GAME THREAD: Devils @ NYR 7pm

Weekes Head

Just got back from the Garden and the chaos that surrounded it with the whole transit mess and it was just GREAT shutting that place up so fast. I'm sure it's been said for the last 10 or so pages but if we had any semblance of a power play, we win this game 6-1 and would be a lot closer to first in the standings. This was classic Devils hockey, BORING and I loved it. The Rangers didn't do anything. I don't know where their shots came from, unless their scorekeeper was giving them 2 for every 1 they took. Jagr was invisible (finally), obviously because he doesn't kill penalties, and when he was out there, that awful feeling I got all year didn't come over me. It will be really interesting if we get hot, what does Lou do? Does he risk throwing the team off by bringing someone else in, or will he be gone before there's even a chance of that happening? I've rambled enough I think. It's so much less stressful without Malakhovitup out there.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We beat the Rag$.

God, I feel so much better about life.

Congrats to Lou -- undefeated as a regular-season coach...

<JESTER>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!! Just got in from work, but when I checked my phone and saw the final, I almost danced a jig!!!!!!!! Watching the replay now. My mom said basically all I had to do was watch the last 5 minutes because we just stunned the place, and scored all 3 goals in quick succession. Going back to read some of the thread now!!!! :boogie::dance::clap:

When the final buzzer sounded after a much-needed win for the New Jersey Devils, Martin Brodeur brought the final puck over to boss Lou Lamoriello.

The general manager-turned interim coach was perfectly pleased by his first NHL win behind the bench. The souvenir was just a bonus.

"I was happy to give it to him," Brodeur said after making 30 saves in a 3-1 victory over the New York Rangers on Tuesday night. "I said 'I don't know if you want to put that one in your office. It has a Rangers emblem on it."'

:rofl: Woo Marty!

www.sportsline.com/nhl/gamecenter/recap/NHL_20051220_NJ@NYR

When the final buzzer sounded after a much-needed win for the New Jersey Devils, Martin Brodeur brought the final puck over to boss Lou Lamoriello.

The general manager-turned interim coach was perfectly pleased by his first NHL win behind the bench. The souvenir was just a bonus.

"I was happy to give it to him," Brodeur said after making 30 saves in a 3-1 victory over the New York Rangers on Tuesday night. "I said 'I don't know if you want to put that one in your office. It has a Rangers emblem on it."'

:rofl:  Woo Marty!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol::D

Classic Devils hockey tonight. They waited, and waited, and waited for chances. Once they didn't get any, they turned it up, sent a defensemen down low at the right times, and finally got the goal. Then they finally got a GOOD BOUNCE! That was great to see. It was funny when that Almo goal happened cause to the left of me (halfway across the Garden) this one Devs fan was getting a lot of attention from the Ranger fans and then Almo scored that goal and I looked over at him again and he was going NUTS! It was hysterical. It was the perfect time for a goal.

It was a fairly dead crowd tonight. I think it mostly had to do with the way both teams were playing. Patient hockey and pounce on turnovers and other mistakes. Rangers pounced first with Brown not properly defending the original shot on Marty and then Marty not able to control the rebound (I think he was surprised by the shot, that shot should never have happened if Brown played his man right, he forced the Ranger to the outside which was nice but then let up on him and gave him an open lane to shoot instead of riding him to the boards or forcing him to the corner).

Worst part about the game was the refs, by far. Boy can they take the fun out of hockey. When the Devs had the 5 on 3 in the 3rd, Gomez was legitimately cross checked twice from behind (that's not my bias talking, I would have said the same if Gomez was Jagr) and then Gomez gets called for a malarky hooking call. All game they were missing real penalties and calling imaginary ones. The absolute worst part of the new NHL is the fakeness of penalties. I'd say it's much more aggravating to the fans that so many fake penalties are being called than enjoying to the fans. Poll the fans and I'd say 80%+ rather see physical contact and flat out skating than penalties every 1 or 2 minutes for nudging the player next to you.

Ah it's so good to be able to watch hockey game.

On NHL Network they said we're like 3 for 70 on the pp in soo many games...that can't be right can it? That's horrible!! I really hope i heard wrong..anyway..still totally happy for the win...who cares how we did it..

Well it's waaay too early to think this game can be a turnaround, especially with all the false starts this team's had this year and I was as disgusted as anyone after 50+ minutes. After the comeback, I did think of the Florida game at the end of 2000 walking around the arena, hopefully this game has something close to that kind of spark, we'll see tomorrow what kind of long-term effect (if any) coming back the way they did has.

One thing I might dispute in the game thread, people said the Devils played typical Devil D well yeah inasmuch as they held Jagr in check, but they WERE on the PP for like 25 minutes, that had a little something to do with it too :lol: Marty kept the team in the game until finally our two best scorers came through and won it in the end.

I may be REALLY down on Gomer right now but one guy I truly never, ever want to see play is Langdon. The guy's useless, he's had about ten times as many penalties as he has fights this year :rolleyes: I don't get why Langdon AND Janssen had to play, to me it's overkill to have both of them play. Just play Janssen and dump Langdon, get some new blood in there even if it's just the twelvth forward.

It was nice to see Parise a little more tonight. Also had a bird's eye view of Tommy Albelin getting interviewed in the second intermission (I sat basically at center ice in the last tier, three rows behind the press area), though I couldn't hear any of what was said :P

Edited by Hasan4978

I'm sure this thread is full of haters - I never read these things.

I'm sure people are unhappy with the power play.  From that basic framework the Devils will be successful.  What's not being examined is that the Devils kept the pressure on almost the whole time they had those power plays.  They did not get enough shots, mostly because they did not move around enough.  But Lou's running the team with basic strategies.  This wasn't the lackluster group incapable of gaining or holding the zone - and that's one step closer to success.

From the beginning I didn't doubt the Devils would win this game.  It was coached just like a Lou Lamiriello team - boring as hell.  In the third period I began to lose faith - the Devils hadn't gotten a good bounce all night, and the Rangers had, and I couldn't imagine that being the difference.

This team we saw tonight can go to the playoffs with a healthy Patrik Elias.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with ya. I felt good about the win.

i actually thought we were outplaying the Rangers the whole game.. I wasnt around to read this thread till now, but see most people disagree. Obviously I wasnt impressed by our power play numbers.. but I still thought we were getting some decent shots off.

:rofl:  Woo Marty!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha

cute

the crowd was decent. i didnt think they were quite dead... but in my section i was told a bunch of times to "go back to jersey" my girlfriend got screamed at while we were celebrating a goal... some guy said "sit down you still fvcking suck c0ck" i got so pissed at that.... there were a few fights by me... the funniest thing about tonight was with about 6 min to go in the third a gigantic devils suck chant broke out... then, the devils scored three goals. ranger fans shut the hell up then. in penn station there were people chanting lets go devils. and there was a fight on the train back to jersey becuase of the game. so it was eventful.

i wanted to kill that guy who yelled at my girlfriend tho... she did a fine job by turning around and saying "hey whats the score anyway a$$hole? and by the way... those banners up there are getting pretty dusty... we have nice new ones at our place"

Well, congratulations. :puke::puke::puke:

The Rangers did their best to give the Devils an early Christmas present. Sadly, I predicted the final score.

NJay, please don't complain about the refs. One missed call on Gomez. What about the missed one on White near the end? Not that it would have mattered. I thought the refs did a good job overall. How many 5-on-3's do the Devils need anyway before you get sick?

I don't know which power play is worse. Both teams should have just done the crowd a favor and declined.

Penalties! Penalties! and Penalties! It will kill ya. Until the Rangers figure out this aspect (Paging Michael Nylander and Martin Rucinsky), they will continue to swoon.

I heard Don LaGreca call them a lock for the playoffs. On what damn planet? :rant:

All I want is to just once see this damn team make the playoffs. That's right. The goal is that now! To hell with all the garbage predictions. They were good enough to win 20 out of their first 32 before this little tailspin.

The bar has been raised. Anything less than 50 points (that's what I think it will take) in the final 47 games and they'll be golfing.

My feeling is that if you reach 94 points, you're making it. So that leaves a lot of work cut out for them along with the other trailing teams.

I'm not advocating some silly trade for a waste of space (Sykora) suggested by some bozo writer who probably has enjoyed the last three losses. I feel the Rangers only need to make two minor additions:

1.PP QB-It's become awful to watch. I suggest either Thomas Pock, who's been tearing up Hartford and deserves a chance. Or trade for Jiri Slegr. It would cost virtually nothing. And Slegr has a good shot that gets through. Plus he's Czech.

2.Gritty forward- the answer is in Hartford. His name is Nigel Dawes. He's got 11 goals and 10 assists and has been playing solid hockey. He plays bigger than his size. He's the spark plug I'd like to see replace the invisible man Marcel Hossa.

Final comments: Some idiot Ranger fans started chanting, "Devils suck" with under 10 minutes left. I yelled, "Shut up" in response cause I knew what would happen. These morons who did that shouldn't be allowed to attend another game. What exactly has my team accomplished to make those chants? Idiots. Sure enough, the Devils get two goals (one after our line which cycled hard was dead tired). The other just a fluke play which Mogilny fired into an open net. Not much you can do there. But to all the stupid fans who chanted that, they got what they deserved as did the Rangers. As lazy a performance as I've ever seen.

To the MTA who made it impossible for fans to get to this game: BA HUMBUG! :angry::angry::angry:

Why in the fvck was Suggy went down!? He scores the first PP goal in like 35 attempts, and they re-assign him...Recall Suglobov and send down Langdon!!! Janssen should stay, IMO, since he is far more effective than Langdon and actually creates a chance here and there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed

Suggy played great

Regarding the crowd, what the hell was there to get excited about in the first? That was one of the most boring periods of hockey I've ever seen. It should have been banned. That's how gross it was.

The 2nd was a little better.

I thought the fans were pretty good during those penalty kills. Considering how undisciplined the penalties were, they (us too) were on their feet cheering the great effort from the Ortmeyers, Moores, Betts, Wards, Maliks, Rozsivals, etc. Chanting too. The fans wanted a win. Instead, they got a sad reminder of just how quickly things can fall apart.

Some Devil comments:

Lamoriello looks weird behind the bench. He looked out of place.

Looks like they stole my suggestions. I said pair White with Rafalski and wouldn't you know it, they did. When they announced that before the game, I was like, 'Damn it. I got a bad feeling about this.'

Look how much better that pair was too. They neutralized Jagr when he was actually out there.

Apparently, they had a brain and gave Parise actual linemates. He btw was one of their best forwards outside Madden, Gionta, Pandolfo.

Thought it was funny how McGillis took his old number back. What's that supposed to prove?

Oh yeah. Madden played possessed. That's your captain.

Forgot one: Brodeur was fighting the puck all night. If the Rangers had actually decided to play the third, they'd have won.

Edited by Derek21

For all the people that were just "Sick" of this "horrible" team that was outplaying the Rangers even though they weren't winning I hope you were still miserable when the team won. I think its a joke that a "fan" can just sit and bitch about how everything about this team sucks when down 1 goal but wants to join in celebrating the win. Would it have been too much to ask to wait a whole period to see what the Devils would do? Obviously for some it was.

NJay, please don't complain about the refs. One missed call on Gomez. What about the missed one on White near the end? Not that it would have mattered. I thought the refs did a good job overall. How many 5-on-3's do the Devils need anyway before you get sick?

Yup then about 15 seconds after that, a Ranger cross checked White in the back of the head and drove him head first into the boards and no call. White should have been called for a penalty and so should have that Ranger. The refs sucked, I'm complaining about it, and it wasn't one missed called on Gomez, it was the entire game. They took a lot of fun out of last nights game. They were beyond pathetic.