Before there were the Devils...

yankeesjetsfan

What was your favorite team and who was your favorite player and would you still wear his sweater? For me it was the Islanders. I was a huge Mike Bossy guy. I still collect some of his stuff. Not sure about wearing an Icelanders jersey though. At least I wasn't a Rags fan :puke:

Such a time doesnt exist for me. '87 born. :rolling:

I had no concept of which NHL teams were who before the Devils came to town. I rarely watched any hockey 'cept for the olympics and playing on the canal.

So it would be Team USA, and yeah, I would wear one of their jerseys still today. :thumbsup:

Neal Broten #9 ;) (not G#9 :wub: )

doyoubelieveinmiracleszb5.jpg

Edited by Masked Fan

What was your favorite team and who was your favorite player and would you still wear his sweater? For me it was the Islanders. I was a huge Mike Bossy guy. I still collect some of his stuff. Not sure about wearing an Icelanders jersey though. At least I wasn't a Rags fan :puke:

I used to like the Bruins back then. I didn't really have a favorite player -- maybe Rick Middleton. ... I did appreciate the great Islanders teams, though. I pulled for Butch Goring. ... I don't remember why :noclue:

Such a time doesnt exist for me. '87 born. :rolling:

same! but 86'

my parents WERE islander fans... until we moved here when i was a youngin

go Devils! haha

but i watch a few teams when the Devils arenl't playing (Center Ice)

Wild, Sabres, Hawks and Sharks

I was born in '81, and didn't get into hockey until the early 90's (thanks EASports). As long as I've watched hockey, I've been a Devils fan. I still remember the agony of 1995, knowing the team may not be there to defend the cup. I think a lot of people forget just how close the team came to moving.

Also a side story... my mom dated a guy who had Isles season tix before she met my dad. She went to games, but had no knowledge of the sport or players at all. So one day I'm watching a pregame, probably in the early 2000's, and she walks by and says 'hey, its Chico!' and then chanted his name the way they did in the Coliseum as she walked into the kitchen. Even as a non-fan, she still remembered the fans cheering for Chico nearly 30 years later. Makes me wish I could see some of his old games.

Doesn't have much to do with anything, but I just thought of it when thinking of a time before the Devils.

Also a side story... my mom dated a guy who had Isles season tix before she met my dad. She went to games, but had no knowledge of the sport or players at all. So one day I'm watching a pregame, probably in the early 2000's, and she walks by and says 'hey, its Chico!' and then chanted his name the way they did in the Coliseum as she walked into the kitchen. Even as a non-fan, she still remembered the fans cheering for Chico nearly 30 years later. Makes me wish I could see some of his old games.

I have DVDs of some Rockies games, in some of which Chico was the goalie. I really felt for him while watching those games...his team couldn't play a lick of defense and was brutal most nights, and poor Chico was flopping all over the place...in one of the games I saw the Rockies get lit up by the Kings 10-2 (the score was 2-0 before the game was a minute old). To his credit, Chico never bitched about it or threw his teammates under the bus, despite the fact that his career numbers took an absolute beating from his Rockies and Devils years. He had an interview with Pete Stemkowski during a 7-1 Rockies win (one of just 18 they had during the Rockies' last season in Colorado in 1981-82...even though they won big, St. Louis could have easily scored at least four goals if not for Chico and some badly missed opportunities), and Chico couldn't have been more of a standup guy. He basically said that he had to bring his best game every night to give his team a chance, that they weren't good enough to overcome too many mistakes, and that the many rumors surrounding the team's future in Colorado shouldn't be a distraction in the locker room. He added that any chance for the team to improve had to start with him.

I also have the "Mickey Mouse" game...one word...OUCH.

I didn't really start following hockey until the '83-'84 season (I was 13), when my parents took me and my brother to a Devils-Flyers game where the Devs, as usual in those days, got whupped. I became a Devils and ice hockey fan that night. Before that I knew who the Isles were because it was impossible not to (with all of their Cups), and the Rangers and Flyers and some other teams, but I just didn't follow it at the time. Most of what I've learned about the Rockies and Scouts has come from doing a lot of research and collecting games wherever I can find them.

Was born in '77 and first game was in Dec 82 NJ Devs of course. All I know is red and black

I also have the "Mickey Mouse" game...one word...OUCH.

The Mickey Mouse game was the 13-4 loss in Edmonton, right? ... I always got it confused with the return game in N.J. in which Devils fans were Mickey Mouse ears to the game -- and kept it close, losing 5-4. ... I was at that one!

Edited by 95Crash

In the 70's I really don't remember anything but the montreal/boston finals then the montreal/ranger finals. I can't for the life of me remember isles/rangers playoff series in the 70's, so I obviously didn't care enough. Then miracle on ice, & the isle run of cups. I do remember watching the nystrom cup winner on CBS. And ashamedly, i used to root for both nyi & nyr, betw. 1980 & 1982. I do remember

a smattering of road games were televised on channel 9, some of which were even tape delayed. But once the Devils arrived, there became only 1 team to root for.

The Mickey Mouse game was the 13-4 loss in Edmonton, right? ... I always got it confused with the return game in N.J. in which Devils fans were Mickey Mouse ears to the game -- and kept it close, losing 5-4. ... I was at that one!

Yep, that's the one. It was as ugly as that score would indicate.

I went ot a few games in McNichols arena to watch the "Rockie Hockies" play as they were affectionalely known. I bought a t-shirt that I wore for years in my own rec league games.

When they announced they were moving to NJ, I was thrilled that finally, there would be a professional sportsteam with my home state, New Jersey" in the title. I knew it would be a rough road in the beginning, which was painful, but worht the wait.

Growing up in the shadow of manhattan wear everyone in my state (including my family) liked the NY & Philly teams, I have something to call my own.

After I send this I'm going ot findanother Rockie Hockie t-shirt.

I was born in 1971, so I remember the days of the Islanders winning those cups and latched on to Bossy. Reason I was an Islanders fan was because My best friends dad was a Rags fan and since I didn't have a dad and he was the closest thing to one for me I, as most kids do, rooted for the opposite team he liked. I actually stopped watching hockey during the 80's as I was focused on alot of other stuff in my life, but returned during the 89-90 season. For some reason though, I didn't watch the Isles upon my return, I watched the Devils and have been a fan ever since.

I went ot a few games in McNichols arena to watch the "Rockie Hockies" play as they were affectionalely known. I bought a t-shirt that I wore for years in my own rec league games.

When they announced they were moving to NJ, I was thrilled that finally, there would be a professional sportsteam with my home state, New Jersey" in the title. I knew it would be a rough road in the beginning, which was painful, but worht the wait.

Growing up in the shadow of manhattan wear everyone in my state (including my family) liked the NY & Philly teams, I have something to call my own.

After I send this I'm going ot findanother Rockie Hockie t-shirt.

COME TO A FIGHT AND WATCH A ROCKIES GAME BREAK OUT! (That was their slogan for a while).

Since I started following hockey when there were only the "Original Six", I rooted for my local team and yes (gasp) it was the Rangers.

My favorite team from those years was the 1972 squad. Of course jerseys weren't that big back then, at least not of individual players. I don't recall many customized jerseys in the few games I attended. Most were just the "RANGERS" on the front and no name or number on the back.

From the 1972 team I liked Brad Park 2, Jean Ratelle 19, Ed Giacomin 1. Two of the three are probably more remembered for their play with the Bruins (Park, Ratelle) Of the three I probably would probably have chosen Ratelle.

If I had the jersey, would I wear it now? HELL NO!

I'm a Devil fan through and through now. B )

Edited by Rock

I used to like the Bruins back then. I didn't really have a favorite player -- maybe Rick Middleton.

I started watching hockey around 1980 -- probably because of the success of the USA Olympic team. I think one reason I chose to root for the Bruins was because when my town first got hooked up for cable, around 1980 or 1981, we used to get a Boston station (WSBK) that would show Bruins games. But I would also watch the Rangers on the MSG Network, although they were never my favorite team.

I didn't mind the Islanders, but I rarely got to see them because their games were carried on Sposrtschannel, which cost extra, and my parents wouldn't order it.

Come to think of it, the Devils, too, were on Spostschannel for most of their early years. The only way I would get to see them was when I went to the games. But if I remember correctly, I think MSG carried the Devils for a season or two in the beginning.