2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

39 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If Fitz winds up with Merzlikins or Gibson, it's going to feel like a Plan B or C settle.  I get that playing on bad teams can wreak havoc on a goalie's numbers (just ask Chico), but damn, those definitely aren't "Big Fish".

I feel like it's gotta be one of Saros, Ullmark, or Markstrom (in order of preference).  There's arguments to be made for AND against for each one...I would definitely consider Saros to be the most desirable.  Part of me wonders if Askarov could possibly be available.

EDIT:  and come to think of it, not sure how of a "win" Markstrom's going to feel like either.  Since becoming a guy who starts a lot of games (365 over the 7 seasons and counting), he's put up a 27.9 GSAA and a .910 save%...over the last four seasons, it's 11.4 GSAA and .908, and a further look at those seasons suggests a guy who's the poster boy for "volatile year-to-year NHL goalie"...and overall he's basically been a little above average.  Fair to wonder if he's really going to be THAT much of an upgrade over what 2022-23 VV gave the Devils...also fair to point out that the 2022-23 version of Markstrom sure seems a lot like 2023-24 VV, based on the numbers.

Not saying that I want VV back over Markstrom, just that I'm definitely not convinced that Markstrom's going to be the guy who makes us fully forget 2023-24 VV. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

Another factor is going to be the hopefully new coach who implements some kind of defensive scheme, that should help bring up any of the goalies we have. If they are coming from an amazing deep defensive team to our broken defense they are going to drop no matter who they are.

I just want a 1A goalie who can manage the rebounds himself and his glove hand isnt so weak every team just aims for it (VV).

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Another factor is going to be the hopefully new coach who implements some kind of defensive scheme, that should help bring up any of the goalies we have. If they are coming from an amazing deep defensive team to our broken defense they are going to drop no matter who they are.

I just want a 1A goalie who can manage the rebounds himself and his glove hand isnt so weak every team just aims for it (VV).

Yeah that’s what my main issue was with Lindy & Co…that even if you didn’t have much faith in the pre-deadline goalies this year, not like the lack of anything resembling a system was helping them out any.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If Fitz winds up with Merzlikins or Gibson, it's going to feel like a Plan B or C settle.  I get that playing on bad teams can wreak havoc on a goalie's numbers (just ask Chico), but damn, those definitely aren't "Big Fish".

I feel like it's gotta be one of Saros, Ullmark, or Markstrom (in order of preference).  There's arguments to be made for AND against for each one...I would definitely consider Saros to be the most desirable.  Part of me wonders if Askarov could possibly be available.

EDIT:  and come to think of it, not sure how of a "win" Markstrom's going to feel like either.  Since becoming a guy who starts a lot of games (365 over the 7 seasons and counting), he's put up a 27.9 GSAA and a .910 save%...over the last four seasons, it's 11.4 GSAA and .908, and a further look at those seasons suggests a guy who's the poster boy for "volatile year-to-year NHL goalie"...and overall he's basically been a little above average.  Fair to wonder if he's really going to be THAT much of an upgrade over what 2022-23 VV gave the Devils...also fair to point out that the 2022-23 version of Markstrom sure seems a lot like 2023-24 VV, based on the numbers.

Not saying that I want VV back over Markstrom, just that I'm definitely not convinced that Markstrom's going to be the guy who makes us fully forget 2023-24 VV. 

Yeah, not sure I get the love for Markstrom...that playoff series he had against Edmonton a few years back...yikes he was bad.

I like Saros. Not sure the advanced analytics department, who the owners believe in, will agree with the tradeoff in assets for an "elite" goaltender. I think that may have slowed down Fitzy along with potential player objections in his quest to get a goalie. Not sure we will ever know.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Anyone planning on going to Prague? I need to look into flights and actual costs but I'm definitely interested. 

I'm down. Only thing is I live in Italy and would meet the group there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hystyk28 said:

Yeah, not sure I get the love for Markstrom...that playoff series he had against Edmonton a few years back...yikes he was bad.

I like Saros. Not sure the advanced analytics department, who the owners believe in, will agree with the tradeoff in assets for an "elite" goaltender. I think that may have slowed down Fitzy along with potential player objections in his quest to get a goalie. Not sure we will ever know.

Yeah Saros is my first choice.  And I think Fitz is ready to part with some real assets to try to make it happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Saros is my first choice as well 

I think a goalie of Saros' caliber is the only type I would feel alright giving up roster players or a lot of other assets for. 

Anyone hear news on Siegenthaler? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I think a goalie of Saros' caliber is the only type I would feel alright giving up roster players or a lot of other assets for. 

Anyone hear news on Siegenthaler? 

No, not yet.  I just checked the Devils’ site and ESPN.com and didn’t see anything aside from the news about Rempe’s suspension.

22 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm completely out on those two, to be honest - that would be a massive failure by Fitz, IMO. Playing behind a bad team can be reasonably accounted for (not saying it's perfect) by compared actual goals against vs expected goals against. Over the last 3 seasons combined, Merzlikins has the 2nd worst differential among all goalies (-27 goals allowed vs expected). And then there is that contract ($5.4M AAV thru 2026-27)... woof. Gibson has been better (-1) over that same stretch but a) I'm not sure he'd be much better than Jake Allen and, b) his contract is also horrendous ($6.4M AAV thru 2026-27).

Barring another top goalie suddenly becoming available, I think you need to walk away with one of Saros, Ullmark or Markstrom. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

I'm completely out on those two, to be honest - that would be a massive failure by Fitz, IMO. Playing behind a bad team can be reasonably accounted for (not saying it's perfect) by compared actual goals against vs expected goals against. Over the last 3 seasons combined, Merzlikins has the 2nd worst differential among all goalies (-27 goals allowed vs expected). And then there is that contract ($5.4M AAV thru 2026-27)... woof. Gibson has been better (-1) over that same stretch but a) I'm not sure he'd be much better than Jake Allen and, b) his contract is also horrendous ($6.4M AAV thru 2026-27).

Barring another top goalie suddenly becoming available, I think you need to walk away with one of Saros, Ullmark or Markstrom. 

Yeah we're basically in full agreement...if one of Merzlikins or Gibson is the offseason "fish", then it's hard to make any arguments for the goaltending having improved much from this season, and I'd start having serious doubts about Fitz (I'm not there yet...I need to see how this offseason goes).  And unlike VV, who was signed at a cheap hit and was very cost-effective in 2022-23, either of these are going to eat up more space than we'd like (though I'm guessing either team dealing him would be expected to eat SOMETHING).  

Yeah, my choices are 1) Saros, 2) Ullmark, and (very distant third) Markstrom.  Really hoping for Saros, get the feeling it will be Markstrom.  

• Like 1

With all the Devils problems, they are STILL within striking distance of a WC spot.

But they have basically quit on the season, so there is no use debating it.

Oh, and don’t be surprised if you see Bratt’s name included on a deal for a goalie this offseason.

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

With all the Devils problems, they are STILL within striking distance of a WC spot.

Oh, and don’t be surprised if you see Bratt’s name included on a deal for a goalie this offseason.

Bratt?  I suppose no player is completely untouchable, but I’d be stunned if he were moved.

In other news, the Devils have recalled Hatakka.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, njbuff said:

IMG_7568.gif

Just now, ButlerBulldog said:

Bratt?  I suppose no player is completely untouchable, but I’d be stunned if he were moved.

In other news, the Devils have recalled Hatakka.

There is no chance. 

Bratt isn’t going anywhere.

Mercer though…if the Devils put together a package for Saros, hard to imagine he won’t be a part of it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I think Mercer would be dealt before Bratt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Bratt isn’t going anywhere.

Mercer though…if the Devils put together a package for Saros, hard to imagine he won’t be a part of it.

1 minute ago, xxchaznjxx said:

I think Mercer would be dealt before Bratt.

The way I see it, it would take an act of God for the following players to be moved: Jack, Nico, Bratt, Timo, Luke, and Nemec.  Mercer had a chance to play himself into that group, but he’s taken a step back this season and thus figures to pop up in trade rumors.  Holtz is another guy who could be dealt given how much Fitz apparently hates him.

• Like 1

Devils only have 17 games left with basically-dead playoff odds (2% per The Athletic's model) - they should just keep Siegs out and get an extended look at Hatakka from here on out. Doesn't make any sense to have Siegs suit up anymore this season, especially after taking that concussion.

• Like 5

Shame about the circumstances,  but glad Hatakka is back with the big club. I liked what he brought in the games he was up. See what he has got for the rest of the year. Make sure Seigenthaller can recover fully.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Devils only have 17 games left with basically-dead playoff odds (2% per The Athletic's model) - they should just keep Siegs out and get an extended look at Hatakka from here on out. Doesn't make any sense to have Siegs suit up anymore this season, especially after taking that concussion.

Next time we play the Rags I want one of their stars taken care of. Pick whoever their most important playoff player will be and knee on knee the motherfvcker. I’ve had it. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1