GDT: TB@DEVILS 04/12/07 7:30 pm

Devilish34

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, thanks Johan! You really bailed us out there. Terrible goaltending by Tampa - we didn't play all that good - didn't play all that bad either, but blew a 2 goal lead which is uncharacteristic. Tired of this 'unproven guys give us trouble' crap - he was awful, and the Lightning really don't have any better options unless they call Daren Puppa out of retirement.

On the one hand, there's reason to be optimistic because it's unlikely that Vinny L and St. Louis have this kind of effect every game - on the other, reason to be pessimistic because they ran wild tonight.

Refs were terrible tonight - just brutally bad. One of them was Koharski, so that's not a surprise.

I like the way we look - except for Zajac, who was surprisingly absent from this one - if we can keep drawing power plays, we can continue to score on them.

What a relief to get a win like that! :clap: We made about 5 mistakes tonight and paid for only 3 - that's not too bad against a team like TB.

I thought the refs were really bad tonight, especially in the third - they did not call a consistent game either way (our last penalty was terrible). Overall, I think Marty played as good as he could have (not much chance on Rafalski's goal or the first one either).

At the end of the game, Chico made a great point - TBs only goal tonight was to get some confidence in their goalie, and build on this game the rest of the series. The way it ended for them on Gio's goal, and us getting 2 lines going - that was perfect for us. The worst thing tonight (In my opinion) is how we got dominated by their 4th line - WTF?

I think we'll win game 2 by one or two, but it will be lower scoring. 2:1 or 3:1. Can anyone remember the last time we scored 5 goals, and had an even scoring game (goals in every period?)

Let's win Saturday, and then get on the road (where the Devils have been great this year). :pray:

Edited by Motor City Devil

EGG line really stepped up. Elias and Gionta with a goal, and Scotty Gomez with 3 assists!

PZL was great once again, Parise is the man.

Pandolfo and Madden didn't seem to fair well against Lecavalier but I am sure they will stop him. They know what to do to win.

Lots of penalties were taken but I am sure the Devils will work to fix that. They tend to not take that many. Oduya didn't have the best game. The radio announcer said Greene played well, is that an accurate statement?

Awesome victory! 3 more to go to win this series. I hope they win their 2nd when I make the trip from Maryland to go see my first Devils playoff game!

Pretty huge win IMO. If Marty was going to be rusty after a week off, and he may have been, it's a damn good thing the EGG line came back. Good way to start the series!

Great game by our top guns.

Gomez has the ability to completely rewrite his season in the playoffs and get a gigantic long term contract with his play in the next two months. Today was a good start.

Eias looked really good. He had some great chances and I love when he cuts into the slot, fakes the shot while the defender goes down and skates past.

Oduya just looked awful. Get him off the ice. He could have had 6 holding calls.

Our players are becoming big complainers. A lot of the penalties they got were deserved and they were really giving it to the refs.

Tonight proved that we ABSOLUTELY need to have the Madden line out against their top line. With the St. Louis line out there against Madden, it was an automatic powerplay. When they were out against Zach's line, it was like a 5-on-3 powerplay.

I agree with Triumph regarding Holmqvist (that he handed the game to us, not that I'm 100% sure he can't be that bad every night). I watched the game at a friends place (since it was only on RDS here north of the border) and he watched the game as an unbiased observer (he's a Habs fan). His comment was that it seemed like two good teams, quite evenly matched - except one team had Brodeur and the other had a sack of potatoes.

And yes, the officiating was horrible. But we scored on our dive, and they didn't score on any of theirs. :boogie:

After the first period, I figured Oduya would get sat next game for Matvichuk. But Johnny made some good defensive plays with the game on the line. Don't think I could say that he fully redeemed himself, but I think he played well enough to stay in the line-up.

Did our fourth line get a shift tonight?

Edited by Don

Oduya for Matvichuk would be a big mistake.

every defenseman has to at least be able to adjust if they happen to be out there when St. Louis and Lecavalier are out there. Matvichuk would just be overmatched.

Lou may think it better to play Matvichuk on the road instead of Greene - I disagree.

Not sure if you noticed Don...well I am sure you noticed this but CBC was broadcasting the game with RDS picking up the feed and having their guys back in a studio calling the game but when the Wings-Flames game ended, CBC flipped to the Devils game with Whitman and Galley calling the third period with much better sound.

As for Oduya, he may have made some good plays but he looked like a walking penalty machine and at some points a pylon. He has to keep two handsvon his stick and not just take a hand and grab a whole lot of jersey.

Edited by devilsrule33

Oduya had a couple of sprawling saves tonight after his rough first half of the game. I am willing to give him a break for a bit, he is still technically a rookie and probably wasn't ready for how tight the refs called this game (in their minds of course).

I doubt you'll see Oduya much anymore. I missed some parts of the game.

But, when I saw him in, I was breathing heavily.

He doesnt look comfortable and wasnt effective. Lou wont allow him to become mistake-prone. He'll simply pull him.

oduya took a stupid penalty, then committed the same exact stupid penalty resulting in a goal. plus he got burnt BADLY by st. louis on one play.

he's in the dog house sure but he's a rook, and he's got a toughhh assignment. I don't know if anybody else is better suited for the job frankly. We don't have either of the Scotts back there so we can no longer shut down opposing top lines, only hope to contain them.