worth.

Gonna eat a sh!t burger either way.

Edited by smelly

1 minute ago, smelly said:

Gotta believe that Saros is gonna cost Mercer, Casey and a pick, maybe a first.

If Saros has an extension in place, I think I’d do that. But the first has to be top 10 protected, or it’s gotta be a first we get in a Toffoli deal. 

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

If Saros has an extension in place, I think I’d do that. But the first has to be top 10 protected, or it’s gotta be a first we get in a Toffoli deal. 

Unfortunately, whether that flies is almost entirely up to Trotz. 

Just now, smelly said:

Unfortunately, whether that flies is almost entirely up to Trotz. 

Yep. Although they WILL have to make a decision on Saros, so Trotz’s leverage goes only so far.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh I’m with you, not for Markstrom. Saros is a different story though. 

For Saros you can make the argument but not for Markstrom (in regard to Mercer).

• Like 1

Saros would be a huge upgrade at the position. Markstrom would be a nice upgrade, but I think Saros is a top 10 in the league. Get Saros in the playoffs and look out. 

I think I'd agree I'd be willing to move guys to get Saros and lock him up for 5 years. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, smelly said:

Dreger: Markstrom trade won't happen unless NJ includes Mercer and higher draft pick so Flames can sell it to ownership. 

Warned ya that Mercer was in play here. 

Mercer and a high first rounder for a 35 year old goalie who probably has 1-2 years left in the tank? I'll pass.

• Like 2