Lindy Ruff RELIEVED Of duties, Green Temp Coach

Colorado Rockies 1976

Just listening to Green's presser. He confirmed Nemec is sitting tonight, citing his play has "dipped the last 3 weeks."

Here are Nemec's on-ice impacts since 2/12: 

- 75% goal share at 5v5 (#1 among Devils' defensemen in that period)
- 62% expected goal share at 5v5 (#2 among Devils' defensemen in that period)

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

My take:

1) First off, the reporters on this really put Fitz on the spot with some pretty pointed questions. So we'll done to them , was refreshing to see.

2) Mixed messages on Holtz, early on in the conference Fitz said something about young players not learning anything with their arse glued to the bench. Which I read as maybe some criticism of Lindys handling of Holtz. But later on he kind of went in on him in quite a direct manner. Given he was jumping through hoops to cut the two goaltenders slack and not make it personal,I was pretty shocked. One thing I will say is that if Fitz is trying to package Holtz, probably best not to call out his work ethic in a press conference. 

3) Fitz has clearly been working the phones, I think if anything it shows he was doing his best to get Lindy what he needed so he didn't have to pull the trigger now and fire him. I got a real sense of personal responsibility for the situation the team is in from Fitz. Think he has learned a big lesson from this experience. 

4) I think Toffoli is traded before Friday. The fact that Fitz referenced there was a difference in term makes me think that Fitz will make sure he can get something back. He can circle back in the summer and he kind of hinted at that. To me he was trying to sound as non committal as possible, but it didn't really work.

I think if Fits should take anything away from this it's that he needs to be more visible. There were three rounds of general housekeeping/injury update questions, literally because he isn't avaliable for such long stretches.

1) Agree, thought the press was very fair in what they asked, and how they asked.

2) This was my biggest beef with anything Fitz had to say.  Why potentially de-value an asset, especially one that seems like his days here are now numbered?  I have nothing to base this on, but I get the feeling that Lindy & Co have been working with Holtz to try to address what they feel are the kid's biggest issues, and have gotten to the point where everyone (Fitz included) feel like he either isn't working hard enough at fixing them, or simply isn't getting it.  But apparently they've run out of patience.

3) Agree, he basically held himself accountable, as well as everyone else.  I get the feeling that the next coach is going to be a much different type of individual, and that's a good thing.

4) Another "nothing to base it on" idea, but I get the feeling Toffoli's camp wants four years but will settle for three at a slightly higher AAV, and Fitz is at two years firm, that's it, take it or leave it.  Due to that, I agree, think he's traded and if he's open to coming back at Fitz's price, Fitz will entertain that possibility.

And yeah, hopefully we start hearing more from him.  Especially if things aren't going according to plan.

12 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

At least he's making himself available.  That's a start.  

21 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Just listening to Green's presser. He confirmed Nemec is sitting tonight, citing his play has "dipped the last 3 weeks."

Guess we know why Green hasn't gotten another HC gig, and probably won't do enough for Fitz to be convinced to give him the gig next season.

I know the presser suggested otherwise, but I'll be stunned if someone completely different isn't coaching the Devils next season.  Green's run will be right up there with Kevin Constantine and John MacLean, in terms of how long he actually has the job.  It's like I said elsewhere...Green's simply "Not-Ruff", and he was already in house.  He's as interim as it gets.

• Like 2

Quick question as I am probably considered a 'casual' fan compared to a lot of you, but why is everyone so gung-ho on trading our leading scorer? Is it just because he's too slow for Jack? Is his cap hit going to be a problem? I want to keep TT but maybe I'm just not seeing what you all are seeing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Quick question as I am probably considered a 'casual' fan compared to a lot of you, but why is everyone so gung-ho on trading our leading scorer? Is it just because he's too slow for Jack? Is his cap hit going to be a problem? I want to keep TT but maybe I'm just not seeing what you all are seeing

1. He’s too slow to play on the same line as Jack, who needs to be paired with skaters who can match his speed and athleticism.

2. His presence is forcing Timo out of position.

3. He offers little besides scoring.

4. He’s older than the Devils’ other core players and is likely to be on the decline as they hit their primes.  Better to allocate the money that would be used to re-sign him to other areas of need.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Guess we know why Green hasn't gotten another HC gig, and probably won't do enough for Fitz to be convinced to give him the gig next season.

I know the presser suggested otherwise, but I'll be stunned if someone completely different isn't coaching the Devils next season.  Green's run will be right up there with Kevin Constantine and John MacLean, in terms of how long he actually has the job.  It's like I said elsewhere...Green's simply "Not-Ruff", and he was already in house.  He's as interim as it gets.

Yeah I mean either way I don't see Green sticking beyond the remainder of this season, barring some crazy Dan Bylsma-like run (and with these lineup decisions, don't count on that). I just wish I could hem and haw these last 20 games about stupid edge-the-lineup moves (like dressing Smith, MacDermid, Tierney, etc.) instead of sitting a kid whose probably your best defensemen on the active roster. That one strikes a nerve for me.

Also, citing "a lot has to do with his skating" is hilarious. Someone needs to send this film to Green ASAP (and probably fire whoever is responsible for video/film currently): 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

....did he mix up Nemec and Luke in his head?

Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

....did he mix up Nemec and Luke in his head?

I get the "let's send a message" type of thing but yeah you could've sat Luke who has been pretty bad the last few weeks, or one of the underperforming vets like Siegenathaler or Marino. It accomplishes your "flag stamp" but at least does it with a player who *actually* warrants sitting for a game or three.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

1. He’s too slow to play on the same line as Jack, who needs to be paired with skaters who can match his speed and athleticism.

2. His presence is forcing Timo out of position.

3. He offers little besides scoring.

4. He’s older than the Devils’ other core players and is likely to be on the decline as they hit their primes.  Better to allocate the money that would be used to re-sign him to other areas of need.

5. We can net a first as a rental (pending UFA) 
6. We can resign him this summer, for free, if he makes it to UFA (could be part of the Fitzy discussion)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devils01 said:

Nemec scratched…okay Travis 

nmig posted that Travis said something about "his play having dipped in recent weeks"

Neither the metrics nor the eye test really seem to support that claim though.  Would like to hear Travis explain that further.  

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

nmig posted that Travis said something about "his play having dipped in recent weeks"

Neither the metrics nor the eye test really seem to support that claim though.  Would like to hear Travis explain that further.  

I didn't see it until afterward but he cited skating (??), hence my video comment above. 

Meanwhile... Luke is 1st among all NHL defensemen in giveaways since Feb 1 (plus ugly defensive metrics behind it) lol.

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Devils01 said:

Nemec scratched…okay Travis 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Given the amount of playing time Nemec has logged this season, I don’t mind him getting scratched, as he could probably use the breather.  However, I agree that Green needs to provide context for his remarks, as Nemec has been arguably the Devils’ best defenseman since his debut against the Sharks.  I hope he doesn’t become the next whipping boy in the organization now that Holtz appears to be on his way out the door, as he has the ability to become a transcendent player.

20 minutes ago, StarDew said:

Well we have a lot of hypocrites here but that's ok. btw bitching is old hat too.

Now back to bitching and mocking.  Carry on.

I gotta admit, sometimes I (and suspect others) have no idea what you're going on about, when you get like this.

First off, is there some rule in place that when someone posts an opinion on a DISCUSSION BOARD for all to see (especially one about not liking the board and calling members crybabies), that no one else is allowed to respond to it?  It's not the first time you've gone the "It's my (or someone else's) opinion and they're allowed to have it" route, as though someone told the person who posted the opinion that they're not allowed to have one.  Should people just get to say whatever they want, without expecting anyone to comment or discuss, even if it's just an "opinion", on a message board?  On what level does that make ANY sense?

The season has been brutal, with coaching sure seeming to be a major factor in that happening, complete with several ugly losses (even against "bad" teams), which yes, will almost certainly lead to venting and bitching, especially when it doesn't appear that enough is being done to try to right the ship in a timely manner.  So is there another rule in place that fans who obviously care plenty about this team shouldn't be to share their frustrations with FELLOW DEVILS FANS?  It's fine if "bitching" is not YOUR thing, but if others are frustrated about what's happened about what's been going on and want to vent and bitch about it and DM doesn't have an issue with anyone who's doing it and doesn't issue any warnings, I don't see what's so terrible about it.  Especially since, as others have noted, most here are actually getting along reasonably well these days...most of the anger is directed toward this team and this tough season, and not towards each other.  

And before you accuse me of somehow picking on you, re-read the above.  I haven't called you anything or insulted you in any way.  I'm simply asking why you seem to get so easily triggered by things that really shouldn't trigger you.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I gotta admit, sometimes I (and suspect others) have no idea what you're going on about, when you get like this.

First off, is there some rule in place that when someone posts an opinion on a DISCUSSION BOARD for all to see (especially one about not liking the board and calling members crybabies), that no one else is allowed to respond to it?  It's not the first time you've gone the "It's my (or someone else's) opinion and they're allowed to have it" route, as though someone told the person who posted the opinion that they're not allowed to have one.  Should people just get to say whatever they want, without expecting anyone to comment or discuss, even if it's just an "opinion", on a message board?  On what level does that make ANY sense?

The season has been brutal, with coaching sure seeming to be a major factor in that happening, complete with several ugly losses (even against "bad" teams), which yes, will almost certainly lead to venting and bitching, especially when it doesn't appear that enough is being done to try to right the ship in a timely manner.  So is there another rule in place that fans who obviously care plenty about this team shouldn't be to share their frustrations with FELLOW DEVILS FANS?  It's fine if "bitching" is not YOUR thing, but if others are frustrated about what's happened about what's been going on and want to vent and bitch about it and DM doesn't have an issue with anyone who's doing it and doesn't issue any warnings, I don't see what's so terrible about it.  Especially since, as others have noted, most here are actually getting along reasonably well these days...most of the anger is directed toward this team and this tough season, and not towards each other.  

And before you accuse me of somehow picking on you, re-read the above.  I haven't called you anything or insulted you in any way.  I'm simply asking why you seem to get so easily triggered by things that really shouldn't trigger you.   

TLDR

10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's funny, when he said that goals weren't the problem, I was thinking "Outside of the SJ game and the SS game, has this team really been scoring that much lately?"

Over this 8-12-1 valley, they've scored 60 goals, scoring 2 or less in 10 of them...and 19 of those goals have come in three games.  So yeah, scoring's been an issue.

• Like 1

I've said this for a while going back to Fitz's offseason comments on Holtz last year...they obviously think he's a slacker and needs a boot up his ass constantly.  Maybe they're right about that part of it, but it seems like such a rash miscarriage of justice that ONLY HE gets ragged for bullsh!t everyone else does a lot more often, including other younger players.  Nemec getting benched while Luke plays on is just the latest example of selective enforcement.

Like I get you want to come down harder on the people who aren't self-starters but you can't let everyone else off the damn hook entirely here.  Especially when two of the biggest offenders of sloppiness and pouting will never be called out because of their last name.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Yeah but he was also asked about his young goalies and defensemen, too. 

Someone on the bench needed to be scapegoated, so Fitz kept to the Lindy narrative on Holtz. He's a coward. I honestly hope they trade Holtz and his career takes off with the new team, just to throw egg on Fitz's smug face.

Extending Toffoli is asinine when they could package him for a possible 1st rounder. Ruff was a terrible coach this year but Fitz compounded the problem by never bringing in a real goalie when he knew the defense was mostly rookies. His brilliant idea was sticking with VV and two rookie goalies. And then to add insult to injury, he convinces ownership to give him a fat, new contract and promotion to President/GM midway through the year as the team is faltering. Fitz is your typical opportunist who moves up the corporate ladder based on influencing others and political acumen, instead of merit. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I've said this for a while going back to Fitz's offseason comments on Holtz last year...they obviously think he's a slacker and needs a boot up his ass constantly.  Maybe they're right about that part of it, but it seems like such a rash miscarriage of justice that ONLY HE gets ragged for bullsh!t everyone else does a lot more often, including other younger players.  Nemec getting benched while Luke plays on is just the latest example of selective enforcement.

Like I get you want to come down harder on the people who aren't self-starters but you can't let everyone else off the damn hook entirely here.  Especially when two of the biggest offenders of sloppiness and pouting will never be called out because of their last name.

What’s particularly puzzling about the Nemec situation is that neither analytics nor the eye test supports Green’s assertions that Simon’s play has dipped, so I’d like to hear more about the rationale for benching him—although, as I said earlier, I don’t mind Nemec resting in and of itself, as this is the first time he’s played an NHL schedule, so he could probably use a day to reset.  I just don’t want him to become the new Holtz now that the original appears consigned to Western Conference oblivion, as nothing we’ve seen suggests he’s not playing hard or paying attention to his coaches.  It’s certainly possible there have been issues behind the scenes, but I don’t like to assume the worst about people in the absence of empiric evidence.

As for the Hughes brothers, I absolutely think Jack should’ve been benched for a shift after his temper tantrum in the home game against the Kings, as he was fortunate to avoid a game misconduct after breaking his stick on the boards, and I think Luke needs to sit 1-2 games as punishment for his carelessness with the puck.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Luke could play like complete garbage 100% of the time and nothing would happen because Fitz will make sure Jack is happy at all costs. The only saving grace is Jack seems like enough of a competitor to tell his younger brother to get his sh!t together. We'll see. 

This isn't an indictment of Luke, Jack, or any of the other younger players not named Holtz. It is an indictment of Fitz (and Ruff) though. You can't hold Holtz accountable and not hold any of the other players accountable. That's sh!t leadership.

Fitz is a joke. Typical cowardly executive who plays favorites and rags on players who are easy targets. If he proves me wrong, I'm all for eating crow.

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 1