Fitz?

Fitz did a great job building 2022-23 team and lots of mistakes building 2023-24 team, although some of them you can’t really blame him 

1) Meier trade - never quite worked out so far but on paper a move that a GM of a contending team has to make it given an opportunity 

2) No Plan B for impeding departing D. Kinda goes back to #1, not resigning Meier would have been waste of assets of the trade while resigning him meant no possibility of resigning either of them.

3) Sharangovich (and a 3rd) for Toffoli this one seems a mistake - one should never trade young for old, already have signed Meier just keep Sharangovich who clearly had a lot of talent, put him in situations to succeed (see Calgary) and let him develop 

4) Goalies - tough to say, VV and Schmid seemed kinda fine coming in and we don’t know if Helleybuck was really being seriously explored or not. The reason waiver pickups like Spencer Martin do well in Carolina is because the team is very well structured and one could put Darren Pang in nets if team bears down and starts paying attention to details.

5) Replacement pieces: kinda sucked. Nosek for Boqvist: downgrade, Tierney/whoever for Wood/Tatar -downgrade, etc. Only Colin Miller semi-decent. Boqvist was waivers a few months ago wasn’t being considered as an option to be brought back.

6) MM loss was big unfortunately- Fitz wasn’t to blame of course and nothing can be done to replace his Faceoff % 

But overall 23-24 team was poorly constructed 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, capo said:

I would not be surprised if Martin Brodeur becomes the GM of this team this summer. New contract, new title, don't mean sh!t.  

I don’t think I’m that down on Fitz just yet. He should probably get one more chance to get the next coaching hire right. 

I know a lot of people would be against Marty getting the job, but seeing how well Sakic and Yzerman have both done as GM’s who knows. 

• Like 1

Thinking out loud here (or I guess typing):

We saw a lot of reporters from Monday talking about how this was an emotional decision for Fitz to fire Lindy. Even in the press conference, it was very apparent this one stung him to the core. Which leads me to my question: has FItz wandered into the personal side of the personal/professional line as a GM?

For example, I'm an instructor in the aviation field. No matter how good of a person I think my student is, or if it is even a friend of mine, I have to grade objectively for their safety, mine and everyone else. I'm sure the same can be said for literally any profession as you develop your organizations: remove the emotional element and strictly assess people on their work performance and the quality of that performance.

Flip to Monday, and there was one tweet (x?) that stuck out to me almost glaring warning sign, not going to search for it before I leave for work, but the gist of it was 'Every personnel move Fitz makes it takes a toll on him. Firing a coach, trading a player, etc'

I'm not asking for a robotic GM, or one with no discernible emotions like a mafia don (ahem....), but I worry if Fitz' now emotional ties is slowing down his ability to make rapid change when he sees a glaring need. Be it goaltending or the now already processing of firing his beloved mentor.

CR said it in another thread, but Fitz is at a critical crossroads and a few short months will decide his fate, and more importantly, the direction of the franchise in the near future.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, jagknife said:

Thinking out loud here (or I guess typing):

We saw a lot of reporters from Monday talking about how this was an emotional decision for Fitz to fire Lindy. Even in the press conference, it was very apparent this one stung him to the core. Which leads me to my question: has FItz wandered into the personal side of the personal/professional line as a GM?

For example, I'm an instructor in the aviation field. No matter how good of a person I think my student is, or if it is even a friend of mine, I have to grade objectively for their safety, mine and everyone else. I'm sure the same can be said for literally any profession as you develop your organizations: remove the emotional element and strictly assess people on their work performance and the quality of that performance.

Flip to Monday, and there was one tweet (x?) that stuck out to me almost glaring warning sign, not going to search for it before I leave for work, but the gist of it was 'Every personnel move Fitz makes it takes a toll on him. Firing a coach, trading a player, etc'

I'm not asking for a robotic GM, or one with no discernible emotions like a mafia don (ahem....), but I worry if Fitz' now emotional ties is slowing down his ability to make rapid change when he sees a glaring need. Be it goaltending or the now already processing of firing his beloved mentor.

CR said it in another thread, but Fitz is at a critical crossroads and a few short months will decide his fate, and more importantly, the direction of the franchise in the near future.

I commented about this yesterday, I hate it. It shows how immature he is and how he can't seperate personal friendships from business and this is a business. It's why he didn't fire Lindy months ago like he should have. He cost us any potential possibility of turning this season around.

Go watch the press conference. Dude looked like he was crying before it started. This isn't some tragic event. Lindy has been paid very very very well for many years with us and other teams to coach a game. He'll be just fine, he didn't die like the way Fitz acts. 

He also didn't learn anything from Shero holding out too long on firing Hynes. I've really soured on Fitz over this whole situation. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I commented about this yesterday, I hate it. It shows how immature he is and how he can't seperate personal friendships from business and this is a business. It's why he didn't fire Lindy months ago like he should have. He cost us any potential possibility of turning this season around.

I hate it too. I understand emotions, but you CANNOT let that interfere with business. He better have learned a big lesson from this. Being an NHL GM isn’t for the faint of heart. 

• Like 3

Red flag. Now that he's finally fired Ruff, maybe Fitz can get some ice water coursing through his veins. But I doubt it. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Mitico12 said:

Fitz isn't a NJ Devil or doesn't have our DNA, so that's a problem for me.

This is really dumb, sorry.  Were you saying any of this when damned near everyone was singing his praises last offseason?  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Crisis said:

You guys have no idea if his personal relationship affected his decision to fire Lindy lol

Of course we don’t know that for sure. But considering Fitz was almost sobbing yesterday, I’d say it’s a safe bet the personal relationship gave Lindy more rope than he had a right to. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Red flag. Now that he's finally fired Ruff, maybe Fitz can get some ice water coursing through his veins. But I doubt it. 

I know Fitz is going to continue to get ripped in many circles, and I fully get why, but I’m now to the point where I need to see what’s next…starting with the deadline.  Basically need to see the “recovery” plan as it unfolds.

• Like 3

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know Fitz is going to continue to get ripped in many circles, and I fully get why, but I’m now to the point where I need to see what’s next…starting with the deadline.  Basically need to see the “recovery” plan as it unfolds.

I agree. I don't like what he said about how tough it was to fire Ruff, I don't like how long it took to fire Ruff, and I don't like how he let this season die on the vine. But I'm OK with giving him a chance to fix it.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Crisis said:

You guys have no idea if his personal relationship affected his decision to fire Lindy lol

Just watch the first minute, that alone speaks volumes. It's a pretty safe bet to say it absolutely did. He's super dramatic and super emotional.

Personally it feels like it shows how out of touch with reality these guys really are. It's not like Lindy won't be able to support his family but you would never guess that with how Fitz acts. Hell I'm pretty sure he still gets paid for whatever his contract has left anyway and now he gets to get paid to do nothing after being a complete failure this year. Us regular people wouldn't get jack sh!t, maybe a few weeks pay or a month tops. Must be nice.

"these are real people" lol ok. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

I agree. I don't like what he said about how tough it was to fire Ruff, I don't like how long it took to fire Ruff, and I don't like how he let this season die on the vine. But I'm OK with giving him a chance to fix it.

Yeah as much as we hated certain things happening (or not happening) this season, there’s no undoing any of it.

Right now we’re basically back in Spring 2022.  Certain guys will be getting their points, the goaltending’s probably gonna be shaky, and the team will look promising here and there but maddeningly inconsistent a lot of nights.  Some nights it will be hard to take, but that’s when you remind yourself that this won’t be fixed in-season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Personally it feels like it shows how out of touch with reality these guys really are.

It’s hard to be in touch with reality when your entire working life has essentially been a vacation. Fitz played hockey his whole life, got paid well for it, and stayed in the game to become a GM. People who have never worked in the real world aren’t gonna be in touch with the average Joe. Being a pro athlete is a vacation of an existence. Not that they aren’t real people with real problems, but these are folks who have literally played or managed in a children’s game their whole lives, and gotten paid more than any of us will ever come close to making. They don’t relate to a 9-5 person. 

• Like 4

I think Fitz put a very good team together.  Let's ALL look back to beginning of this season. (112 points 52 wins last year, 1st time in years just getting to the playoffs.) Who here saw this collapse coming?  Weren't we ALL under the impression we'd pick up where we left off? Intelligent hockey talking heads ha Devils in the cup final!! We were 7-0 in preseason.  And NOW Fitz doesn't know what the f>ck he's doing? Assembled a crap team?  He may have messed up trying to land a goalie, but no one here knows what the demands were to get said goalie.  People say everyone has injuries and have to overcome. Early in the season (1st month) we had #1 PP in the NHL. Not to beat a dead horse but  imo, Fitz one of best GM's in the league.  I'm wasting my time

• Like 1

I'm coming from the same place you guys are by just making assumptions but I think there are enough smart people vying for GM jobs that having the reputation as the guy that makes decisions with his heart just isn't a luxury they can have.

What I think happened was that they had a plan in place based on the metrics and it went to sh!t with the injuries, goaltending, and eventually losing the room.  I agree that Fitz should have cut bait earlier but the owners are so heavily invested in data that I think they waited to long to make the decision.

3 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

Fitz isn't a NJ Devil or doesn't have our DNA, so that's a problem for me.

Why does that matter?  The only thing anyone should care about is whether Fitz can do his job competently and effectively.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, vincois said:

I think Fitz put a very good team together.  Let's ALL look back to beginning of this season. (112 points 52 wins last year, 1st time in years just getting to the playoffs.) Who here saw this collapse coming?  Weren't we ALL under the impression we'd pick up where we left off? Intelligent hockey talking heads ha Devils in the cup final!! We were 7-0 in preseason.  And NOW Fitz doesn't know what the f>ck he's doing? Assembled a crap team?  He may have messed up trying to land a goalie, but no one here knows what the demands were to get said goalie.  People say everyone has injuries and have to overcome. Early in the season (1st month) we had #1 PP in the NHL. Not to beat a dead horse but  imo, Fitz one of best GM's in the league.  I'm wasting my time

He may have put a good roster together but he took WAY too long to can Ruff and also didn’t use Dougie’s LTIR to get any help on defense

• Like 4