Draft Lottery Thread

Weekes Head

My point through all of this was that not only was THIS draft lottery was set up in a stupid way, but that certain teams that would otherwise have been rewarded for the draft got majorly screwed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:doh1:

:argh: I can't even take it. Grow up! NO ONE DESERVED to win here. NO ONE EARNED Crosby except whoever got the stupid lottery pick. GET OVER IT! Dont even BITCH about the system because the only way to have a FAIR draft then is to play a season and leave the kid to rott.

:argh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SEASON WE SHOULD BASE IT ON PREVIOUS SEASONS YES OR NO?

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I didn't miss much. Well, I am not going to curse. What's the point?

It has become painfully obvious that the people running the game have no clue what they're doing. And this has nothing to do with Sidney Crosby winding up in Pittsburgh. To be honest, I'm glad he wound up there cause that will give the conspiracy theorists something else to cry about. Fact is Pittsburgh was one of four teams with the best chance at landing the kid. So, the fact that it didn't somehow go to Anaheim was a saving grace. If it had, you may as well have renamed the NHL the MML (Mickey Mouse League).

It's amazing that this great weighted lottery system could somehow put Buffalo out of the top 10, the Rangers 16th behind the Islanders. Columbus was in the top five. Somehow, the Canadiens are in the top six. But here is where I am completely lost. How the hell are the Ottawa Senators in the top 10? Even Vancouver at nine is a joke. But for our Canadian poster who is a diehard fan, go ahead and defend where those teams wound up as opposed to the Edmonton Oilers. Try to explain why a team like Edmonton isn't in the top 10 while successful franchises from your country are. There's just no logic.

I'm not upset about not getting Crosby. I NEVER felt the Rangers would win because they have the worst luck. And once I saw the joke of the system (3 balls to 2 and 1 oh wow), I knew they would get screwed. But somehow, even when they changed to a live drawing, you still had the conspiracy theorists out there whining like little girls that if the Rangers wound up with him, it was fixed. They somehow were linked with Detroit. Nevermind the fact one team had missed the playoffs seven straight years and had 2 more chances compared to an elite team who had been an NHL powerhouse for the past decade. But somehow, the Devils weren't included. Neither was the Avalanche. Neither were the Senators. Neither was the Flyers. The Leafs were included by a few posters. Now, correct me if I'm wrong. But if Crosby had wound up on one of these NHL successful franchises, how can the league call that fair? That would have been more of a FIX!

You know what I was hoping for. Just to see the Rangers in the top five. Then, I wouldn't have had any issue with the process. The four worst teams all should have been more protected so that they didn't drop down that far. That's now what the geniuses in New York and Toronto decided.

I'll add one thought regarding the Pens landing Crosby. Despite having a new CBA which should be more management friendly, that franchise was not guaranteed of staying in Pittsburgh. By landing the wiz kid, at least they now have a chance to survive. But if that city doesn't build a new arena for their team like they did with the Pirates and Steelers, then they don't deserve to have a team.

And if you looked a little closer at the Pens roster, they are so far underneath the cap that they will be able to sign guys in August. You add a Crosby to a Malkin and a nice vet core like Lemieux and Recchi and then throw in a Kovalev, Straka or dare I say Niedermayer, all of a sudden, this once down franchise will shoot right back up and be a power for years. That's the position their now in. Great for them and for Penguin supporters. They really needed it.

As far as the NHL rules, I know just from some that were passed that many fans here will be pissed off and for good reason. I'm not going to get into some of the dumb rules the league has decided to pass that will turn the sport into more of a mockery. You are big fans of the best goalie in the game and I can only imagine what's been said regarding that new rule. Well, my team drafted a goalie just like him over a year ago. So, that rule stinks big time. And it would for any team who has a netminder with those kind of skills.

Bottom line with the new rules is the league DOES NOT CARE about us. They screwed us royally. They basically turned their back on the loyal NHL fans. They never cared about sanity. Tradition didn't have much say. As long as they could have some new gimmicks and gadgets, they could be just like any other sport. Which is why the people running the league have zero clue about what made this sport so special.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't know if I ever will feel the same about the sport. I spoke to an Oilers fan today. Diehard. When I mentioned the settlement and the lottery, they didn't care as much. Said it was a bad deal. Imagine that. Said they didn't miss the sport as much. This is about as diehard a fan as I know. To hear the lack of passion in their voice today while I was on break was disheartening. But it also was a harsh reality about what a year away has done.

So, the game will comeback on October 5th and they'll try to push their "new improved product." It won't ever be the same again.

Who knows what teams will suck or not suck this season? With the salary cap a lot of perenial sucks will have cap room to aquire a lot of cheap talent, should some of those teams also have been guarenteed great draft picks? Seems a lot of top teams were already penalized with the cap and have to give up players, and then people want to give them poor draft position twice based on one season? please.

NO YOU aren't getting it -- why do you think teams deserve special treatment? Because they SUCK? Because you want to level the playign feild? That's sh!t and poor sportsmanship and a loser mentality! I have ZERO patience for it.

I've changed my mind. LOTCB has made me see the light. However, I think that the lottery should have been ranked, not on where they finished two years ago, but rather on a larger scheme of things. I think it should have been ranked by when they last won the Stanley Cup. Team that joined since expansion but have yet to win a cup would be started at the year that they joined the league. That way longest suffering team would be granted Crosby to help end their drought. I think that only fair.

My point through all of this was that not only was THIS draft lottery was set up in a stupid way, but that certain teams that would otherwise have been rewarded for the draft got majorly screwed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:argh: I can't even take it. Grow up! NO ONE DESERVED to win here. NO ONE EARNED Crosby except whoever got the stupid lottery pick. GET OVER IT! Dont even BITCH about the system because the only way to have a FAIR draft then is to play a season and leave the kid to rott.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NOOOOO!

ENNN OHHHH

NO

NO NO NO NO

DO YOU GET IT NOW?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THEY DID AND THE sh!tTY TEAMS HAD A BETTER CHANCE IN A LOTTERY AND THEY DIDNT GET A HIGHER PICK TOUGH sh!t

You base it off of the fact that there was NO SEASON whatsoever! Forget about 2004, it's DONE now! Had there been a season, who knows what would have happened...maybe the Bruins win the Cup, maybe the Devils miss the playoffs. Maybe the Rangers do well enough to just miss the playoffs (but don't finish poorly in the standings). Maybe NONE of that happens and in reality the Avs win the Cup, the Rangers suck awfully, and the Bruins choke again. Point is though, you don't know what could have happened so you have to give EVERY team a shot! And where does the previous seasons factor in -- where certain teams get a slightly better shot than the rest. What more do you want?! Sidney handed to you on a silver platter?! COME ON!

Does everyone forget it's a snake draft? And that there is more than one round to an NHL draft? Everyone crying about who finished where in the lottery selection forgets: It's JUST A DRAFT, YOU'RE NOT GUARANTEED ANYTHING. Top 5 picks are much more likely to become NHL players, and to become superstars, but THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES.

You base it off of the fact that there was NO SEASON whatsoever! Forget about 2004, it's DONE now! Had there been a season, who knows what would have happened...maybe the Bruins win the Cup, maybe the Devils miss the playoffs. Maybe the Rangers do well enough to just miss the playoffs (but don't finish poorly in the standings). Maybe NONE of that happens and in reality the Avs win the Cup, the Rangers suck awfully, and the Bruins choke again. Point is though, you don't know what could have happened so you have to give EVERY team a shot! And where does the previous seasons factor in -- where certain teams get a slightly better shot than the rest. What more do you want?! Sidney handed to you on a silver platter?! COME ON!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EXACTLY!!!

one last thing....i never wanted the bruins to get crosby. It would have been nice, but i never cared for him much.

Of the 4 main teams i truely am a fan of, bruins, panthers, thrashers, and preds. I didn't care if any of them got crosby. (i follow the flyers, canucks, and some other teams really closely but i'm not really a fan)

I was never angry about not getting crosby.

one last thing....i never wanted the bruins to get crosby. It would have been nice, but i never cared for him much.

Of the 4 main teams i truely am a fan of, bruins, panthers, thrashers, and preds. I didn't care if any of them got crosby. (i follow the flyers, canucks, and some other teams really closely but i'm not really a fan)

I was never angry about not getting crosby.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Plus you know it makes a lot of sense being a fan of 4 teams, especially 2 that play in the same division.

Edited by Satans Child

Bottom line with the new rules is the league DOES NOT CARE about us. They screwed us royally. They basically turned their back on the loyal NHL fans. They never cared about sanity. Tradition didn't have much say. As long as they could have some new gimmicks and gadgets, they could be just like any other sport. Which is why the people running the league have zero clue about what made this sport so special.

Yer gone too. Look. It's f'n simple. If you hate the NHL WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ON A BOARD DEDICATED TO AN NHL TEAM?!?!? GO WATCH BASEBALL, OR FOOTBALL, OR TENNIS.... WHY COME HERE TO SPIT ON THE SPORT AS MUCH AS 7 EVER DID?

As for that Oilers fan, maybe he can explain why Calgary is about to set the record for most season tickets sold?

As for why Calgary picks so low and Ottawa picks so high, maybe, just maybe it's because of what 100 people have said already and you have trouble getting through that thick skull of yours is because THIS IS A LOTTERY (ONE THAT ALL TEAMS AGREED TO) BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SEASON TO BASE THE RANKINGS ON!!!!

Edited by Don

Bettman was right. He basically said a lot of people weren't going to be happy about the lottery either way... that it wasn't even enough, or that it wasn't biased enough towards weaker teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa, hold on a second. This is a HOCKEY message board. Bettman can't ever be right about anything ever.

Bettman was right. He basically said a lot of people weren't going to be happy about the lottery either way... that it wasn't even enough, or that it wasn't biased enough towards weaker teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa, hold on a second. This is a HOCKEY message board. Bettman can't ever be right about anything ever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

Derek...you are correct...by time current and future rules changes get employed, no one will have a clue what the sport really was...I sure miss hockey of the 60's and 70's...it had sportsmanship and the rules were sacred...some of the rule changes are gimmicks, like 4 on 4 OT or give team that goes to OT a point and then say nope, no good...let's go back to win or lose...whatever happened to ties...this crap of win or lose is just ridiculous.

Do not believe that if you don't care much for the constant changes translates to you hate the game...there are a lot of people that aren't happy...some are happy as a pigs in poop if it brings the game back...feeling as you do just means you lean more to the thinking of a purist and that is not a bad thing :D

Looks like I didn't miss much. Well, I am not going to curse. What's the point?

It has become painfully obvious that the people running the game have no clue what they're doing. And this has nothing to do with Sidney Crosby winding up in Pittsburgh. To be honest, I'm glad he wound up there cause that will give the conspiracy theorists something else to cry about. Fact is Pittsburgh was one of four teams with the best chance at landing the kid. So, the fact that it didn't somehow go to Anaheim was a saving grace. If it had, you may as well have renamed the NHL the MML (Mickey Mouse League).

It's amazing that this great weighted lottery system could somehow put Buffalo out of the top 10, the Rangers 16th behind the Islanders. Columbus was in the top five. Somehow, the Canadiens are in the top six. But here is where I am completely lost. How the hell are the Ottawa Senators in the top 10? Even Vancouver at nine is a joke. But for our Canadian poster who is a diehard fan, go ahead and defend where those teams wound up as opposed to the Edmonton Oilers. Try to explain why a team like Edmonton isn't in the top 10 while successful franchises from your country are. There's just no logic.

I'm not upset about not getting Crosby. I NEVER felt the Rangers would win because they have the worst luck. And once I saw the joke of the system (3 balls to 2 and 1 oh wow), I knew they would get screwed. But somehow, even when they changed to a live drawing, you still had the conspiracy theorists out there whining like little girls that if the Rangers wound up with him, it was fixed. They somehow were linked with Detroit. Nevermind the fact one team had missed the playoffs seven straight years and had 2 more chances compared to an elite team who had been an NHL powerhouse for the past decade. But somehow, the Devils weren't included. Neither was the Avalanche. Neither were the Senators. Neither was the Flyers. The Leafs were included by a few posters. Now, correct me if I'm wrong. But if Crosby had wound up on one of these NHL successful franchises, how can the league call that fair? That would have been more of a FIX!

You know what I was hoping for. Just to see the Rangers in the top five. Then, I wouldn't have had any issue with the process. The four worst teams all should have been more protected so that they didn't drop down that far. That's now what the geniuses in New York and Toronto decided.

I'll add one thought regarding the Pens landing Crosby. Despite having a new CBA which should be more management friendly, that franchise was not guaranteed of staying in Pittsburgh. By landing the wiz kid, at least they now have a chance to survive. But if that city doesn't build a new arena for their team like they did with the Pirates and Steelers, then they don't deserve to have a team.

And if you looked a little closer at the Pens roster, they are so far underneath the cap that they will be able to sign guys in August. You add a Crosby to a Malkin and a nice vet core like Lemieux and Recchi and then throw in a Kovalev, Straka or dare I say Niedermayer, all of a sudden, this once down franchise will shoot right back up and be a power for years. That's the position their now in. Great for them and for Penguin supporters. They really needed it.

As far as the NHL rules, I know just from some that were passed that many fans here will be pissed off and for good reason. I'm not going to get into some of the dumb rules the league has decided to pass that will turn the sport into more of a mockery. You are big fans of the best goalie in the game and I can only imagine what's been said regarding that new rule. Well, my team drafted a goalie just like him over a year ago. So, that rule stinks big time. And it would for any team who has a netminder with those kind of skills.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't know if I ever will feel the same about the sport. I spoke to an Oilers fan today. Diehard. When I mentioned the settlement and the lottery, they didn't care as much. Said it was a bad deal. Imagine that. Said they didn't miss the sport as much. This is about as diehard a fan as I know. To hear the lack of passion in their voice today while I was on break was disheartening. But it also was a harsh reality about what a year away has done.

So, the game will comeback on October 5th and they'll try to push their "new improved product." It won't ever be the same again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good post derek, try to ignore Don and his constant personal attacks

perhaps they could've weighted it more in favor of teams that didn't make the playoffs over the past few years, or guaranteed them spots in the top 15 at least, but that way there was as good a chance he'd waste his career in Nashville or Atlanta as coming to the Rangers. This system gave the Rangers a better shot, but still kept teams like the Avalanch, Wings, and Leafs still in it.

agree on the league spitting on its true fans. I won't come back as a paying customer for some time, mainly because the price/entertainment value doesn't add up, and the sport needs to be punished for the lockout. The NHL is now trying to tell its fans what we like. Shootouts, no goalie puckhandling, no touch icing, they're trying to do all the thinking for us!

If the bruins would have really played the way they are capable of each of the past 3 season in the playoffs we should have won at least won cup. But we didn't we choked every year.

:rofl:

The Bruins were capable of winning the Cup within the last three years? That's it, I'm convinced chocolate isn't the only thing wafting through the air in Hershey today. :wacko:

blah, nobody is getting it outside of LOTCB. this is frustrating.

No, nobody agrees with you outside of LOTCB (and Derek, it looks like). Big difference.

I've changed my mind. LOTCB has made me see the light. However, I think that the lottery should have been ranked, not on where they finished two years ago, but rather on a larger scheme of things. I think it should have been ranked by when they last won the Stanley Cup. Team that joined since expansion but have yet to win a cup would be started at the year that they joined the league. That way longest suffering team would be granted Crosby to help end their drought. I think that only fair.

Ein minuten bitte...

You bastard! :puke::evil:

Yer gone too. Look. It's f'n simple. If you hate the NHL WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ON A BOARD DEDICATED TO AN NHL TEAM?!?!? GO WATCH BASEBALL, OR FOOTBALL, OR TENNIS.... WHY COME HERE TO SPIT ON THE SPORT AS MUCH AS 7 EVER DID?

Chill out, Don, you're getting a bit too extreme here. You have to like every single thing Bettman's trotted out this week or else you hate hockey? You think that since the NHL's back, it's all gravy? Come on, you know better than that. If this was any other year, you'd probably be bashing at least one of the rule changes as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.