Is the Season a Success?

msweet

How would you measure the season so far?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. This season is now a

• Complete Success
    • A Partial Success
    • Only how far we go will tell
    • A failure unless we win the Cup

I say the season is a complete success no matter what happens.

Brodeur has proved he is the best, Elias, Gionta and Gomer have become stars and we won the division by winning 11 in a row... no less passing the Rangers.

Then we sweep the Rangers in the playoffs.

This season was full of bad news and problems...Loose Stevens, Nieds and Burns...Loose Elias.... Loose Larry Robinson.

Lou takes over, Elias comes back...And look at where we are now?!

I'll take this even if we loose the next round. A fantastic year considering all of the evnets!

Congratulations Devils!

15 in a row.... unbelievable.

Edited by msweet

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its great that they won this series and next year when the Rangers come to the Meadowlands it will be nice that their fans will have nothing to say. However, with the roll that this team is on I think they can do some great things over the next month or two. Today I am thrilled but I will not be satisfied if we just get smoked the next round.

This season is an unqualified success. There was the growing opinion around here that the Devils were going to have to significantly re-tool - this means trading Gomez, trying to develop younger players, and it was very unclear what kind of team this would be in 2 seasons.

Not only has Patrik Elias returned, he is an utterly dominant player - a top 10 forward in the league, as sundstrom contended during the lockout. Gomez is ekeing into the top 30 as is Gionta - and they've been surrounded by players who don't make them look bad.

The sky's the limit for these guys, but who knows. We'll face a much tougher opponent in the 2nd round.

This was like an exhibition series for the playoffs. The playoffs start NOW.

exactly right, the Rangers never resembled anything close to a playoff teams, granted some of it was because of injuries but the Devils will head into the 2nd round a very fresh team.

exactly right, the Rangers never resembled anything close to a playoff teams, granted some of it was because of injuries but the Devils will head into the 2nd round a very fresh team.

I disagree... we got some luck, excellent goaltending, timely scoring and gritty play... made it not seem so close. The Rangers are a playoof team. No taking that away from the Devils or the Rangers.

Year in and year out the goal of the New Jersey Devils has been to win the Stanley Cup. Anything short is failure.

This team showed a lot of heart during this season and I am happy, but if they don't win the Cup, I won't feel satisfied and I doubt they would either.

With that said, Go Devils! Win the Cup!

Time to get greedy. We struggled early but we were a much better team than the one we saw in 2005.

Winning 15 games in a row and losing in the next round would not be a success at all.

The Rangers beat the Devils in 7 in 1994 but the key was winning the Stanley Cup. Winning the Atlantic and sweeping the Rangers would mean a lot more if we did it on route to winning the Cup.

So does "loose" instead of "lose" in the first post.

Anyway, I can't think of a better way to end the season/begin the playoffs. It was like we played dead just so we could tear the rug out from under the Rangers. We took everything that was important to them: the Division title, the playoffs, Jagr, and their dignity. Well, maybe they still have some dignity.

But that's only a partial success. Getting our defense on track and Elias back and Parise producing....that's all great. Now we need a date with Lord Stanley, and our victory shall be complete.

GO DEVILS! :evil:

Edited by Cowutopia

Based on what expectations are for the Devils, the season isn't a success unless they do some damage. They proved they are a legit Cup contender. I don't see any team in the East that's played better hockey.

You guys should want to see them bring home a fourth Cup. They're capable.

The Rangers weren't ready for primetime.

Considering we lost our Captain (one of the greatest defensemen ever to play the game) along with our second best defensemen (and Norris trophy winner) and people penciled us in around 10th in our conference.

I think Lou did a great job in finding the missing pieces and putting together a pretty damn good team.

Wow... from where the season start to this. I had the Devils pegged to finish 6th or 7th and have some fun in the playoffs in the first round. I still can't believe the Devils managed to clinch the Division and throttled the Rangers in round 1.

I don't want to think its okay for the Devils to just tank it over in the 2nd round and be done, but I'm very excited about next year. Elias will hopefully resign and I would really like to see how he racks up points next year if the rules still stay the same. Nearly all of our best players are in their prime or still rather young and so long as Brodeur is the goaltender we have a chance every year. The Devils could be a very good team in two years, maybe this year could be signaling of the beginning of that.

I'd like to give most of the credit of this year to Lou. Whatever it is the came over him last summer to do the most un-Lou like things ever, he more then made up for it during the season.

I also want to acknowledge that while it was funny to enjoy watching the circus that was the NY Rangers over the last eight years, a return of the rivalry is healthy for the area and I welcome it. The Flyers, Maple Leafs, etc. were never on par for the rivalry that existed during the 90s.

Edited by E-Devil

Not only has Patrik Elias returned, he is an utterly dominant player - a top 10 forward in the league, as sundstrom contended during the lockout.

i got a lot of sh!t for that call. i had people telling me he wasn't top 20. to be fair, i actually put him in the top 5-7 with only Jagr, Iginla, being head and shoulders better. people were giving me kovalchuk, hossa, heatley, sundin, lecavaillier, etc. sorry, patty's better than those guys when you add it all up.

The Devils could be a very good team in two years,

the devils are a very good team right now. the only reason this team wasn't competing for the #1 seed was elias missing the first half. if he were there, even the terrible trio of M, M, and M would not have been so bad.

My expectations from the start of the seasion: Bringing back Mogilny, who sounded highly motivated and glad to be back, experienced guys on the blue line, but losing Stevens was going to be very tough. Expectations: 3rd in the conference, do a bit of damage in the playoffs.

One month in and it is apparent that our best D-man is Sean Brown. My expectations fall.

Two months in and it is apparent that Mogilny is only here to grab some easy money and figures Lou is a sucker. Expectations fall.

Three months in and Larry is feeling about as well as I do about the team, and he buggers off. Expectations fall. I now fully expect to miss the playoffs.

Elias comes back. We go on a winning streak. Expectations rise.

Elias has his rib injury and is struggling. The whole top line is struggling. We get only 5 wins in 14 games. Expectations fall.

Elias moved to 2nd line and Zach promoted. We go on a winning streak that has yet to end. Expectations rise. Sky is the limit.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

So, is the season a success? I guess we accomplished what I was expecting at the beginning of the season. But, damn, did we ever take the strangest roller-coaster ride to get there!!!! :blink:

So does "loose" isntead of "lose" in the first post.

Anyway, I can't think of a better way to end the season/begin the playoffs. It was like we played dead just so we could tear the rug out from under the Rangers. We took everything that was important to them: the Division title, the playoffs, Jagr, and they're dignity. Well, maybe they still have some dignity.

And so does "they're" instead of "their" (and "isntead" for "instead," for that matter). :giggle:

I voted for "a partial success," simply because the season has been such a rollercoaster ride and looked like such a lost cause at times. But overall, at this point, I'll still be disappointed if they don't take the East, if not win the cup. I think the team right now is good enough to easily compete with any of the teams in the East and come out on top - even Ottawa.

Edited by Undersold

I'm very happy with what they accomplished so far. The term success is a relative term. If success=cup they haven't got it. If success= Division title and winning round one of the playoffs, then they were sucessful.

As I said, I'm happy with what they accomplished so far, and I hope they accomplish much more. B )

I kinda feel like Don does... this thing's been so up and down I kept saying in Game 1 how AMAZED I was that this is the same team we saw in Oct/Nov for the most.... but it's like we're HOT now.. not to compare but they could make a run like the Steelers did in football.. and who knows ??

Lord knows there were enough years they were supposed to stir the sh!t and feel flat in a round or two... I like it better this way... the sky could be the limit but I think the effort in the next round will gauge our season

yeah it's nice we opened a can o'whoop ass on the Rangers... but all that means is a trip to the second round...

we ain't home yet folks!

What prognosticators Manta? Man. With what the Devils spent last summer and what they had already they should have been where they are. And when your GM makes the moves he did, it's not to win one round.

I think to answer this question you cannot just vote with no explanation. I voted for a complete success, but I must clarify. I am a Devils fan through and through, so for them to win the Division, make the playoffs, and win a round (especially against the hated Rags) Yes it is a complete success to me. But the truth be told the obvious goal of any team is to win the championship, and the goal of that teams fans is the same. NOw that being said, I dont think there were too many around here that thought at the beginning of the season that the Devils were "true" cup contenders as they stood. Then with all the mid season turmoil and hovering around the 8th seed, agian nobody gave this team much of a chance to advance past the first round let alone win a cup. But here comes the tricky part. NOw that this team has obviously gelled and at the right time, they all of a sudden become a scary team that can compete with anybody in the East or NHL for that matter. So all that being said I still say we have had a very successful season, but every round from this point forward that we advance is an Added bonus that will be looked at as a great acomplishment for this team!! :clap:

I will say that beating the Flyers will go along way to add to this teams marks for a successful season as well!

Edited by PaDevsFan