Ozolinsh Arrested for DUI - BA % 2x Legal limit

SueNJ97

This is not good news. I hope he gets into rehab again ASAP.

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...PDATE/605030414

Rangers defenseman accused of drunken driving in White Plains

By RICHARD LIEBSON

rliebson@lohud.com

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: May 3, 2006)

WHITE PLAINS

This is sad man. The guy has to get his sh!t together off the ice. On a related, much less serious note- the guy makes a 6-figure salary and he's driving a Nissan? :noclue:

The Nissan Altima was my first thought too, geez, he needs help. Not saying the Altima is a bad car, but out of all the cars in the WORLD he chooses that one? :doh1:

Would you spend a bunch of money on your car if you were going to drive around with a BAC 2x the legal limit?

So this is pre-meditated drunk-driving? Maybe he should have planned to not buy the car and call a taxi, not like he is hard-up for cash.

I doubt he fell off the wagon due to his crappy play in the series. Truth be known, he's probably been off the wagon for a while; thus helping to explain his crappy play.

He took quite a beating from the media over his play and NY is a tough town. I wouldn't be surprised if its related. Hopefully he'll get the help he needs.

First off, he's found drunk at 11 a.m., that's pretty sad don't you think?

Secondly, he's gonna get his liscense suspended...no biggie, he's moving back to Latvia...

No question, his car's a rental...

Third...the rags should put him into rehab....

11am yicks that sounds like he has some real problem with the drink. After living with a recovering falling off the wagon alcholic I have seen that type of behavior. My old roomate would wait outside the packy to open up at 9am. Scary stuff I hope he can get his sh!t together it isn't an easy road to go down.

It's extremely sad. I think the pressure was too much for Sandis. He was booed a lot in Game 3. I felt sorry for him. He had a history when the Rangers traded for him. It didn't work out. This guy has a serious problem and must get immediate help. He's lucky he didn't kill himself or anyone else.

Here's another article on the situation:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=164742&hubname=

New York Rangers defenceman Sandis Ozolinsh, who spent six weeks of the season in a substance abuse program, was arrested on a drunk driving charge in White Plains, New York on Tuesday, according to various local reports.

The seven time all-star, who was acquired by the Rangers from Anaheim in March, was reportedly pulled over for speeding at 11am. The officer noted "a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage" and a sobriety field test revealed that Ozolinsh had a blood-alcohol level of .17 percent. That more than twice the legal limit of .08 percent.

Ozolinsh was charged with DWI, speeding and driving without a seat belt.

Ozolinsh was released without bail and is scheduled to appear in White Plains City Court on May 16.

Ozolinsh dazzled in his return to the NHL after being released from rehab. He was good enough to get the Rangers attention, and they swapped a third round pick to secure his offensive skills for he stretch run.

Although the Rangers faltered, Ozolinsh was fantastic in New York, netting 14 points in 19 games and a +2 rating to close the regular season.

The playoffs, however, were a different story.

Ozolinsh was pointless in the first three games, and drew boos from the Madison Square Gardens faithful after committing a series of defensive gaffes. The Rangers benched him for the final game as New York was swept in four straight by the New Jersey Devils.

Ozolinsh has a $2.75 million contract for next season.

The Rangers told Newsday they would handle the matter internally. Frank Brown, an NHL spokesman, told Newsday that Ozolinsh will be referred to a league after-care physician for an evaluation.

That is kinda sad (in a blup-blup, cry-cry kinda way), I didn't even notice the 11am part. The Rangers should get him sorted out, afterall they knew his history taking him on. At least they have some time on their hands now to take care of such things.

The Nissan Altima was my first thought too, geez, he needs help. Not saying the Altima is a bad car, but out of all the cars in the WORLD he chooses that one? :doh1:

Altima isnt bad... he's basically retired at 33... and only has a couple of million to live off of. If I were in his shoes, Id drive a modest, but nice car too... Espically if Im driving drunk... :doh1:

This is sad man. The guy has to get his sh!t together off the ice. On a related, much less serious note- the guy makes a 6-figure salary and he's driving a Nissan? :noclue:

I was going to say the same thing.. I like the altima, my friend has one...and its great.. but I was shocked to see that was what someone with that money was driving...although its not a problem, its just weird. Used to seeing them in their tricked out SUVs and sports cars and caddys.

Anyhow, best of luck for him recovering.. hopefully he just had a small breakdown and will be fine.

Officer John Lick stopped Ozolinsh shortly after 11 a.m. yesterday after he was allegedly clocked going 66 miles per hour in a 40 mph zone on eastbound Westchester Avenue. Ozolinsh, who was driving a blue 2006 Nissan Altima, had "a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage'' on his breath, the police report says.

Westchester Avenue is basically a service road that i've whipped down myself quite a bit in my life(I went to high school about 2 minutes from there in White Plains), but being twice the legal limit at 11am in the morning? C'mon, imagine how drunk he was at 3am, you can't be doing that. White Plains is a populated city and if he just left the main city itself he coulda killed someone real easily.

If you were that drunk at 11 AM you'd leave your Porsche in the garage and drive a rental too!

Sad note... hope he gets his act together. Glad he didn't hurt anyone.

What is so wierd with someone making his kind of money driving an Altima??? Is there some kind of rule that exists which says if you make such and such a salary then you must never be seen in this list of cars and you must be seen in this list of cars??? Is there some kind of bling bling rule? If he drove a Ferrari I bet there would still be comments. Sheesh, whether it is a rental or not is irrelevent. I hope it is his car and the message is that one does not have to flaunt what they are blessed with...it is the person, not their possessions, that is important.