Game thread: New Jersey VS Philly 7:30EST

Devil Fan

Detrieved from NHL.com

Flyers-Devils Preview

7:30 PM EST

TV Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Local start: 7:30 PM

National TV:

TSN,RIS

Local Home:

FSNY

Local Away:

WPSG

The Philadelphia Flyers are hoping they've finally shaken their early season slump.

After a five-day layoff, the Flyers return to the ice Friday when they visit the New Jersey Devils.

The Flyers (8-15-4) have not played since losing 4-3 in a shootout to the Devils on Saturday. Despite the loss, Philadelphia recorded a point for the fourth time in five games, going 3-1-1 over that span.

Before that run, the Flyers had lost three in a row and nine of 11. They still own the worst record in the Eastern Conference.

Mike Knuble and Todd Fedoruk scored, and Randy Jones had a goal and an assist Saturday for Philadelphia.

Brad Lukowich had the game-tying goal, and Zach Parise and Patrik Elias also scored for the Devils (15-9-2), who have won five straight against the Flyers.

Antero Niitymaki made his seventh straight start and had 29 saves for Philadelphia. Niitymaki, who is 4-2-2 with a 2.68 goals-against average over his last nine appearances, is seeing a lot of playing time since Robert Esche underwent groin surgery on Nov. 29.

"You know you're going to play a lot of games, and it's easier to prepare yourself every game and in practice," Niitymaki told the team's official Web site. "It's always fun to play a lot of games. I don't want to say it gets easier, but it's easier to prepare mentally."

Philadelphia coach John Stevens said he was using his team's long break to work on fundamentals.

"It's a really good week for us to kind of review everything and by the end of Thursday, we'll have reviewed a lot of parts of our game that need work," he said.

The layoff also gave captain Peter Forsberg a chance to travel to Arizona, where a skate company was trying to come up with a design to prevent his foot from rolling inside the boot. Forsberg, who is listed as probable for Friday's game, has struggled to find a comfortable skate since undergoing corrective surgery on his right ankle in May.

"We worked on it for a couple days," Forsberg said after practice Thursday. "I don't want to talk about if it's good or bad. We're still working on it."

The Devils have played once since their last matchup with the Flyers, beating Montreal 2-1 in overtime on Wednesday. Patrick Elias scored the game-winner on a power play with 7.3 seconds left in the extra period for New Jersey, which improved to 10-1-1 at home.

The Devils have won six straight on their home ice since a 5-2 defeat to the New York Islanders on Nov. 2.

Goalie Martin Brodeur, who is 15-9-1 with a 2.32 GAA this season, made his 19th straight start despite cutting a finger in practice on Tuesday.-- Associated Press

Edited by Devil Fan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TSN is carrying this game, I get to watch it as I get drunk and get ready to go to my birthday party!

:boogie: LETS GO BIATCHES!!! :boogie:

Lets hope the Flyer fans dont come out in bunches and lets hope they dont start sh!t. Look out for your fellow Devils fans, This is OUR HOUSE. Sure it may be empty every night, but its still OUR house. Lets not let them push us around like they own the place.

Traffic report --- Not that you need this to know that traffic blows in NJ!

Weather report --- Cold WINDY day today,

LETS GO DEVILS!!!!

229 and 228 will be there rocking tonight!!!!!

I have the house to myself tonight, planning on ordering Dominos Pizza and wings with a big bottle of soda and watch the game on my couch :boogie:

Posting from the arena:

Brodeur starting again, Forsberg announced as a scratch. Devils looked a little off during the warmups... didn't seem coordinated at all. Hope its not foreboding!

Time to shove the flyers deeper in the basement. Lets go Devils!! :dance: