GDT: Devils travel to St Louis Music Genre - 3 Nov @ 8p

jagknife

I pray it’s not a concussion because while he could only miss a handful of games he will be susceptible to them for the rest of this career. It’s strange but I’ve never reallly seen a concussed person reach for their head. 

Hoping he was just taken out for concussion precautionary reasons.

• Like 1

Dammit all…I know sh!t can happen to anyone, but to lose Nico and Jack within 10 games…fvck the hockey gods.  All of em.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

Elliotte Friedman: The word on Jack Hughes is it might take a day or two to figure out how serious things are/aren't

Strongly suggests it is NOT a concussion.

VERY consistent with my concern (stated earlier in this thread) that it is a disk/nerve issue in his cervical spine (neck) that will either settle down or not.  Will take an MRI to be sure what’s going on in there. A stinger will go away. A blown disk hitting the nerve would likely require artificial disk replacement or fusion surgery and end his season (docs would probably wait a few weeks/months and try an intravertabal epidural injection first before operating).

I hope I am wrong about this.  Very wrong. 

Edited by smelly
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Not usually. Concussion is probably best case scenario tbh. Like 5 games or so. But now we wait…

Problems with concussions:

- it’s easy as sh!t to get another after your first.

- you really never know how bad they are, they are the epitome of “okay I feel okay today” workout for a second and then you might be puking everywhere.

- one bad one and you’re Nolan Patrick (NOT SAYING JACK IS THIS EXTREME)

This is so damn frustrating cause BOTH of our top centers are out with upper body injuries. This team is built for now and this happens.

fvcking hell

Losing Jack and Nico is pretty disastrous.

I have always believed and still do that the scheduling in the NHL is a massive reason why players get injured. Fatigue leads to people making mistakes and players bodies being tired.

Personally I don't see any reason why any team should have to play back to back games. I certainly don't see any reason why any team should have to play back to back games with significant travel involved.  Finally if you are going g to make teams have back to backs every team should play the same amount on the season.

Anyway teams will quickly figure out if you play  disciplined game against  the Devils you stand a good chance of winning as we create little of meaning 5v5.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Problems with concussions:

- it’s easy as sh!t to get another after your first.

- you really never know how bad they are, they are the epitome of “okay I feel okay today” workout for a second and then you might be puking everywhere.

- one bad one and you’re Nolan Patrick (NOT SAYING JACK IS THIS EXTREME)

This is so damn frustrating cause BOTH of our top centers are out with upper body injuries. This team is built for now and this happens.

fvcking hell

This team is only just entering its window of competitiveness. Get the frustration, but it's not like the team has a few years left before you are rebuilding.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

This team is only just entering its window of competitiveness. Get the frustration, but it's not like the team has a few years left before you are rebuilding.

Absolutely correct, just feels REALLY dark today with Jack AND Nico out…

… could also be that it’s 430 for me and literally is still dark. lol

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Absolutely correct, just feels REALLY dark today with Jack AND Nico out…

… could also be that it’s 430 for me and literally is still dark. lol

Yeah this is all just a complete stunner…all I’m hoping for is for the team to be able to tread water until Jack is able to return (and of course Nico too).

As we know, finishing with the most points and having home ice…having that isn’t THAT important…just find your way into the playoffs, and take it from there.

Obviously the Devils getting through this starts with Dawson…sorry pal, we’ve all been very patient, but time to start contributing some level of offense…no more flying under the radar for you.  Team NEEDS you to step up big-time, end of story.

• Like 2

Yeah this sucks; just hope it’s nothing long term. If it is, other guys have to step up. You can’t replace Jack, but this is a talented roster and other guys (Dawson, I’m looking squarely at you) will have to pick it up. 

Edited by MadDog2020

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah this sucks; just hope it’s nothing long term. If it is, other guys have to step up. You can’t replace Jack, but this is a talented roster and other guys (Dawson, I’m looking squarely at you) will have to pick it up. 

The Devils are going to have to become a “by committee” team for a while…as much as it sucks to be in this situation, there’s still Bratt, Timo, Toffoli…and Dawson lying in the weeds.  Also Dougie and Luke…still a lot of talent here.  Maybe Holtz pitches in some too.

For whatever it’s worth, after the road trip, the Devils only play one game in six days.  Maybe by the end of that, who knows, Nico’s not far from being able to return.  Just trying to find reasons to stay positive.

And we gotta be fair…as much as this absolutely blows, other teams deal with this crap too.  Adam Fox just went on long-term IR for the Rangers.  The Avs got slammed with injuries to an almost comical degree at one point.  But goddammit all this is so damned frustrating…FUUUUUUUUCK

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And we gotta be fair…as much as this absolutely blows, other teams deal with this crap too.  Adam Fox just went on long-term IR for the Rangers.  The Avs got slammed with injuries to an almost comical degree at one point.  But goddammit all this is so damned frustrating…FUUUUUUUUCK

Colorado had LITERALLY every key player out last year at once to the point where everyone was wondering if they’d make the playoffs. They were icing a minor league lineup at one point. 

Edited by MadDog2020

My first choice would have been to have Jack continue to pile up points and run away with the Hart.  That being said, as long as it’s not too serious, it might not be the worst thing for this team to face a little adversity early in the season and figure out a way to not be so dependent on Jack.   As others have pointed out, there are still plenty of guys here that should be able to step up in his absence.   Dawson Mercer being at the top of the list.   

• Like 2

Mercer on the milk carton this year dealt a serious blow to him making big $$ imo. He has s"some" skill, but he made his mark with hustle/grit for not a big guy.  Was last year a fluke? Beginning to think yes.

Watching a breakdown (2nd goal) by Sal he pointed out on a Blues goal that immediately after the face-off Timo & Mercer didn't know who to pick up. Neither took Leddy or the other guy. This late in the game that should be known who you have. They actually ran into each other. i'm happy Schmido showed up.  Losing both Jach/Nico are pretty big holes. 

4 minutes ago, vincois said:

Mercer on the milk carton this year dealt a serious blow to him making big $$ imo. He has s"some" skill, but he made his mark with hustle/grit for not a big guy.  Was last year a fluke? Beginning to think yes.

Watching a breakdown (2nd goal) by Sal he pointed out on a Blues goal that immediately after the face-off Timo & Mercer didn't know who to pick up. Neither took Leddy or the other guy. This late in the game that should be known who you have. They actually ran into each other. i'm happy Schmido showed up.  Losing both Jach/Nico are pretty big holes. 

It’s too early for this.  Still a long way to go this season.

BUT, the time just became right fvcking now for Dawson, given the circumstances.  He’s gotta start banking some points 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Max20Characters said:

The third period became the Bratt show. He seemed to be the only player trying at that point. Mercer, Palat, Meier...where are they

Palat was noticeable for the last couple games and making chances. He absolutely needs to do more but he has leveled off the disappearing act a little