Theory on Where We Are and Where We're Headed.

Devil Dan 56

I posted this (more or less) on Gulitti's blog, but figured I'd throw it here to see if anyone agrees/disagree/calls it the dumbest thing ever and then says I'm a doody head.

This is all just speculation as to what I think the plan is/was from last off season.

I agree that this team needed something at the trade deadline. Absolutely no doubt about it.

However, I think that Lou made a smart decision by standing pat. He acquired Salvador with the intention of unloading another D-man in a trade. He admitted that the second trade fell apart.

Its also been rumoured that Lou was in the running for Hossa. When Montreal traded Huet to make room for Hossa, I'd be willing to bet that Atlanta jacked up the price. And then Pittsburgh blew everyone away with that deal. Unless they win the cup this year, they gave up too much.

The Devils would have had to have given up a 1st rd pick, Zajac, and most likely some combination of Corrente, Palmieri, Halischuk, etc. I don't think that it was worth it, considering that this team needed more than just a scorer.

As for next year... I feel Sutter's style (which we saw at the beginning of the season and in the last couple of games) will be where the Devils are headed. The offseason plan should be to add players that fit such a style. Remember, our FA signings were made before Sutter was hired. He had no say. They were signed, in my opinion, purely to ice a decent team while they got ready for next year.

They will target a tougher d-man (Jason Smith has been rumoured) and a puck moving d-man. And something will be added to the offense. Not someone incredibly flashy, but someone reliable. I'd love to see Rolston come back, but thats probably just cause I liked him as a Devil. Add a few young guys making the team (Bergfors, Vrana, etc) and this team is primed for a cup run in the next 2-3 years, just in time for Marty to retire in 2012.

I honestly think this year was nothing more than a highly successful rebuilding year and that the reason they reverted to the old style of play was because we don't yet have the tools for the style Sutter used in juniors and international play.

Any thoughts? Comments? Chocolate milk?

i agree that there will be between 4 and 6 new faces on this team next year and they won't all be from lowell.

sutter's agressive forechecking style can and will work. the problem is that the devils did not have the defense to work within that plan. only martin and oduya posses the recovery speed to deal with a counter attack. every other defenseman the devils employed this past season was woefully inept in that facet and that's why we saw the rangers gain the zone with ease and be given the outside without any real struggle - the personnel for the devils couldn't play any other way.

in a successful hockey season, you have to have more than just good players. you need to have enough good things break your way. for the devils this year, other than another great brodeur season, parise cementing himself as a top line player and consistent 60-70 point guy, and martin and oduya making positive strides every other "if" for the devils didn't happen.

Gionta fell out of bed.

Elias couldn't find himself until he was switched to center and his goal scoring touch left him.

Langenbrunner was hurt and went missing for great stretches this season.

White's eye injury has altered his career forever.

Zajac regressed in a major way.

Clarkson didn't mature into the 15 goal scorer he needs to be.

Zubrus was jerked around and didn't get comfortable and was used improperly for most of the season.

you cannot lose players like gomez and rafalski and not get players to step up in their absence and expect to do great things.

this is an important offseason for Lou. The UFA market is actually not that strong for the next 2-3 years. Impact players are few and far between. there are certainly a number of restricted free agents that are attractive, but lou has to make the right deal for them. couple this with the fact that NJ is not the glamour destination and it makes it more difficult.

I think Sutter had some say even though he wasn't hired yet because he was a guy they were after for a while, as stated by Vanderbeek. They planned his hiring for a while, they would have had him last season instead of Julien but he wasn't ready to leave Red Deer yet, then when he said he was ready for this season, they canned Julien as he was only a temporary coach and was never going to be anything more.

Sutter doesn't run this team, Lou does. When we sign someone its Sutter's job to figure them out, they are here because Lou wants them.

I think that Lou and Vanderbeek trying to hard to get Sutter shows that they would want his input as to what players he does or does not want. Or atleast what kind of players.

SOMEONE is gonna have to be GM when Lou retires. I'm under the impression that Sutter may be being groomed for just that position. Unless Conte is considered the heir apparent. Or Chris Lamariello....

Bet the house on Chris that's how things work around here. Plus he's done a superb job in Lowell and Trenton.

Then they deserve what happens.

And to kill two birds with one stone, Sutter has input. Because if Sutter didn't, he'd tell all involved to "fvck off' and go back to Alberta permanently.

He hasn't been fired yet, has he? Our last placeholder coach would have been fired for doing what happened during ths series.

Bet the house on Chris that's how things work around here. Plus he's done a superb job in Lowell and Trenton.

superb job? what single thing did he do that was superb?? he makes no personel decisions.

My belief is that Sutter is essentially the GM in waiting. Guys like Chris Lamoriello will have authority on team operations and other matters and I believe that Conte will essentially be the scout extraordinaire for the draft and looking at talent to acquire. But, its pretty darn clear Sutter is being groomed as the guy who makes the final yes/no decisions.

If we just had a less mistake prone defense and a slightly more powerful offense we could have stuck with Sutter's original strategy for the Devils to become a more aggressive, offensive team. If we make the right additions/subtractions this offseason we can go back to that. I REALLY liked that Devil team, even if they were struggling at first. It was fun to watch. Please go back to that.

My belief is that Sutter is essentially the GM in waiting. It's pretty darn clear he is being groomed as the guy who makes the final yes/no decisions.

Thank God! The sooner the better.

If we just had a less mistake prone defense and a slightly more powerful offense we could have stuck with Sutter's original strategy for the Devils to become a more aggressive, offensive team. If we make the right additions/subtractions this offseason we can go back to that. I REALLY liked that Devil team, even if they were struggling at first. It was fun to watch. Please go back to that.

With a responsible defense, that strategy can stick. It'll be fun to see, thats for sure. They definitely were going back to it at the end of the Ranger series, but it was obvious the D couldn't handle it. No transition game.

I agree with much of what you posted Devil Dan 56...although I don't think that Lou's even going to go after a reliable guy like Rolston. I do think that Vrana, Bergfors and Pelley will be given every chance to make the team next year, and that Corrente will get a look during the preseason. As for the rest, I've already said in other posts: for a variety of reasons Lou will expect this bunch to improve offensively over the course of a full season (almost to a man, except possibly for Parise), starting with Elias, Gio, and Zubrus.