Report: New Jersey Wants Winter Classic

thelastonealive

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the NHL makes a Winter Classic in New Jersey WITHOUT the Devils, it will be pretty damn outrageous. It's like maing it in Buffalo without the Sabres. I've never even been to NJ and I would be totally pissed in that kind of a situation, I can't imagine how you guys would feel. But honestly, if it does come to the Giants stadium, I think the league will have to include the Devils (and if a player of the decade isn't good enough to market this sh!t, I don't know who is).

Sadly I can totally see it happening considering we have two NFL teams that play here and neither call themselves New Jersey. I remember watching a Giants game about a month ago and they showed the Brooklyn Bridge and the announcer said "one of the many sights here in Manhattan" when he wasn't even in the same state as Manhattan. So frustrating.

http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2009/12/29/report-new-jersey-wants-winter-classic/

I say do it. Especially if they're gonna oversaturate and do two of them next year like rumored, then the "ratings will suck" issue is at least toned down some.

I doubt it would actually happen, given the Devils relationship with the Meadowlands, the resistance to using a third sweater (would we really do the green ones again less than a year after using them for "one night only"?), and the fact that I entirely expect Rangers/Caps next year; but still...fun to dream.

Yes, This!

No more baseball stadiums, please! Wrigley and Fenway were great because of their classic, legendary status in North American sports. But please dont include the likes of citi field and coors field in with the winter classic. Poor sightlines and distant crowds take away from it. Put the WC back in football stadiums

or how about just hold it at raceway park?

going from wrigley and fenway to rutgers stadium seems very unlikely to me. every city has venues of this sort that would be available, and new jersey would be way down on the list.

Edited by Triumph

or how about just hold it at raceway park?

going from wrigley and fenway to rutgers stadium seems very unlikely to me. every city has venues of this sort that would be available, and new jersey would be way down on the list.

I'm saying if the idea is to have it in NJ, then those two venues are preferable given the size of the facility for viewing purposes and not having an NFL conflict on or around January 1. The reality is that NJ won't have a home game in the WC.

No more baseball stadiums, please! Wrigley and Fenway were great because of their classic, legendary status in North American sports. But please dont include the likes of citi field and coors field in with the winter classic. Poor sightlines and distant crowds take away from it. Put the WC back in football stadiums

Why are there "poor sightlines" at Citi Field? Do hockey fans really need to see the corners of the outfield? Not saying I want it in Queens but that argument is lazy and irrelevant when it comes to a potential Winter Classic.

Why are there "poor sightlines" at Citi Field? Do hockey fans really need to see the corners of the outfield? Not saying I want it in Queens but that argument is lazy and irrelevant when it comes to a potential Winter Classic.

Yeah, with respect to poor sightlines in CitiField, I would imagine it's those seats that would actually have decent sightlines for a hockey game. I was in section 521 for a Mets game this season, and left to left-center fields are cut off. While the distance might suck a little, you'll have a full view of the ice that people in lower sections wouldn't have.

I think what he was saying is that baseball stadiums in general provide poor sightlines for a hockey game, which is true--look how far away the rink is from a lot of the fans.

I think what he was saying is that baseball stadiums in general provide poor sightlines for a hockey game, which is true--look how far away the rink is from a lot of the fans.

Unless there's a stadium built specifically for outdoor hockey, this will always happen.

When they played in Buffalo and Edmonton's football stadiums, all seats were far away from the ice. In a baseball stadium, behind home plate is a kinda far (I'd guess probably about as far as sideline seats at a football field) and the outfield seats are way far away from the ice. But the seats by first and third bases are a lot closer than any seats in any football stadium would ever be.

It's a case where both have their pros and cons, but the NFL's conflicting schedule pretty much shuts the door on their venues hosting future WCs. And with the exception of South Bend or the Big House, I don't see the NHL knocking down the doors of any cold-weather college football stadiums. (And the NHL teams closest to those stadiums just played in last year's WC.)

The problem is at this point, you've exhausted the baseball stadiums with the biggest visual appeal (the ivy and the green monster).

I would think that soccer-specific stadiums would be the best for the WC in terms of sight lines and availability... problem is they're just so small... the biggest NHL arena is bigger than the smallest MLS stadium.

Edited by David Puddy

The problem is at this point, you've exhausted the baseball stadiums with the biggest visual appeal (the ivy and the green monster).

I would think that soccer-specific stadiums would be the best for the WC in terms of sight lines and availability... problem is they're just so small... the biggest NHL arena is bigger than the smallest MLS stadium.

probably true. truth is (and this doesn't really speak to your point), the nhl doesn't care whether people can see the game or not, because these games will sell out every time regardless.

Edited by Triumph

At some point, the NHL isn't going to be able to one-up themselves by choosing a sexier venue, so they better hope the game has established itself on its own merit by then. The novelty will wear off eventually.

that's decades down the road. you think if the nhl went back to wrigley field in 10 years that it wouldn't sell out, assuming the hawks are still pretty good?

the new years game cracks me up, i miss it every year starts at like 9am out here in the west...that's just not going to happen for the people out her in this time zone.

no wonder the ratings are not that great when half the country is not even up from the previous nights festivities. :devil:

Could merchandise sales have to do with the teams selected? Anyone know where the Devils rank in that category? I can't imagine too low because didn't the Canadiens GM say that he was impressed with all of the jerseys in the stands after the 1/2/09 game. :noclue:

worst case scenario:Bettman/nhl/nbc agree2 hav the WC@ Giant/Jet stadium but insists it is rags vs caps w/the rags being the home team...njsea&Bergen cty. offials would luv2 stick it 2Lou &MrVBK &NBC would sell it as WC in NY W/theNY skyline as the backdrop. Sad to think but this could happen, the nhl wants the Rags back in the spotlite,Why I have no clue. :(

worst case scenario:Bettman/nhl/nbc agree2 hav the WC@ Giant/Jet stadium but insists it is rags vs caps w/the rags being the home team...njsea&Bergen cty. offials would luv2 stick it 2Lou &MrVBK &NBC would sell it as WC in NY W/theNY skyline as the backdrop. Sad to think but this could happen, the nhl wants the Rags back in the spotlite,Why I have no clue. :(

How about Caps vs Devils at RFK Stadium in DC?!?!?

Hey guys first time poster, long time lurker... christ that sounds like a bad Mike & the Maddog caller.

If we were to ever get it and Giants Stadium was unavailable, how about the new Red Bull Arena in Harrison. Capacity is 25,000 and looks like the sight lines would be great.

Redbullarenainterior11062009.jpg

Could merchandise sales have to do with the teams selected? Anyone know where the Devils rank in that category? I can't imagine too low because didn't the Canadiens GM say that he was impressed with all of the jerseys in the stands after the 1/2/09 game. :noclue:

I remember seeing a very detailed list or set of lists about a year ago showing merchandise sales in the NHL. I think it included top NHL jersey sales by player, or something like that. But I'm having the damndest time finding it again. Help, anyone?

For what it's worth, in my search to find this list again, I've found a couple stories referring to NHL merch sales numbers in recent years, and top sellers consistently seem to coincide with release of third jerseys, especially retro-themed ones (like the Flyers).