The Official Rangers Suck Thread

Triumph

As much as I can't stand a lot of Ranger fans, as far as actual violence goes, the Flyer fans are far worse. Ranger fans just have annoying voices, lame jokes, and a warped sense of their franchise's history and importance. Flyer fans will punch you when you're not looking. The worst fan brawls I've witnessed always take place when the Flyers are in our building.

I feel like the fan dynamic of the Devils-Rangers rivalry has taken a turn for the worst these last few years. I may be selectively remembering here, but it seemed like in the mid- to late-'90s the Devils-Rangers fan rivalry was one with family roots and featured a lot of good-natured ribbing. Dad is a Rangers fan, son is a Devils fan ... older brother is a Rangers fan, younger brother is a Devils fan ... a pair of friends where one roots for the Rags and the other for the Devs ... that kind of thing. No matter how heated the arguments got, everyone was going home in the same car. But maybe it's a combination of the Devils fanbase getting older and the Rangers fanbase getting bolder with their immediate post-lockout success, or maybe it's because every Rangers fan secretly wants to be Sean Avery, but those guys on the other side of the river seem to be getting more obnoxious every year. There is still good-natured ribbing to be found, but it seems like you have to wade through more B.S. to find it than you used to. But again, maybe I'm just selectively remembering and it's always been this way.

That said, the Devils-Flyers fan rivalry has, at least for as long as I've been following the team, always been brutal, both verbally and physically. Those people have serious issues, and them stabbing each other after Opening Night is just another on a long list of examples.

I feel like the fan dynamic of the Devils-Rangers rivalry has taken a turn for the worst these last few years. I may be selectively remembering here, but it seemed like in the mid- to late-'90s the Devils-Rangers fan rivalry was one with family roots and featured a lot of good-natured ribbing. Dad is a Rangers fan, son is a Devils fan ... older brother is a Rangers fan, younger brother is a Devils fan ... a pair of friends where one roots for the Rags and the other for the Devs ... that kind of thing. No matter how heated the arguments got, everyone was going home in the same car. But maybe it's a combination of the Devils fanbase getting older and the Rangers fanbase getting bolder with their immediate post-lockout success, or maybe it's because every Rangers fan secretly wants to be Sean Avery, but those guys on the other side of the river seem to be getting more obnoxious every year. There is still good-natured ribbing to be found, but it seems like you have to wade through more B.S. to find it than you used to. But again, maybe I'm just selectively remembering and it's always been this way.

That said, the Devils-Flyers fan rivalry has, at least for as long as I've been following the team, always been brutal, both verbally and physically. Those people have serious issues, and them stabbing each other after Opening Night is just another on a long list of examples.

Ranger fans by and large have been douches since I've been following the team. Yeah, there's some cool ones, and the few friends that I have that are Ranger fans fit into the tolerable category. There's one guy I can't watch games with because he's absurdly biased...there's always at least 10 penalties that the Devils should've been called for, etc. He's a great friend otherwise, but when it comes to the Devils-Rangers I can't stand to be around him.

The most uncomfortable, douchiest moments always seem to be provided by Ranger fans in my experience, though the Islander fans seem to be giving them a run for their money lately. I'll never forget the morning of June 25, 1995...after throwing on my Devils jersey to go to a bagel shop, the extremely hairy Guido behind the counter (clearly a Ranger fan) immediately says "Oh yeah, now yous guys come out da woodwork. Dat series was fixed, dat's da only reason da Devils won dat series". I made the mistake of asking him exactly how the series might be fixed...he replied with a looooooooooooong explanation that, of course, made no sense whatsoever, but it was sadly obvious that this loser wasn't joking around, and was deadly serious. The guy was such a jerkoff about it that, when he handed me my bagels, I came back with something along the lines of "Well, there's always next year, you fat hairy brainless fvck. Keep churnin' out those bagels 'till then a$$hole" before leaving...I waited for a few minutes to see if he was going to come out, but he never did. I still went to that bagel shop, but never saw him again.

They do seem to be piping up a little more with their recent "success", but in all honestly, I wouldn't say it's that much worse than before.

I was stuck in that flyer section opening night. I wish I could see them again to rub it in their faces that they suck and we're in 1st. They said on opening night they were going to be the top seed and emery was going to be incredible. Yeah so much for that.

LiNK

Read an article on ESPNNHL about the Rangers Prospal injury and came across this moronic comment. Check out the link if you want to see it yourself.

Hey Depor78 are you kidding me? Your a nets fan, what are they now like 3-28? And your devils are not good, just lucky. How many games have they won by one goal?

Apparently, according to this Ranger fan, the Devils are a very lucky team indeed to be leading the entire NHL in points. I guess the phrase, it's better to be lucky than good, comes from a Ranger fan.

So leaving logic at the door like the first post said, I'll just say this. RANGERS SUCK.

Edited by Scoopscj

Plus you have to deal with Fuzzy, or whatever his name is, the Rangers fan who is a Devils STH in 225. I remember seeing that guy outside the Rock before the very first regular season game ever played there and thinking, "What's this guy's deal? Is he lost?" Little did I know he'd be there every stinking night.

I was stuck in that flyer section opening night. I wish I could see them again to rub it in their faces that they suck and we're in 1st. They said on opening night they were going to be the top seed and emery was going to be incredible. Yeah so much for that.

When we looked at them, they added an elite D to a quality group up front. The only question was the goalie and he got out fine before the injury which he played through, making it worse. Both myself and Hasan had the Pens and Flyers ahead of the Devils. We were far from alone because there were questions surrounding them (Elias, Rolston, Bergfors, Lemaire). Both Pitt and Philly looked deeper. Thing is it's not cut and dry making predictions because it doesn't take into account chemistry, injuries and coaching. Find me one person who thought Andy Greene, Johnny Oduya and Bryce Salvador were better than Chris Pronger, Kimmo Timonen and Braydon Coburn. Greene went from an afterthought to your best defenseman and possible Team USA. Who had Mike Richards likely playing himself off Team Canada and Jeff Carter only scoring two consecutive games only once (last 2 gms)? How many believed Rob Niedermayer was a good signing? Who thought the Flyers would miss Knuble this much? Who thought the Devils would not miss Paul Martin? All this has happened before the end of the first half.

Plus you have to deal with Fuzzy, or whatever his name is, the Rangers fan who is a Devils STH in 225. I remember seeing that guy outside the Rock before the very first regular season game ever played there and thinking, "What's this guy's deal? Is he lost?" Little did I know he'd be there every stinking night.

I haven't seen or smelled Fuzzy this year. I have seen his cronies though. They've moved toward center ice. I'm glad they've moved on...although I ignored them, I did find them annoying.

oh so that is the designated a$$hole i yell at every game, hahaha, i was wondering what the deal was.

That "designated a-hole" is in the hospital.

In all fairness Derek, ZGF probably doesn't even know who Fuzzy is. He could be thinking about someone else.

Although I didn't like Fuzzy much, I found other guys in his entourage far more abrasive than him. The guy who used to chastise Brodeur after he'd give up his first goal of the game (No shutout for Martin Brodeur blah blah blah) was annoying for the sake of being annoying.

In all fairness Derek, ZGF probably doesn't even know who Fuzzy is. He could be thinking about someone else.

Although I didn't like Fuzzy much, I found other guys in his entourage far more abrasive than him. The guy who used to chastise Brodeur after he'd give up his first goal of the game (No shutout for Martin Brodeur blah blah blah) was annoying for the sake of being annoying.

no clue who he is, i just always see a guy with rags jersey so i assumed it was him, what's wrong with the fuzzy, why is he in the hospital?

lol, 6-0 loss. i think i missed tortorella's press conference, which is a real shame.

You didn't really miss much. Tortorella came off sounding puzzled more than anything else. He also implied that he's sick of throwing tantrums every five games or so, and that it can't keep happening. He said that his team was coming off a good practice and that his players seemed like they were in good spirits, and he flat-out didn't have an answer for why his team played the way they did. No four-letter frothings or rants. He added that he didn't think Lundqvist was sharp (he was pulled after the first), but I didn't think that was fair, as the Queen had NO help whatsoever. Dubinsky (-4 on the night) really killed his team in the 2nd, when a completely lackadasical giveaway gave the Flyers their fourth goal just 23 seconds in.

Right now the Rangers are basically a two-headed monster (Lundqvist and Gaborik) who occasionally get contributions from other guys, coached by a guy who doesn't seem to have a whole lot of tricks up his sleeve. Even uberhomer Micheletti said that he thought that 4-0-1 surge was more of a mirage than anything else, due to Lundqvist's superb netminding over those five games.