2023-2024 NJ Devils season thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

There’s only one issue. The Devils’ waiver priority won’t be great. After finishing in third place in the NHL last season, 29 teams will need to pass on Ruzika before the Devils can take him. It’s certainly a reality that Ruzika doesn’t fall that far. We’ll find out at 2 PM on Thursday.https://newjerseyhockeynow.com/2024/01/24/devils-can-address-new-center-void-on-nhl-waivers/?fbclid=IwAR1rSN5pq6vYSc7rmfkqInzMtXrRLQtJawJOdBrn7m2gheNpTChoK9r2rEg_aem_ARV37G9nOLN6bERq-bOv0a-VAFhG42Z-EaI2UEtyNk3WIHPwElljg57q6Jkj8xECTWs  How in the fvck is it that waiver priority is based on the previous year’s standings? It should be based on this year’s standings. That’s bullsh!t. 

According to this from HockeyWriters, that’s only if placed on waivers before Nov 1

60A4B3A4-F1F6-4C3C-80E6-00728EAA11B3.thumb.jpeg.2fce442e59ff2de75d3d1e6377f09a9e.jpeg

• Like 2

So someone said Fitz must have a plan in place to address what happened. The plan: https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/dowling-misyul-recalled-from-utica-blog?fbclid=IwAR13CGuBcSIjmVytcb3SqP8Zgkf5QiMGOOLC0DnzOUldMVp2jm73_qDCFq0_aem_ASZ6JIS6qzGhOA8FPyNJwTx9dMgkaWX6VNIl72zeuKTyL3T5TmSOiWpYtbBLnAhvL6s

This is not an acceptable plan. Get another fvcking NHL’er in here. Now.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

So someone said Fitz must have a plan in place to address what happened. The plan: https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/dowling-misyul-recalled-from-utica-blog?fbclid=IwAR13CGuBcSIjmVytcb3SqP8Zgkf5QiMGOOLC0DnzOUldMVp2jm73_qDCFq0_aem_ASZ6JIS6qzGhOA8FPyNJwTx9dMgkaWX6VNIl72zeuKTyL3T5TmSOiWpYtbBLnAhvL6s

Yeah, Dowling is little more than a warm body.

I'm hoping that Fitz is going to use the ASB to set something far more substantial set up.  I'm still hoping for Henrique myself.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm still hoping for Henrique myself.  

It makes too way too much sense, so I won’t be surprised when Rico is traded to Winnipeg for a 3rd and a B prospect. I’ll be pissed- but not surprised. 

Edited by MadDog2020

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It makes too way too much sense, so I won’t be surprised when Rico is traded to Winnipeg for a 3rd and a B prospect. I’ll be pissed- but not surprised. 

The funny thing is that Rico's numbers the last few years are just good enough that I can see Anaheim looking to cash in, or at the very least, try to wait until closer to the deadline to see if more teams get involved.  He's quietly averaged about 28 G and 26 A per 82 GP over his last three seasons.  

Of course, the risk with waiting to try to drum up a bigger return (especially for a UFA-to-be) is what if gets hurt?  And he did get hurt last year.

If the Devils want to jump to the front of the line, they might have to offer a 2nd-rounder as part of a package (yeah, a B-type prospect would probably have to go back the other way too).  I think I might do that, given the circumstances.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If the Devils want to jump to the front of the line, they might have to offer a 2nd-rounder as part of a package (yeah, a B-type prospect would probably have to go back the other way too).  I think I might do that, given the circumstances. 

Yeah I would do that without hesitation. Say a 2 and Graham Clarke. Something like that. Anaheim would also need to retain a bit I think.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

In fairness, I think Nosek was the plan.   Didn’t we all call him McLeod insurance when he was signed?   Not sure what else Fitz could have done to prepare himself for this rash of injuries coinciding with this scandal FINALLY coming to a head.   

Just like the goalie reports we’ve heard, I’m sure other GMs are asking sky high prices to help us right now.  While I think he owes it to the team to try and fill the gap left by McLeod, it also just doesn’t feel like this is the year to make any major move that doesn’t have positive ramifications for the team beyond this year.  

The proposals for Henrique you guys are talking about seem like the appropriate type move but again, that’s going to take some time because no one’s looking to help us on a moments notice    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

In fairness, I think Nosek was the plan.   Didn’t we all call him McLeod insurance when he was signed?   Not sure what else Fitz could have done to prepare himself for this rash of injuries coinciding with this scandal FINALLY coming to a head.   

Just like the goalie reports we’ve heard, I’m sure other GMs are asking sky high prices to help us right now.  While I think he owes it to the team to try and fill the gap left by McLeod, it also just doesn’t feel like this is the year to make any major move that doesn’t have positive ramifications for the team beyond this year.  

The proposals for Henrique you guys are talking about seem like the appropriate type move but again, that’s going to take some time because no one’s looking to help us on a moments notice    

Yeah, what I'm hoping for is for Fitz to talk to some GMs during the ASB to get an idea of what the asking price is for someone to help fill the open forward spot left behind by McLeod, and then hopefully have something done within 3-4 weeks.  I agree in that the "Fan Hopeful" timetable doesn't always match up with the GM timetable.

If Nosek's getting close to returning, I can Fitz wanting to get a look at him too.  I think Fitz really hates the idea of giving up assets whenever his Plan As break down, and as he's trying to come up with Plan B.  Not saying that that's the right approach, more that he'd rather exhaust his in-house options before having to make a deal he hadn't planned on making.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Fitz doesn’t like them either; I trust whatever this is will not be that. 

image.png.b26c3fe3efbea39c1cc029381c3d8bd3.png

• Like 1

As crazy as it often is to hope for one particular player, I’m really hoping Fitz makes a move for Henrique.  Not even because of Adam’s past here, but more for the fact that he checks off some good boxes:  versatile, can provide some offense, can PK, pretty good on faceoffs, and would be a rental.  And yeah, might be a good guy to have around given the circumstances.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As crazy as it often is to hope for one particular player, I’m really hoping Fitz makes a move for Henrique.  Not even because of Adam’s past here, but more for the fact that he checks off some good boxes:  versatile, can provide some offense, can PK, pretty good on faceoffs, and would be a rental.  And yeah, might be a good guy to have around given the circumstances.

Same here. Really hoping for a Rico reunion. It would be awesome on so many levels. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Have Another Donut said:

Not moving to help the rags get from out of a bad contract.

What is Amanda talking about here in the beginning? The Devils lost in regulation. They didn't get a point the last game.