GDT: Devils @ Predators - 8PM, 2/13

ButlerBulldog

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I had the Billy Madison you blew it gif ready and waiting. :P

The exchange between Kramer and George Costanza after the latter lost his toupee and was dumped by his bald girlfriend for being too stocky would also have worked: “You blew it, boy!  You really blew it!”

One underrated moment: when the Predators’ captains of yesteryear were being introduced, all the Devils fans near me gave a nice round of applause when Jason Arnott’s name was announced (he was not in attendance).

Edited by ButlerBulldog
  • Like 2

Few thoughts on the broadcast: Sal is being allowed to act as a second analyst more and more lately. He’s been jumping in during the play adding good insight to balance Daneyko’s pointless and generic ramblings. 

Annoying that MSG cut away from Fitz being introduced when they could have easily shown it and cut to the lineups after.

The Devil promo adverts (ie guy with the tattoo parlor) mention the damn rags far too much. Seems like half of our promos mention them which makes no sense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, devlman said:

Few thoughts on the broadcast: Sal is being allowed to act as a second analyst more and more lately. He’s been jumping in during the play adding good insight to balance Daneyko’s pointless and generic ramblings. 

Annoying that MSG cut away from Fitz being introduced when they could have easily shown it and cut to the lineups after.

The Devil promo adverts (ie guy with the tattoo parlor) mention the damn rags far too much. Seems like half of our promos mention them which makes no sense.

Perpetuates what the kids say these days “rent free”

I’ve also noticed Sal more during play lately, but I guess since I haven’t been paying attention to most of what’s being said (low volume if not muted thanks to the boys’ early bedtime) I feel like the times he jumps in feels a little awkward. Especially since, at least on my feed, his volume is lower than Bill or the Rambler

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Perpetuates what the kids say these days “rent free”

I’ve also noticed Sal more during play lately, but I guess since I haven’t been paying attention to most of what’s being said (low volume if not muted thanks to the boys’ early bedtime) I feel like the times he jumps in feels a little awkward. Especially since, at least on my feed, his volume is lower than Bill or the Rambler

I’ve definitely had trouble hearing him at times recently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

... Especially since, at least on my feed, his volume is lower than Bill or the Rambler

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I’ve definitely had trouble hearing him at times recently. 

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Sweet, it’s not just me getting old… or Tinitas 

It's definitely the feed, and it's not always just Sal. MSG does a p!sspoor job with the audio. Except for the commercials; the commercial volume can peel the paint off the walls if the sound is turned up loud enough to hear the Bill, Dano, & Sal.

• Like 1

Sal is always ridiculously lower...  and more than half the time I have no idea what Dano is even trying to convey.  He doesn't add anymore insight or polish than Chico, but he isn't as likeable.  Sometimes I prefer listening in the car for the nostalgia aspect with Chico still doing his thing on the radio.

Sal is better than Dano for sure, but STOP IT RIGHT THERE....   I don't want to listen to him.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, aylbert said:

Sal is always ridiculously lower...  and more than half the time I have no idea what Dano is even trying to convey.  He doesn't add anymore insight or polish than Chico, but he isn't as likeable.  Sometimes I prefer listening in the car for the nostalgia aspect with Chico still doing his thing on the radio.

Sal is better than Dano for sure, but STOP IT RIGHT THERE....   I don't want to listen to him.

Yeah Dano is just really not good at this.  Not articulate and the "OH BOY!"s...and his voice is just not meant to be listened to for a full game.  Love the player, love his part in Devils history and lore...but he's a tough listen.  And he's not improving.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

He looked great last night, let’s hope he keeps it up. 

He's been terrific in his role pretty much the entire season.

Also, he's done exactly what he's supposed to:  be a better and smarter version of Wood...obviously doesn't have Wood's speed, but he's put up roughly the same offensive numbers here and doesn't take so many of the dumb penalties that Wood does.  Wood's taken 61 PIM this season; Lazar's only taken 16.  Lazar's also signed to ELC-level money (only $1 million AAV over this season and next).  He's been great value.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Also, he's done exactly what he's supposed to:  be a better and smarter version of Wood...obviously doesn't have Wood's speed, but he's put up roughly the same offensive numbers here and doesn't take so many of the dumb penalties that Wood does.  Wood's taken 61 PIM this season; Lazar's only taken 16.  Lazar's also signed to ELC-level money (only $1 million AAV over this season and next).  He's been great value.  

And he contributes the occasional goal or assist here and there, just like wood.

and the dude seems so humble.

add that to his actual level of discipline, it’s a massive upgrade 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

And he contributes the occasional goal or assist here and there, just like wood.

Wood can obviously be a little more dynamic, but even though he tends to bring more offense (about 30.5 points per 82 GP compared to Lazar's 18.4 for their careers), the boneheadedness was really getting hard to take...especially last season.  It felt like both Wood and Smith just couldn't wait to take an incredibly stupid penalty.  That's what I like about Lazar...I'll take what amounts to one less point every 7 games or so from Lazar compared to what Wood might provide, in exchange for the lack of pure stupidity.

Lazar's on pace for career-high in points...if he can actually put up 20+ points per 82 GP as a Devil and keep doing all of the little things, I'd be thrilled with that.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

He’s just super likable. Idk how many of you saw the thing he did with Amanda at the Sweep the Deck event a couple weeks ago, but he was cracking me up. Especially his little jab at Luke about the Hughes’ :lol:

• Like 1
  • EvilHeart 2

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s just super likable. Idk how many of you saw the thing he did with Amanda at the Sweep the Deck event a couple weeks ago, but he was cracking me up. Especially his little jab at Luke about the Hughes’ :lol:

Freaking loved that.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Love that guy.

He and Nemec have been the true bright spots this cursed season.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, smelly said:

Love that guy.

He and Nemec have been the true bright spots this cursed season.

I'd say Bratt too.  He's lived up to every penny of his deal...on pace for a career year offensively and hasn't missed a single game.

And Luke's had a plenty solid rookie year...sure he's made expected rookie mistakes but the talent is so obviously there and he's getting needed experience.  Also hasn't missed so much as a single game; getting used to 82-game seasons is clearly part of the process (took Bratt a while to acclimate).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Man, that one should've been less of a nail biter if Saros didn't stand on his head. The Devils completely dominated the flow of play at five-on-five: high danger shot attempts were 23-9 in favor of NJ (more than half of those were with Nemec on the ice, by the way).

I've been giving Bahl a lot of crap lately but he had an excellent game while Smith played pretty poorly, in my opinion. 

Great to see Meier pot one... he needed that. 

The Devils top 3 lines have come together nicely but the Holtz-Nosek-Bastian experiment on the 4th line the last few games has been brutal.

Edited by nmigliore
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Man, that one should've been less of a nail biter if Saros didn't stand on his head. The Devils completely dominated the flow of play at five-on-five: high danger shot attempts were 23-9 in favor of NJ (more than half of those were with Nemec on the ice, by the way).

I've been giving Bahl a lot of crap lately but he had an excellent game while Smith played pretty poorly, in my opinion. 

Great to see Meier pot one... he needed that. 

The Devils top 3 lines have come together nicely but the Holtz-Nosek-Bastian experiment on the 4th line the last few games has been brutal.

Now that McLeod's gone and extremely unlikely ever to be welcomed back, wouldn't surprise me much if Bastian is dealt before the deadline.  He hasn't been good and now that his (former?) best bud is out of the picture, doesn't feel like there's that much reason to keep him around.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Now that McLeod's gone and extremely unlikely ever to be welcomed back, wouldn't surprise me much if Bastian is dealt before the deadline.  He hasn't been good and now that his (former?) best bud is out of the picture, doesn't feel like there's that much reason to keep him around.   

He is the most forgettable player on the team. I’m fed up with his lack of contribution.

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

He is the most forgettable player on the team. I’m fed up with his lack of contribution.

Yeah it felt like he kinda had a little something going for a while (and was only being asked to be a 4th-liner most of the time), but he's been largely meh at best within his role this year.

Holtz being asked to play on a line with Tierney and Bastian...yikes.  Those two could drag Connor McDavid down. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agreed, Wood also gives a ton back defensively whereas Lazar has been one of the better defensive forwards in the league this season whether you look at suppressing shot attempts, high danger shot attempts, scoring chances, expected goals, actual goals, etc.

• Like 1

Who would have thought, a focus on defense and some tweaks in structure would result in 5 points in 3 games and there first back to back wins for the season.  Ruff waited until there backs are against the wall and can only lose 9 games to get to 100 points, which is what it will take to get into the playoffs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

Agreed, Wood also gives a ton back defensively whereas Lazar has been one of the better defensive forwards in the league this season whether you look at suppressing shot attempts, high danger shot attempts, scoring chances, expected goals, actual goals, etc.

Yeah Wood's all-around game was often all-around maddening heh heh.  He was a big dumb animal whose antics got to be less and less forgivable as his career continued to unfold...especially once the Devils turned the corner.

He did have his moments and he could score a little, but I can't get that excited about 15-19 goals per 82 GP when too many dopey moments came with them.  Curious if he's getting away from some of that in Colorado...if he's evolving.