Toffoli to WPG Jets for a 2025 second-round pick and a 2024 third-round pick. Retained Half Salary

Do I think keeping Toffoli just for the hell of it under these circumstances would’ve made much sense?  Not really.

That being said, this is a D- kind of return…”well, at least he got something” is about all you can say about it.  If I’m a Jets fan I feel like my team made a hell of a rental deal, put it that way.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Do I think keeping Toffoli just for the hell of it under these circumstances would’ve made much sense?  Not really.

That being said, this is a D- kind of return…”well, at least he got something” is about all you can say about it.  If I’m a Jets fan I feel like a made a hell of a rental deal, put it that way.

Jets won the deal. Fitz bluffed, they called it. (In my Ed Harris from ‘The Rock’ voice)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Do I think keeping Toffoli just for the hell of it under these circumstances would’ve made much sense?  Not really

Disagree. I’d rather get nothing than this trash package on top of 50% retention. 

13 minutes ago, jagknife said:

You know that’s what a lot of people say about Jersey.

”why would anyone want to stay?”

I was referring more to the tax Situation than the place itself (although in this case its probably a double whammy). If I recall that ea shalf the reason everyone including Toffoli wanted out of Calgary?

Although having said that isn't the tax in Jersey pretty high as well?

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I was referring more to the tax Situation than the place itself (although in this case its probably a double whammy). If I recall that ea shalf the reason everyone including Toffoli wanted out of Calgary?

Although having said that isn't the tax in Jersey pretty high as well?

Yeah I get what you mean.

but Jets got Scheifele, Hellebuyck and Niederreiter to extend. They won the LA trade handedly.

if the rumors are true Fitz wouldn’t trade in the conference, he cut his own legs off and worked himself into a corner.

22 minutes ago, ButlerBulldog said:

We’ve learned something else about Fitz this morning.  When he’s desperate, he panics.  It’s likely the Devils and Toffoli’s camp were far apart on an extension, so rather than risk losing Tyler for nothing, he traded him—something many of us, myself included, wanted—but because he was so desperate to find a taker, he took whatever he was offered in return instead of holding out for a higher pick.

This does reek of him not sowing the seeds with potential suitors way ahead of time. This was Winnipeg telling him, take it now or we move on to another player. Fitz must have known this was the best he would get given the circumstances.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jagknife said:

if the rumors are true Fitz wouldn’t trade in the conference, he cut his own legs off and worked himself into a corner.

Like, WHY would you not trade in the conference? WHY?! We aren’t making the playoffs.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Jets won the deal. Fitz bluffed, they called it. (In my Ed Harris from ‘The Rock’ voice)

Oh they absolutely won the deal.  I’m not disputing that.  I just don’t see letting him walk at the end of the year for nothing at all when the Devils aren’t making the playoffs as a win either.

But trust me, I’m not celebrating this or anything.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Like, WHY would you not trade in the conference? WHY?! We are t making the playoffs.

Yeah if there was a better return within the conference and Fitz passed on it…no, can’t do that.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That being said, this is a D- kind of return…”well, at least he got something” is about all you can say about it.  If I’m a Jets fan I feel like my team made a hell of a rental deal, put it that way.

Yep there's literally nothing redeeming about this trade besides 'well he got something!' (and four whole hours before the deadline no less)...yeah a 2025 2nd, not even 2024.  And the 50% retained really didn't seem to add jack squat to the value.  Wouldn't shock me if Fitz says something to the effect of we wanted to send Tyler a place he wanted to go.

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Yeah I get what you mean.

but Jets got Scheifele, Hellebuyck and Niederreiter to extend. They won the LA trade handedly.

Where the hell are those rumors coming from?  I understand not wanting to trade with the Rangers or Flyers I suppose, I actually was in the minority that I liked that Lou 'rule' but who gives a flying fig about trading with Toronto or even Carolina in a season when you're cashing out on a playoff run?  It's not like he hasn't given up rentals to conference teams before - sending Greene, Palmieri and Zajac to the Island for example.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, smelly said:

The Toffoli return is market price. Look at what the other wingers have been going for. Buyers market. Fitz took the best deal available. 

Like who?

Joel Edmunson got a 3rd and 5th. Toffoli only gets a 2nd and a 3rd?? Lol.

Henrique got a 1st and 5th. I'd take Toffoli over Henrique. They're having nearly identical seasons, but Toffoli is 3 years younger. 

Those are just a few examples. 

Toffoli was a prime target this deadline. How we didn't get at least a 1st is beyond crazy. 

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 2

“Did the Devils maximize the market for Toffoli? They did pretty well here, all things considered.

They retained 50% of Toffoli's salary, and got a better return than what Seattle got back for Alex Wennberg, more than Ottawa got back for Vladimir Tarasenko, and more than the Capitals got back for Anthony Mantha, despite all of those teams retaining 50% and having already set the market.“

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/39652469/nhl-trade-deadline-2024-grades-big-deals-contracts-players

Everyone needs to chill and accept that their frustration and disappointment is just a result of their own naïveté about how things work in the real world NHL. 

They were never getting a first. NO ONE offered anything close. 

It’s a buyers market. Look at the Guentzel return - and he was generally regarded as the clear best rental winger available. Heck, Zucker went FOR A SIXTH. 

Fitz dealt with Eastern Conference — even Metro teams — equally. Any reports to the contrary are total BS. 

This was the best offer on the table. 

Get over it. 

Edited by smelly
  • Like 1

Lot of you need to go to sleep and come back clear minded. Got some of you acting like you know everyone that called Fitz and everyone he called and chose the worst offer available.  Maybe he got abfirst me a few days ago when they fee teams were overpaying, that's on him. But at this current moment that was probably the best. It is what it is. More sad that Miller and/or Smith are still here personally.

13 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Joel Edmunson got a 3rd and 5th. Toffoli only gets a 2nd and a 3rd?? Lol.

Henrique got a 1st and 5th. I'd take Toffoli over Henrique. They're having nearly identical seasons, but Toffoli is 3 years younger. 

Those are just a few examples. 

Toffoli was a prime target this deadline. How we didn't get at least a 1st is beyond crazy. 

Wingers (who aren't physical) generally get a 2 and a 3 tops...my problem is taking the 2 in 2025.  I mean really, you couldn't get a 2nd rounder this year?  I don't buy the Fitz playing 4D chess angle (taking the 2025 pick because it's supposedly going to be a better draft), taking a likely low 2025 2nd rounder is underwhelming by any metric.  If anything I'm worried he'll say something like we respect Tyler and worked with him to send him somewhere he wanted to go, he's already shown he let feelings get in the way at times.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Muevelos said:

Lot of you need to go to sleep and come back clear minded. Got some of you acting like you know everyone that called Fitz and everyone he called and chose the worst offer available.  Maybe he got abfirst me a few days ago when they fee teams were overpaying, that's on him. But at this current moment that was probably the best. It is what it is. More sad that Miller and/or Smith are still here personally.

Why Miller?  He’s generally been solid.

Edited by ButlerBulldog
  • Like 1

I almost don't even care if Miller and Smith are here past the deadline, a likely 4th-5th round pick doesn't move the needle much and they kind of have to keep/bring in SOMEone to take minutes, they aren't literally going to play the Utica defensive core the last twenty games.  Maybe trade one and keep the other, or trade them both and take someone's cap dump to fill the void till the end of the season.

Edited by NJDevs4978

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I almost don't even care if Miller and Smith are here past the deadline, a likely 4th-5th round pick doesn't move the needle much and they kind of have to keep/bring in SOMEone to take minutes, they aren't literally going to play the Utica defensive core the last twenty games.  Maybe trade one and keep the other, or trade them both and take someone's cap dump to fill the void till the end of the season.

If Smith is moved, I hope Hatakka returns and finishes the season with the Devils.

• Like 1