Playoff Predictions

nmigliore

I hate to say it, but I agree with this.

It has little to do with the way the Devils played down the stretch...I just hate this matchup. Carolina's power play has been lights out lately...if there is such a thing, the Devils' PK has been "lights in". The 'Canes play with a lot of confidence against the Devils. Unfortunately I see this series playing out very much like the '06 series, with the Devils constantly looking like they're a step slower. Like Jerry said, I hope I'm wrong, and I'll be there for Games 1 and (hopefully) 2.

The PK is fixable. When they make Zajac and Langs the top pair and put Madden with Elias instead of Pando they don't look slow. They need Sal and Oduya to pick it up and play up to their ability, but I think this team is capable of more than they were in '06. Hopefully they make it happen.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eastern Conference Quarterfinals:

Boston vs Montreal: Boston in 5

Washington vs NY Rangers - Washington in 5

Devils vs Carolina - Carolina in 6

Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh in 7

Eastern Conference Semifinals:

Boston vs Carolina - Boston in 4

Washington vs Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh in 7

Eastern Conference Final:

Boston vs Pittsburgh - Boston in 7

Western Conference Quarterfinals:

San Jose vs Anaheim - San Jose in 5

Detroit vs Columbus - Detroit in 4

Vancouver vs St. Louis - Vancouver in 5

Chicago vs Calgary - Chicago in 7

Western Conference Semifinals:

San Jose vs Chicago - San Jose in 7

Detroit vs Vancouver - Detroit in 6

Western Conference Final:

Detroit vs San Jose - Detroit in 7

Stanley Cup Final:

Detroit vs Boston - Detroit in 5

(1) Boston over (8) Montreal in 6

Montreal wins a couple due to 100th Season hoopla. But the Bruins D is just too much for them to win the series.

(2) Washington over (7) NY Rangers in 5

Washington is a fast, aggressive team and makes quick work of the Rangers. Rangers 'D' not enough for Capitals offense..Washington will convert a lot of power plays.

(3) New Jersey over (6) Carolina in 5

IMO, Devils need to get to Ward early and often in the series. crash the net.

(5) Philadelphia over (4) Pittsburgh in 6

The ref's will be accused of trying to swing the game to Pittsburgh, but Philly is just too physical and will take a lot of bad penalties. A shorty or two will swing this series to Philly anyway.

WEST

(1) San Jose over (8) Anaheim in 6

Anaheim has experience here, but the Sharks are just too good a team to lose the series.

(2) Detroit over (7) Columbus in 5

Columbus is having a great run to make it... but Its Detroit vs. Columbus. Enough said.

(3) Vancouver over (6) St. Louis in 4

St. Louis think they themselves a favor by leaping to 6th.....

Vancouver looks good in this short series, largely in part to timely goaltending and the fact that Sundin finally has playoff hopes.

(5) Calgary over (4) Chicago in 6

Chicago gives them a good fight but Calgary has goaltending edge and takes the series.

Eastern Conference Quarterfinals:

Boston vs Montreal: Boston in 5

Washington vs NY Rangers - Washington in 6

Devils vs Carolina - Carolina in 5

Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh - Philly in 7

Western Conference Quarterfinals:

San Jose vs Anaheim - San Jose in 6

Detroit vs Columbus - Detroit in 7

Vancouver vs St. Louis - Vancouver in 6

Chicago vs Calgary - Chicago in 7

Man, can't believe some of you are picking Boston to go so far. They had a good regular season, sure, but I'm not sure they're geared for a Cup run quite yet. Lots of inexperience here.

I don't see it. This isn't St. Louis where many players have never played in the playoffs. Most Boston regulars are back from their series with Montreal last year plus Recchi has been around the playoff block as much as anyone and Chara has lots of experience too. Just being in the playoffs for one series is enough "experience" for me.

Boston has what you need to have success in the playoffs. A strong goaltender (Thomas), a shut down defenseman who intimidates everyone (Chara) and balanced scoring with 6 guys scoring 20 or more and another at 19. The only team in the East that I think can take down Boston would be either us or Pittsburgh and I don't see us beating Carolina and I had the Pens taking them to 7.

I look at Chara and immediately get jealous because it's a weapon we're lacking.

Supposedly, if Elias had gone across the Hudson (for all the kudos he gets for his "loyalty", apparently only Sather's refusal to give him a NTC prevented that from happening...not knocking Elias, as he's not the first Devil to be fascinated with the Rangers), his money would have been used to sign Chara. Chara was Lou's "Plan B" that season, after not really having one for when Niedermayer left the offseason before.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Supposedly, if Elias had gone across the Hudson (for all the kudos he gets for his "loyalty", apparently only Sather's refusal to give him a NTC prevented that from happening...not knocking Elias, as he's not the first Devil to be fascinated with the Rangers), his money would have been used to sign Chara. Chara was Lou's "Plan B" that season, after not really having one for when Niedermayer left the offseason before.

The only problem with that is that Chara was signed as soon as UFA opened that 7/1 - leading many to believe that Chiarelli had a deal in place with him before it (however illegal that might have been).

The only problem with that is that Chara was signed as soon as UFA opened that 7/1 - leading many to believe that Chiarelli had a deal in place with him before it (however illegal that might have been).

It wouldn't surprise me if Lou had said something to Chiarelli about having interest in his client if Elias was to fall through (maybe something along the lines of "Don't do anything until you talk to us.") As we know Elias also signed very quickly, so that became moot almost immediately. I think tampering happens quite a bit in the days leading up to 7/1...with all of the Ts that need to be crossed and Is that need to be dotted when it comes to these deals, the fact that so many big ones get done on Day 1 of UFA will always be curious to me.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

rink.jpg

Lets start out west, the wild west. the Ducks are a good 8 seed, check that a great 8 seed. Behind the Nied's and Pronger the Ducks are able to steal games 2 and 4 to even the series at 2-2. But this series belongs to the best thing out of Kazakhstan not named Borat; Evgeni Nabokov leads the San Josie Sharkies to a 6 game win

California Gary (CalGary) and Chicago. The Hawks waited a long time to get to the dance, ice dance that is. such a shame that the Alberta natives have to ruin it for Obamas team. Calgary in 6

Red Wings

Blue Jackets

two polar color opposites, and two contrasting teams. The Jackets will expose a major weakness in Osgood and steal game 1. But the Wings are just too powerful to take any more, Detroit motors by in 5 (pun intended)

Canucks and the Blues. The Blues made the playoffs a quarter century straight before the retirement of Blue greats such as Al MacInnis and his ridiculously fast shot. This is an entirely new Blues team that looks nothing like the Blues of yesteryear. The Canucks sport the Sedin twins, who look exactly alike, a photographers nightmare. Canucks in 6.

San Jose and Calgary; This Sharks team is absolutly LOADED with scoring talent from top to bottom, and Nabokov is among the steadiest goalies in the game. They however seem to have a knack for turning out good backup goalies, like Vesa Toskala and company. Unlike Toskala, the Sharks forgot to send Miikka Sakari Kiprusoff across conference lines. Upset Special! Flames in 6

Detroit and Vancouver; Remember that thing about Columbous exposing the Wings subpar goaltending? A greater team like the canucks should be able to use that to their advantage right? Wrong, Wings shoot the house out, keeping the leaks shut enuf to quiet the critics.

Calgary and Detroit: finally a team that has a defensive/goalie combo to stymie the Wing potent attack, with the Red Wings scoring "normal amounts of goals" the Flames step up with a couple of key goals in timely fashion to head to the Cup!

Bruins / Canadians

The Canadians fight, struggle, flop, jump, skip, and switch between Halak and Price. To no avail as they get buried by the Bees from Boston.

Pens / Cheesesteaks

Somewhere Gary Bettman is smiling as Pitt gets home advantage and takes the first two games before the Flyers know what hit them, from there on its a war of attrition as the Malkins move on

Washington / New Yawk

New York fights tough as Lundqvist steals a game in the Verizon Center to make it 1-1. Right about the time its 3-2 Rags; Ovechkin realizes that not only is he better then Avery hes bigger and stronger then him. Caps rally and advance

Jersey / Carolina

The Devs exersise some demons with those pesky Canes taking game 3 after the Devils protect home ice. Marty stands on his head to take a game from RBC (Oh My!) and the Satans go up 3-1, before losing in OT in game 5. The Devs wrap it up on the road in Carolina (Oh My! Again)

Boston / Pitt

Boston has been described as a one and done team similar to a mirage due to the trap. The penguins are a great matchup for the bruins unfortunatly since they can throw their size and weight around with success, Philly would beat Boston but they lost already

Caps / Devs

Caps win a low scoring game 2-1 before blowing the roof off the house 6-3 to send all the Devs fan into a apotalyptic frenzy. Have no fear The Rock is here, the Devs win 4 in a row behind Langenbrunners breakout series and Zubrus delights in defeating his former team

Boston / Devs

The Bruins finally find a team as physical as themselves, Holik and Chara make themselves quite a soap opera but in the scoring department Parise and Zajac are too quick for the Bruins defense to handle 5 on 5

Jersey / Calgary

Devs raise the cup in the Rock, Clemmenson makes a cameo in game 4 as the game is out of reach. I would have it no other way!

I hate to say it, but I agree with this.

It has little to do with the way the Devils played down the stretch...I just hate this matchup. Carolina's power play has been lights out lately...if there is such a thing, the Devils' PK has been "lights in". The 'Canes play with a lot of confidence against the Devils. Unfortunately I see this series playing out very much like the '06 series, with the Devils constantly looking like they're a step slower. Like Jerry said, I hope I'm wrong, and I'll be there for Games 1 and (hopefully) 2.

I think the winner of game 1 takes our series.

If the Devils win, it's a huge momentum boost and maybe home ice wins it for us.

If Carolina wins, I don't see the Devils having the nuts to come back and win 4/6.

So every year when the playoffs are set, I simulate it on whatever NHL game I happen to have that year...this year I switched back to the EA Sports series after doing the 2Ks for awhile.

Does NHL09 really have no way to just put together a 16 NHL team tournament? You can do the Finnish playoffs or an 8 team playoff for the right to play the Canadiens centennial team, but not a regular 16 team NHL tournament? Or am I just missing it?

Do an Eastern Conference Tourney, a Western COnference Tourney, then sim the Cup finals yourself somehow. I'm doing an NHL 09 sim tonight; I'll post it in this thread.

EC Quarter Finals

Bruins - Canadiens: Bruins in 6

Capitals - Rangers: Capitals in 6

Devils - Hurricanes: Hurricanes in 5

Penguins - Flyers: Penguins in 7

WC Quarter Finals

Sharks - Ducks: Sharks in 5

Red Wings - Blue Jackets: Red Wings in 4

Canucks - Blues: Canucks in 6

Blackhawks - Flames: Flames in 6

I must say, I agree with your Eastern Conference predictions.

As for the West, I dare say that Columbus is going to shock Detroit in an amazing series.

Will you be attending any games, good sir? I may be at game 2 of the 'Canes/Devs!

I think the winner of game 1 takes our series.

If the Devils win, it's a huge momentum boost and maybe home ice wins it for us.

If Carolina wins, I don't see the Devils having the nuts to come back and win 4/6.

I doubt the numbers bear out there being "momentum" in series. I think the advantage teams get is that they only need to win 3 of the last 6 instead of 4 of the last 6 like the other team. If there was "momentum" then almost nobody but the very best teams should ever win a series where they lose the first game and I don't think that's the case.

I doubt the numbers bear out there being "momentum" in series. I think the advantage teams get is that they only need to win 3 of the last 6 instead of 4 of the last 6 like the other team. If there was "momentum" then almost nobody but the very best teams should ever win a series where they lose the first game and I don't think that's the case.

in total agreement - devils have momentum going in - just play smart and run Ward every once in a while - like what happens to brodeur every other game it seems

EC Quarter Finals

Bruins - Canadiens : Bruins in 4

Capitals - Rangers : Capitals in 5

Devils - Hurricanes : Devils in 7

Penguins - Flyers : Flyers in 6

EC Semi Finals

Bruins - Flyers : Bruins in 6

Capitals - Devils : Devils in 6 (Ovechkin gets taken out of the series in the 3rd game with injury)

EC Finals

Bruins - Devils : Bruins in 7

WC Quarter Finals

Sharks - Ducks : Sharks in 6

Red Wings - Blue Jackets : Red Wings in 6

Canucks - Blues : Canucks in 4

Blackhawks - Flames : Flames in 7

WC Semi Finals

Sharks - Flames : Sharks in 7

Red Wings - Canucks : Red Wings in 6

WC Finals

Sharks - Red Wings : Wings in 7

STANLEY CUP FINALS

Wings - Bruins : Bruins in 6 (Detroits G finally lets them down)

I must say, I agree with your Eastern Conference predictions.

As for the West, I dare say that Columbus is going to shock Detroit in an amazing series.

Will you be attending any games, good sir? I may be at game 2 of the 'Canes/Devs!

why would a rags fan attend a devils playoff game?

Eastern Conference Quarter Finals:

Bruins - Canadiens : Bruins in 6

Capitals - Rangers : Rangers in 7

Devils - Hurricanes : Devils in 6

Penguins - Flyers : Flyers in 6

EC Semi Finals

Bruins - Rangers : Bruins in 6

Devils - Flyers : Devils in 5

EC Finals

Bruins - Devils : Devils in 6

WC Quarter Finals

Sharks - Ducks : Sharks in 6

Red Wings - Blue Jackets : Red Wings in 5

Canucks - Blues : Canucks in 7

Blackhawks - Flames : Flames in 6

WC Semi Finals

Sharks - Flames : Sharks in 7

Red Wings - Canucks : Red Wings in 5

WC Finals

Sharks - Red Wings : Red Wings in 6

STANLEY CUP FINALS

Red Wings - Devils : Devils in 7

:koolaid:

lot's of optimism here in devil land, that's refreshing.

Unfortunately, this is not the same team as the one Langenbrunner said a couple months back that "anything short of a stanley cup would be a disappointment".

I don't know what happened, but they were playing above their heads when Clemmer was in there winning 25 games for them, then they had that big emotional high when Marty got back and I really believed, with a very well rested Marty, there was no stopping this team and they were going to steam roll right through the playoffs. But after they got Marty of the Roy record, the emotional let down seems to have deflated everyone and bad habits built up quickly.

It will be true test of Sutter's coaching ability and the veteran leadership to see which team shows up on Weds (and subsequent) nights. If they flip the switch and go back to pre-record breaking team, they're unstoppable, if they can't find that switch, with the way carolina played down the stretch, it will be over quick and nearly painless.

Devs-Canes devs in 6 parise will have a sick series and brodie will be better each game

Wsh-Rags rags in 7 hope im wrong but goaltending will win it for the rags

Bos-Mtl bos in 4 no contest here mtl to many key injuries

Pitt-Philly PHI in 7 a war with 2 losers this series will take a heavy toll on whoever wins

Sharks-ducks sj in 7

Wings-Jackets wings in 6

Canucks-blues canucks in 6

Hawks-Flames flames in 6

Devs-Phi devs in 6

Bos-Rags Bos in 6

Sj-Flames flames in 7

Wings-Canucks Canucks in 6

Devs-Bos Devs in 6

Flames-Canucks Flames in 7

Devs-Flames Devs in 6

Once we get past the canes there