Top 10 New Jersey Devils

Devil Dan 56

A little discussion idea...

I was watching NHL Network (as I usually am) and they were showing the Top 10 players in team history. They have done the Oilers, Canadiens, Canucks, Senators, Blackhawks, and Flames.

I know they may not do all of the teams, but what would you guys say are the Top 10 Devils of All Time?

This seems like something that would have been covered, but I didn't see it when I did a quick search. Surely, someone will link to a thread that already discussed this at length, but anyway, I was wondering what some peoples lists would be?

1. Brodeur - overrated early in his career, but now definitely the best goalie in the game.

2. Stevens - what else is there to say?

3. Niedermayer - hate putting him up here but it's hard to argue with this.

4. Elias - played his career in the dead puck era with a sometimes offensively inept team, consistently led them in points

5. MacLean - still career leader in goals until Elias supplants him

6. Muller - sheperded the team into respectability. A forgotten Devil.

7. Richer - the man they traded him for. If Stephane hadn't had so many issues he would've scored 500.

8. Daneyko - hard to argue with 20 years of consistent defensive play.

9. Verbeek - had the all-time season record for goals until Gionta broke it. Quick, name all the other franchises who haven't had a 50 goal scorer.

10. Lemieux - yes I mean Claude and not Jocelyn. Both times he left New Jersey he left it a Cup Winner.

Honorable mention - Rafalski, Brylin, Holik

also honorable mention to Statsny, Fetisov, Andreychuk, Nieuwendyk, and Mogilny who are likely Hall of Famers, but not to be remembered as Devils.

also just thinking about this list, it's weird how the SEA line was the best in hockey, probably almost as good as heatley-spezza-alfredsson, but while the latter three are all HOF level players, none of the SEA guys will go in, and the line was really only together for 3 years - that really was a magical line.

Edited by Triumph

again in no particular order....

Sean Chambers

Darin Quint

Mike Danton :rolleyes:

Tom Chorske

Vadim Sharifijanov

Denis Pederson

Zdeno Ciger

Sasha Goc

JF Damphouse

Kevin Dean

Lyle Odelein

thats 11.....

here are some notables...

Brodeur

Stevens

Niedermayer

MacLean

Driver

Daneyko

Brylin

Terreri

Lemieux

Fetisov

Verbeek

Elias

Muller

Broten

Stastny

Richer...duh :evil:

Edited by westcoastdevfan

Great topic! It should generate some good discussion.

I agree with Tri on his ten but have changed the position of a couple.

1. Brodeur

2. Stevens

3. Niedermayer

4. Elias

5. MacLean

6. Verbeek

7. Lemieux

8. Muller

9. Richer

10. Daneyko

In no particular order.

Brodeur

Stevens

Niedermeyer

C. Lemieux

MacLean

Daneyko

McKay

Elias

Muller

The last one could be filled with any number of players. Some maybe too short of time as a Devil. Again no order.

Sundstrom - When he retired early due to bad back the Devils became known as team donut (No Center)

Richer,Verbeek, Mogilny, Driver, Rafalski.

Holik, Madden - not for their scoring but their defensive play.

Chico Probably first identity of team

Gomez- didn't score many goals but was always up there in league totals in assists.

Honorable mentions Guerin, Doug Brown (I always liked him) Stastny, the Brotens, Shanahan (his time was too short, but I liked him as a Devil)

I'm probably forgetting a few good players.

If not limited to just players: Lou, Lemaire, Robinson

I can't believe I haven't seen Madden on anyone's list.

I was considering putting Madden near the bottom of my list but found it tough to place him over some of the others (maybe Dano?). Mad Dog certainly gets a huge Honorable Mention.

LOU... he does everything else, i expect to see him suiting up this year

Brodeur

Stevens

Nieds

Elias

McLean

Dano

Madden+Pandolfo together

Holik?

Arnott?

Honorable mentions:

Cam "Power House" Janssen

Vladimir "Retires in the middle of the season" Malakov

Mike "fvckin" Danton

1. Martin Brodeur - No explanation needed. Even though he will always be a tad overrated

2. Scott Stevens - Did it all as a Devil

3. Claude Lemieux - The heart and soul of the team. Controversial, irrational, a headcase at times...but always entertaining, always clutch. A true DEVIL. He was born to wear our uniform.

4. Scott Niedermayer - Never played up to potential as a Devil, but one of the most talented people to wear the uniform. Steady with flashes of HOF type brilliance

5. John MacLean - The teams first real star

6. Ken Danyeko - Overrated as a Devils legend, but he was around forever. Didn't have much talent but a warrior to the very end

7. Patrik Elias - Great offensive player and probaby a Devil for life. Grown into a GREAT playoff performer. May eventually jump into the 3 or 4 slot.

8. Sergei Brylin - Loyal foot soldier, did a little bit of everything

9. Bruce Driver - Steady two way defenseman, longevity, and leadership. Shame he ended up on the Rags.

10. Kirk Muller - In the category of MacLean, just didn't stick around long enough

honorable mention - Aaron Broten, Bobby Holik, Randy McKay, Stephane Richer, Brian Rafalski, Petr Sykora, Jay Pandolfo

dishonorable mention- Esa Tikkanen, Lyle Odelein, Deron Quint, Walt Poddubny, Mike Danton, Bill Guerin.

Edited by '7'

1. Martin Brodeur - No explanation needed. Even though he will always be a tad overrated

2. Scott Stevens - Did it all as a Devil

3. Claude Lemieux - The heart and soul of the team. Controversial, irrational, a headcase at times...but always entertaining, always clutch. A true DEVIL. He was born to wear our uniform.

4. Scott Niedermayer - Never played up to potential as a Devil, but one of the most talented people to wear the uniform. Steady with flashes of HOF type brilliance

5. John MacLean - The teams first real star

6. Ken Danyeko - Overrated as a Devils legend, but he was around forever. Didn't have much talent but a warrior to the very end

7. Patrik Elias - Great offensive player and probaby a Devil for life. Grown into a GREAT playoff performer. May eventually jump into the 3 or 4 slot.

8. Sergei Brylin - Loyal foot soldier, did a little bit of everything

9. Bruce Driver - Steady two way defenseman, longevity, and leadership. Shame he ended up on the Rags.

10. Kirk Muller - In the category of MacLean, just didn't stick around long enough

honorable mention - Aaron Broten, Bobby Holik, Randy McKay, Stephane Richer, Brian Rafalski, Petr Sykora, Jay Pandolfo

dishonorable mention- Esa Tikkanen, Lyle Odelein, Deron Quint, Walt Poddubny, Mike Danton, Bill Guerin.

:rolleyes:

As great as Broduer is, when I think of the Devils the No. 1 Name on my list is Scott Stevens.

I find it hard to believe you're the first person to list Scottie as #1. I agree, with Brodeur at #2.

3. Ken Daneyko

4. John MacLean

5. Claude Lemieux

6. Patrik Elias

7. Scott Niedermayer

8. Kirk Muller

9. Pat Verbeek

10. Scott Gomez (That is tough one to admit for me...)

Why is Steve Sullivan not on anyone's list?

1. Scott Stevens

2. Martin Brodeur

3. Scott Niedermayer

4. John MacLean

5. Claude Lemieux

6. Ken Daneyko

7. Patrik Elias

8. Patrik Sundstrom

9. Kirk Muller

10. Don Lever

There is more IMO that belong in the top 10, but these are the names over the years that were and have been huge for this Devils franchise.