GDT: Kings @ Devils - 7PM, 2/15

ButlerBulldog

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

I think I'd like to see Schmido come in for a game or two and see how he does in front of the new adjustments that have been made as far as systems. 

I was surprised he didn’t start Tuesday because of the back-to-back.  As long as Daws is playing well, he should be the first option in net, but I agree that getting Schmid a start or two makes sense, especially if Vanecek is out for a while.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Daws has the hot hand. Ride it. 

I don't see it. He's a .906 right now. I've liked him and he's been good back there most of the time. 

I don't see Daws as much better than Vanecek. He's one bad game away from having Vanecek numbers. 

I've always been an advocate of goaltender numbers are just reflections of the team in front. The GSAA advanced stats are pretty good for trying to reliably represent the individual goaltender performance.

I would argue that since this little system adjustment, we've seen better play out of VV and Daws as a result and I think Schmid could really run away with another shot. 

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I don't see it. He's a .906 right now. I've liked him and he's been good back there most of the time. 

He’s stopped 59 of 62 shots faced the last three games. I’d ride him until he stops stopping the puck at that rate. Schmid will get another shot, don’t you worry.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He’s stopped 59 of 62 shots faced the last three games. I’d ride him until he stops stopping the puck at that rate. 

I just averaged out Vanecek's sv pct. over his last five games and it's coming out to a .930. CGY was a VV stinker, but if you remove that game he's playing near the same level right now. 

Those numbers support my theory that the tendies are getting some help from the adjustments.

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I just averaged out Vanecek's sv pct. over his last five games and it's coming out to a .930. CGY was a VV stinker, but if you remove that game he's playing near the same level right now. 

Those numbers support my theory that the tendies are getting some help from the adjustments.

The defensive tweaks have definitely helped, no question. I think if Daws plays well again tonight, he’ll get the SS game on Saturday. After that, we’ll see.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I don't see Daws as much better than Vanecek. He's one bad game away from having Vanecek numbers. 

I've always been an advocate of goaltender numbers are just reflections of the team in front. The GSAA advanced stats are pretty good for trying to reliably represent the individual goaltender performance.

I would argue that since this little system adjustment, we've seen better play out of VV and Daws as a result and I think Schmid could really run away with another shot. 

Daws has had good games and not-so-good games.  The last two were good (60 shots and 57 saves)...the three before that, not so much (.836 save%).  But those came before the break, and the Devils appear to be actually giving their goalies a chance now, so maybe Daws can get a little something going.

Even though the goalies overall haven't been great this year, yeah, I don't see how many could've possibly flourished given the Devils' play in their own end.  At the very least, I wanted to see VV/Schmid/Daws get a lot more support.  Looks like that might actually be starting to happen.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

I always believed that the Devils goalies are average at worse and that the system sucked.  Looking at the small sample since the All-star game, I believe we will see at least average goaltending if they continue to buy-in in the system.  

Edited by Puckbuster
Edit: and we will see above average goal scoring.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Puckbuster said:

I always believed that the Devils goalies are average at worse and that the system sucked.  Looking at the small sample since the All-star game, I believe we will see at least average goaltending if they continue to buy-in in the system.  

VV has definitely not helped at times but I felt that he should be capable of average play...in the regular season, anyway; that's pretty much what he'd been coming into this season.  When some people say that they could see that VV was going to be bad this year, I didn't think that made much sense.  He's not blameless but yeah, I don't think the team was doing ANY of their goalies any real favors for most of the season, until recently.

Playoff VV...relatively small samples, but yeah, not going to pretend that I won't be concerned about him.  Hopefully the Devils fight their way into the playoffs to begin with.  As we know, they're in the hunt, but it won't be easy.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He’s stopped 59 of 62 shots faced the last three games. I’d ride him until he stops stopping the puck at that rate. Schmid will get another shot, don’t you worry.

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The defensive tweaks have definitely helped, no question. I think if Daws plays well again tonight, he’ll get the SS game on Saturday. After that, we’ll see.

I would play Schmid tonight and reward Nico for his recent play with Saturday's game.   No need to run the guy who is just coming off hip surgery into the ground with a 3rd game in 4 days, no matter how good the numbers are.    

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I would play Schmid tonight and reward Nico for his recent play with Saturday's game.   No need to run the guy who is just coming off hip surgery into the ground with a 3rd game in 4 days, no matter how good the numbers are.    

Not a bad idea, but Daws was in the starter’s net this morning so it sounds like he’s going tonight. 

• Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Not a bad idea, but Daws was in the starter’s net this morning so it sounds like he’s going tonight. 

I'm sure the Devils are well aware of managing Daws' workload and if there was anything resembling pain or fatigue, that he would be rested accordingly.

After Saturday, Devils play Caps on Tues.  That's a perfect game to work Schmid back in.  

• Like 5

On 2/14/2024 at 3:17 PM, devlman said:

I’m not attributing the new system to Lindy at all. It took until February when we all could see the change was needed back in November. I’m sure Lindy’s arm had to be twisted and twisted and twisted. He doesn’t get credit in my book. In other words, fvck him.

This.

LGD!

On 2/14/2024 at 12:28 AM, ButlerBulldog said:

I’m somewhat wary of a letdown at home after the Nashville breakthrough, but perhaps ending that losing streak is a sign the energy is shifting.  LGD!

I’m actually very confident.  The new system allows Smith and Miller, along with the rest of the team, to play a heavier style of play in their own zone.  That is what they needed.

But where do you put him?  You can't really move any of those other wingers to the 4th line?  Maybe Lazar to the 4th line C then you're moving Mercer and Nosek out of their positions.  As long as the front office isn't planning on trading him for his poor production, he's the guy that can wait for a spot up front to open.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crisis said:

But where do you put him?  You can't really move any of those other wingers to the 4th line?  Maybe Lazar to the 4th line C then you're moving Mercer and Nosek out of their positions.  As long as the front office isn't planning on trading him for his poor production, he's the guy that can wait for a spot up front to open.

Agreed. As much as I want him to play with better players, at this moment with bodies back from injuries he is kinda stuck on the 4th unless he got lindy some good worthers for valentines day.

20 minutes ago, Oglethorpe13 said:

Agreed. As much as I want him to play with better players, at this moment with bodies back from injuries he is kinda stuck on the 4th unless he got lindy some good worthers for valentines day.

At least he's getting PP2 time

• Like 1