2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Does anyone actually consider Weekes an “insider” at this point? Should have known nothing was coming. 

Weekes just posts vague sh!t and nothing ever happens. I don’t take him seriously when it comes to information.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah PK was done two years ago. 

He was done before that, but unfortunately Nashville knew that before the Devils had to find out the hard way.

• Like 1

Guys need to wake up and start playing solid hockey or this team is on the cusp of selling off players. A spot where we NEVER thought this team would be.

A lot is on the goaltending, but far from all of it.

6 points out of a playoff spot with two games in hand, but the feeling is the Devils will remain a disappointment this season. What a waste.

23 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Guys need to wake up and start playing solid hockey or this team is on the cusp of selling off players. A spot where we NEVER thought this team would be.

A lot is on the goaltending, but far from all of it.

6 points out of a playoff spot with two games in hand, but the feeling is the Devils will remain a disappointment this season. What a waste.

Yeah, most of this has been discussed in far greater detail a number of times here.  Sadly I don't think it's a case of sleepwalking, as it is poor coaching...more so than injuries and goaltending, though obviously those have been factors too.

BUT, should the Devils find themselves in a position where becoming sellers makes the most sense (which will be likely become the case if Jack can't come back and/or isn't 100%, because without him at his best there's no offsetting the moron behind the bench), Fitz does have some pieces he can sell off.  Toffoli could fetch a decent return, especially as contenders looking to add offense strike out elsewhere...he's on pace for 37 goals this season, after having scored 34 last year, and hasn't missed a game since the start of last season; you can do a lot worse with a deadline pickup.  Smith (yeah, sounds crazy, I know), if he comes back healthy, might actually appeal to someone as a cheap depth piece...Devils won't get much more than, say, a 6th or 7th-round pick back, but at least Lindy won't be able to just keep throwing him out there, and Smith is a UFA-to-be anyway, so might as well try to get something for him.  Colin Miller is also a UFA-to-be, and on a cost-effective deal...could bring back a 3rd-rounder.

In Toffoli's case, who knows, if the Devils did decide to sell, Fitz could even tell him, "Look, go play for a team that has a real shot, then we can talk about bringing you back next year."  It's rare but that does happen sometimes...at least leave the door open.  

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, most of this has been discussed in far greater detail a number of times here.  Sadly I don't think it's a case of sleepwalking, as it is poor coaching...more so than injuries and goaltending, though obviously those have been factors too.

BUT, should the Devils find themselves in a position where becoming sellers makes the most sense (which will be likely become the case if Jack can't come back and/or isn't 100%, because without him at his best there's no offsetting the moron behind the bench), Fitz does have some pieces he can sell off.  Toffoli could fetch a decent return, especially as contenders looking to add offense strike out elsewhere...he's on pace for 37 goals this season, after having scored 34 last year, and hasn't missed a game since the start of last season; you can do a lot worse with a deadline pickup.  Smith (yeah, sounds crazy, I know), if he comes back healthy, might actually appeal to someone as a cheap depth piece...Devils won't get much more than, say, a 6th or 7th-round pick back, but at least Lindy won't be able to just keep throwing him out there, and Smith is a UFA-to-be anyway, so might as well try to get something for him.  Colin Miller is also a UFA-to-be, and on a cost-effective deal...could bring back a 3rd-rounder.

In Toffoli's case, who knows, if the Devils did decide to sell, Fitz could even tell him, "Look, go play for a team that has a real shot, then we can talk about bringing you back next year."  It's rare but that does happen sometimes...at least leave the door open.  

I’m sorry, but if we are selling at the fvcking deadline Fitz has questions to answer. That sh!t should never be an option anymore. Period. It’s not even something I’m going to entertain.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m sorry, but if we are selling at the fvcking deadline Fitz has questions to answer. That sh!t should never be an option anymore. Period. It’s not even something I’m going to entertain.

To be clear, I am 100% NOT there yet (being a seller).  That's only if the Devils fall completely out of this thing with very little chance of sneaking in.  If that happens, my first question to Fitz would be "How does Lindy still have a job here?!"

Also, the younger, long-term pieces of the core will still be very much be here.  Guys like Toffoli, Smith and Miller aren't locks to be here beyond this season anyway...but of course, if the Devils still have a shot to make the playoffs by the time the deadline rolls around, I'm keeping everyone, and if they leave this offseason, so be it.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This team has been so unlucky with injuries this year that I don't think you can level that much blame at Fitz. It was always going to be a shaky season just with the volume of changes in our own end.

At the end of the day you have to respond to the situation you are in, and if you are in a position where you can get assets and make the team better you have to do it. I would be more upset if Fitz just did nothing rather than respond to the circumstances. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

This team has been so unlucky with injuries this year that I don't think you can level that much blame at Fitz. It was always going to be a shaky season just with the volume of changes in our own end.

At the end of the day you have to respond to the situation you are in, and if you are in a position where you can get assets and make the team better you have to do it. I would be more upset if Fitz just did nothing rather than respond to the circumstances. 

I hear you, but that’s not something I can deal with right now. If they’re 8 or 10 points out at the end of February, fine. But what are we gonna get- picks? The rebuild is over. Picks don’t make us better until years down the road. Bottom line- if Fitz sells, we better be buried with no chance. 

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The sad part is, as I say they are on the cusp of being a 2023-24 failure…….

If they get in and are healthy, they are as dangerous as anyone.

And that’s why I don’t want Fitz even thinking about selling unless we are completely buried. If we don’t get a 2nd rounder back for Toffoli, I think we’ll survive. I also wanna be clear- I don’t give a sh!t about picks. If we sell, I want sh!t that can help TODAY.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

People keep saying "if we can get healthy"... Palat and Meier are back.  Obviously Jack is a huge loss and Dougie too, but outside of those two guys, the team we are icing now is what we've assembled to be a supposed contender.  Siegs? He's been awful this season. Many would argue that's addition by subtraction. Nosek? Journeyman player as far as I'm concerned. 

Maybe it's just me, but I'm trying not to be under any illusion that we're simply struggling right now because of injuries. I think there's way more issues than us just being banged up. Not to mention as we all know other teams deal with injuries too. 

Bottom line is players need to play better and coaches need to coach better. 

• Like 2