GDT: San Jose @ NEW JERSEY - 2/20/08 7 p.m

eaglejelly

I don't know if they showed this on tv but one of the linesman caught a rut in the ice and lost his edge and fell when they were warming up before the 2nd period. He looked like he tweaked his knee but he came back later in the game so I'm glad that he was ok.

That was really weird. I missed it at first, but saw the guy laying on the ice right after he fell. The crowd was clapping and laughing for a second when he fell, but once they realized he was hurt stopped. I guess the ice is really that bad.

Overall a good experience at the game. The crowd was into it, the game was exciting, can't ask for much more. All year I have been moving down to the front row of the balcony, never having a problem at all, but tonight they had a ton of ushers and redcoats checking tickets. I guess the Devils got tired of people moving down there and protected it like the lower bowl. I hope they don't keep that up. I can understand if those rows in the front get packed, but seriously there is always almost no one sitting there unless people move down. It looked so empty tonight and then a couple of rows above people were packed in like sardines. :P

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if they showed this on tv but one of the linesman caught a rut in the ice and lost his edge and fell when they were warming up before the 2nd period. He looked like he tweaked his knee but he came back later in the game so I'm glad that he was ok.

I didn't even realize that, I was wondering what the mini-delay was at the start of the second period.

It's a shame that the ice is so bad though, I guess adjusting the computer didn't help. The arena's a palace in every other way but everyone got sold a bill of goods on the ice sadly. It won't get much better when the weather gets warmer.

I didn't even realize that, I was wondering what the mini-delay was at the start of the second period.

It's a shame that the ice is so bad though, I guess adjusting the computer didn't help. The arena's a palace in every other way but everyone got sold a bill of goods on the ice sadly. It won't get much better when the weather gets warmer.

I saw him fall and he looked fine he didn't crash into the boards or anything so I thought he was just laying their embarrased but his knee was real shaken up. Good to see him come back.

Anyone notice no horn at the end of the second and the end of the game? Thought that was odd, and Elias not coming out for his 3rd star, guess he wasn't feeling it.

TON of Sharks jerseys at the arena tonight, their we're 6 of them on the same line for food after the first, found it a bit strange but good nonetheless. Good to see hockey fans supporting all over.

Overall good game, decent crowd. Would have liked to see a little more come from the Marty scrum since Roenick is such a clown, but i'll take a good Oduya facewash if I must.

TON of Sharks jerseys at the arena tonight, their we're 6 of them on the same line for food after the first, found it a bit strange but good nonetheless. Good to see hockey fans supporting all over.

There was way more Sharks fans at the garden on Sunday. I'm assuming a good amount of them came out from San Jose to catch the road trip.

Edited by Satans Hockey

They did show it on TV, I felt bad that must be so embarrassing.

I had a feeling that was coming... ;)

But he really did find it, showed me, I think it'd be creepy to add her. I don't need my favorite team's coach's daughter thinking I'm an online stalker.

That is a little weird, I'll take the old fashioned approach and "accidentally" bump into her at a game. But i DID add Rod Pelley as a friend, Idk if he accepted me or not. :noclue:

Good game tonight and especially from the defense "inturns" Greene and Brookbank. ;)

Solid play tonight but just seems that Vishnevski it at the wrong place at the wrong time on the ice. He laid out a nice hit but just poor play in their own zone. Sutter is smart to keep Greene and Brookbank in tonight against a so called dangerous team as the Sharks. Brodeur let in one goal on his own tonight which was the 1st goal of the game. Just glad to see the Devils bounce back in the second period with a goal and then two quick ones. Parise, Madden and Brylin had some nice goals. Devils got the 2 points and now it is onto the NYI who the Devils will be ready for on Saturday afternoon! :evil:

Zajac had a great game and was just snake bitten all night long. He could have easily had 3-4 goals tonight. Madden had a good game too along with Pandolfo.

First, Madden is looking incredible....

Let the Defense "Intern Week" continue:

Is there anybody here that seriouslly thinks that "Brookbank & Greene" are really the "go to guys" over Rachunek and Vish? Now granted, I know we all have issues with just about everyone on the D, and I agree that Vish gets out of position a lot to make the hits...........but.........

Are we seiouslly supposed to believe that Sutter put these guys in because he was "afraid" of the Sharks?

Sorry...I really don't see anything stellar that makes me believe that these guys have earned a spot.

I mean....talk about a rookie play...the handball by Greene that led to the delay of game....blatant display of rookieness. Don't get me wrong, I like both these guys, and they may both someday be good NHL'ers but unless there are deliberate machinations in play to showcase or rest someone for a trade move, I don't think that now is the best time to try to bring these guys "up to NHL snuff"(and I really think that Lou/Brent know this and have something going on).

Granted, as well, I know Whitey was out....but...

Sorry, I'm not buying that there is some big change in the works w/the coaching staff that is going to bring both these guys into the pairs regularly while this team is actually having some luck. they couldn't even get a shot through from the point...its like October all over again.

A rookie goalie (and Marty's apparent "seen hand"), not a stellar defense, is what won us this game.......barely...

Intern Report Card - C minus - I'm not impressed. :ph34r:

Edited by DevilinLA

I mean....talk about a rookie play...the handball by Greene that led to the delay of game....blatant display of rookieness.

How is that a blatant display of rookieness? It's not like you are allowed to do that in college or anything. He has played hockey before, it's not like he is adjusting to a whole new rulebook.

Edited by devilsfan26

It actually looked and sounded like more people than that which surprised me too given our crappy attendance last Wednesday. A lot of these attendance numbers make no sense to me, at times it seems like there are more and at times fewer fans than the actual given number :P

For once playing a backup goalie helped the Devils, we lose this game with Nabokov in net. But the team has been playing well lately and didn't play all that bad tonight either so guess we deserved a break, especially with the ridiculous reffing AGAIN.

btw Tri, the Devils have some text-message discounts (text Devils to 73777) every game, one of the discounts given today was for Islander tickets Saturday - $95 tickets for $65. You need the text message and the code, probably too late for that.

I do think the Isle game will be a sellout or pretty close to it in any case but that is weird that they wouldn't sell tickets at the box office then advertise it. This organization's pr makes no sense either.

As of this afternoon, (of course this will change since they dump tickets), there were no $95 tickets available for that game, in pairs. The only things I've seen lately are stray clubs and the $100 seats in the $75 and $65 sections.

How is that a blatant display of rookieness? It's not like you are allowed to do that in college or anything. He has played hockey before, it's not like he is adjusting to a whole new rulebook.

My point was that, even given the pressure, there was a better play to be made there....including a straight "bat" down to the ice, directly at his feet. All I'm saying is that I don't see any hidden brilliance in this guy that makes him a "no go" for trading.... :noclue:

I DEF think that Fox Sports has turned up the volume on the crowd to make a smaller crowd sound louder. The highlights for the game against Ottawa last week made it sound like a game in Montreal!

You need to sit up high more often :P

The crowd (least in my little area) was REALLY into this game and loud and hostile... I think alot of us were unhappy with how dead we felt from that crappy 1pm Monday game and made up for it in FORCE last night... and I know me personally I was looking much forward to this game too (and I know it's from injury, but I was annoyed AGAIN we get a damn backup.... least we made this stiff look like a confused and lost backup goalie!)

But the 208-210 area was VERY intense tonight

and that closing the hand on the puck penalty was the worst and lamest call I can remember all year!!! :rant:

and that closing the hand on the puck penalty was the worst and lamest call I can remember all year!!! :rant:

Huh? He picked it up and threw it. You're not allowed to do that. You have to bat it or drop it.

That was a super easy call and standard. Maybe you never got to see a replay of it, being at the game, but it could be on the textbook 'closing hand on puck' video for blind refs.

It was a joke that once again New Jersey only gets 1 power play.

Huh? He picked it up and threw it. You're not allowed to do that. You have to bat it or drop it.

That was a super easy call and standard. Maybe you never got to see a replay of it, being at the game, but it could be on the textbook 'closing hand on puck' video for blind refs.

It didn't look THAT bad from our seats (and I hate people who bitch about calls... the call seemed very ticky tack from our seats).... I tend to miss replays cause they tend to show them as the game goes on :blink:... it was a rare call i was annoyed about

Least they didn't call 500 offsides calls on us today

And to get that SJ had to pull just an out of the world blatant penalty. A worrying trend within games is that the Devils rep. is that they don't draw penalties so I think refs are comfortable not giving them PP's since it fits the refs expectation of how the game will go. Then the oppponents get away with a few small things and get embolden and continue building on illegal play until eventually the ref calls something.

Last night has a pretty decent example, Zubrus taps Thornton, who goes down like he is shot, and draws a penalty leading to more timid play by the Devils for fear of similar calls. Later in the game Oduya is hooked heavily by Thornton from behind and there isn't anything called which leads to more aggressive play by SJ because they haven't been penalized for infractions. Thornton just kept getting more liberal with his stick work as the night went on because he kept getting away with it. It led to him just knocking the Devil down for no reason for him to actually be called for something.

It didn't look THAT bad from our seats (and I hate people who bitch about calls... the call seemed very ticky tack from our seats).... I tend to miss replays cause they tend to show them as the game goes on :blink:... it was a rare call i was annoyed about

Least they didn't call 500 offsides calls on us today

I would say it was definitely a penalty as defined in the rule book but in real life it's pretty liberally applied. I think we've all seen players catch a puck and spin around or fake drop it and then drop it in a different direction before. Those situations should also be penalties but are rarely called. At least Greene had a continuous motion to toss it while players sometimes do double moves to no call.

if by continuous motion you mean he closed his hand on the puck and then snapped his wrist back, and then forward to throw it, then I'd agree with you.

But that doesn't seem to fit my definition of continuous motion. As it is, it was only a penalty because he threw it to a teammate instead of to himself.

Edited by Cowutopia

QUOTE(DevilinLA @ Feb 21 2008, 02:21 AM)

I mean....talk about a rookie play...the handball by Greene that led to the delay of game....blatant display of rookieness.

That was one of the worst penalties of the season! :angry: That was not a penalty and it looked like the Sharks got all the calls and PP last night. One PP for the Devils and 5 for the Sharks. Just not a good game by these refs.

Say what you want about Greene but this kid has done a far better job than most of you give him credit for. Some seem to forget that Greene was one of our best defenseman down the stretch last season and in the playoffs. He is doing a good job on the ice when he plays. The only reason he was sitting as Sutter mentioned in an article is that there is 8 defenseman that he has that they all can play but cannot play at the same time in a game so he has to unfortunately play the defenseman that are playing well and right now Greene with the time he is playing now is playing well along with Brookbank. Vishnevski does and occasional good hit but his defense in front of Brodeur has been brutal! Vishnevski and Rachunek have not played very well as of late and this is why we are finally seeing better defense infront of Brodeur with Greene and Brookbank IMO who also has a good hard shot on the PP which helps them in front of the net if we just have a player who can stand in front of the net with the big rebounds that have been happening in the last couple of games. I think if there is going to be a trade I think Rachunek will be in that trade and not Greene. Brookbank could possibly go too but hope not.

Greene and Brookbank > Vishnevski and Rachunek. For right now and should play again on Saturday vs. the NYI.

Triumph's right. You can't close your hand on the puck and throw it. Thats a two minute penalty. What are you guys complaining about?

The worst call of the night was the 1st one where Joe Thornton fell down from a phantom hook. But that was just a blown call.

In any case I didnt really see SJ do anything blatant that deserved a penalty so I can't complain too much about only one penalty being called. I thought the refs were fair.

That was one of the worst penalties of the season! :angry: That was not a penalty and it looked like the Sharks got all the calls and PP last night. One PP for the Devils and 5 for the Sharks. Just not a good game by these refs.

Say what you want about Greene but this kid has done a far better job than most of you give him credit for. Some seem to forget that Greene was one of our best defenseman down the stretch last season and in the playoffs. He is doing a good job on the ice when he plays. The only reason he was sitting as Sutter mentioned in an article is that there is 8 defenseman that he has that they all can play but cannot play at the same time in a game so he has to unfortunately play the defenseman that are playing well and right now Greene with the time he is playing now is playing well along with Brookbank. Vishnevski does and occasional good hit but his defense in front of Brodeur has been brutal! Vishnevski and Rachunek have not played very well as of late and this is why we are finally seeing better defense infront of Brodeur with Greene and Brookbank IMO who also has a good hard shot on the PP which helps them in front of the net if we just have a player who can stand in front of the net with the big rebounds that have been happening in the last couple of games. I think if there is going to be a trade I think Rachunek will be in that trade and not Greene. Brookbank could possibly go too but hope not.

Greene and Brookbank > Vishnevski and Rachunek. For right now and should play again on Saturday vs. the NYI.

Triumph's right. You can't close your hand on the puck and throw it. Thats a two minute penalty. What are you guys complaining about?

The worst call of the night was the 1st one where Joe Thornton fell down from a phantom hook. But that was just a blown call.

In any case I didnt really see SJ do anything blatant that deserved a penalty so I can't complain too much about only one penalty being called. I thought the refs were fair.