GDT: Game 2 - Wile Es vs YOUR New Jersey Devils, 7:00 pm, MSG 10/13/2023

Colorado Rockies 1976

A somewhat ragged opening game, but Jack did Jack things, VV and his posts kept the Red Wings from jumping out to a multi-goal lead, and Dougie launched one of his twine-seeking missiles.  Did enough to win; good enough for me!

Hopefully some rust was shaken off, and some of the guys who seemed a bit off last night are ready to go tonight!

LET'S

GO

DEVILS!

Wile E Coyote GIFs | GIFDB.com

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

My dad and I are heading out to this one - hope it's as electric as opening night was.

LGD!  Assume we'll be seeing Schmid? 

Yeah, was there last night, going tonight.  Also going on 10/29, hoping to go on 10/27.

The first half of the game (and falling being 1-0 for a little) kinda took the crowd out of things a bit, but Jack definitely got everyone going.  Plenty of booing and "REFS YOU SUCK!" when Jack got called for his second penalty (and of course ever more booing when the Red Wings tied things up on their resulting power play).  Crowd was pretty lively during pregame, player intros, etc.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I sold my tickets for tonight, I detest back to back home games. 

That being said, 

LETS GO DEVILS!!! 

Yeah going right back the next day feels kinda weird in ways...I don't think I could do it on, say, a Mon - Tues, Tues - Wed, etc.  

• Like 1

LGD.

Hopefully they don't sleep on these guys.

Maccelli, Cooley, and Keller can make you pay. I think Coyotes will surprise some teams this year and steal some points.

Edit: Also, I hope Nate draws in tonight. I haven't been impressed with Nosek so far.

Edited by NJDevils1214

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

My dad and I are heading out to this one - hope it's as electric as opening night was.

LGD!  Assume we'll be seeing Schmid? 

Lots of tix available. Prob a 13k crowd. Hope they’re (you) loud! Enjoy.  I’d expect Schmid.

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

LGD.

Hopefully they don't sleep on these guys.

Maccelli, Cooley, and Keller can make you pay. I think Coyotes will surprise some teams this year and steal some points.

Edit: Also, I hope Nate draws in tonight. I haven't been impressed with Nosek so far.

I really want Bastian back in. Lazar does not do anything for me.

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Lots of tix available. Prob a 13k crowd. Hope they’re (you) loud! Enjoy.  I’d expect Schmid.

re:  last night it was only one game, but the whole point of bringing Lazar in was the fact that he DOESN'T take bad penalties, the way that Miles constantly - well, would - but he took one last night.  He's gotta keep that to a minimum if he wants to stay in the lineup.  I know he's a 4th line guy and his game is not about glamour numbers but he's gotta bring whatever it is that he's supposed to bring if he's playing as Bastian's expense.  I like Nathan in the lineup myself.  Is he dealing with something nagging, or was last night just a coach's decision?  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Unacceptable on a Friday night with an exciting team to watch. People need to get their asses out there tonight.

It really is unacceptable. We are all out of attendance excuses. I can give a pass if we’re not selling out every game but anything under 15k would be sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devlman said:

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

re:  last night it was only one game, but the whole point of bringing Lazar in was the fact that he DOESN'T take bad penalties, the way that Miles constantly - well, would - but he took one last night.  He's gotta keep that to a minimum if he wants to stay in the lineup.  I know he's a 4th line guy and his game is not about glamour numbers but he's gotta bring whatever it is that he's supposed to bring if he's playing as Bastian's expense.  I like Nathan in the lineup myself.  Is he dealing with something nagging, or was last night just a coach's decision?  

We haven't seen a ton of Lazar yet. He was hurt after he got here for a lot of the playoffs and now we're getting our first real look at how he fits in. He flubbed one clear. Bratt flubbed a clear too in front of the net that resulted in a goal and I haven't seen anyone too vocal about it. sh!t happens. It could have happened to anyone.

I say this fully recognizing that I haven't been impressed with Nosek-- we all have our biases lol.

14 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

We haven't seen a ton of Lazar yet. He was hurt after he got here for a lot of the playoffs and now we're getting our first real look at how he fits in. He flubbed one clear. Bratt flubbed a clear too in front of the net that resulted in a goal and I haven't seen anyone too vocal about it. sh!t happens. It could have happened to anyone.

I say this fully recognizing that I haven't been impressed with Nosek-- we all have our biases lol.

For me, it wasn’t just the flubbed clearance. It was the lack of any offensive contribution. With Bratt, you know for certain you’ll get that. With Lazar, I know for certain that we won’t. His history tells us as much. Just because you’re on the fourth line doesn’t mean you are exempt from offensive contributions.

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Back to back home games blow. I hate doing almost anything on back to back nights. Even more so when we'll have spells of no games for long stretches. 

Yeah our early schedule slate and how it fell on the calendar doesn’t help. A lot of western/unsexy teams.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Back to back home games blow. I hate doing almost anything on back to back nights. Even more so when we'll have spells of no games for long stretches. 

I understand that; it still doesn’t excuse 13,000. This team deserves better than that. 

https://newjerseyhockeynow.com/2023/10/13/game-preview-new-jersey-devils-face-arizona-coyotes/?fbclid=IwAR1Gz86hvsDOSes5pdlFmjpdJ9PeOPDU4xqs2q6dxnHk6ZIiEiyALiN5PEE_aem_ATnraiN5jPdwWyTUHwdtq9iDYZJKnhwWrJr9QL3sgPJizOOmJofDXFdVkoOKgjTHdAo#lnoy5rgdevg7ap259tl

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No Purple bar to start the year? Was it retired?

Saving that until we really need it...

38 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

As far as Lazar goes, I'm not really biased for or against him...and I did mention that it was just one game (one won by the Devils to boot).

It's more it felt like his main appeal was as a 4th-liner who doesn't take many penalties and doesn't make too many mistakes.  We didn't quite get that last night, but only one game.

And I do like Bastian more, but it seems like multiple 4th-liners are going to draw in and out of the lineup for a while, in this early going...and that's fine.  

Taking the little guy to the local high school football game tonight so I'll be watching this one on delay late tonight.   Hoping for a stat padder for the forwards and an Akira shutout but I suspect Arizona might turn out to be a little better than a road fodder this year.  

LGD!!!!    

• Like 1