DEVILS ACQUIRE MARTIN SKOULA

Weekes Head

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you may wanna try a different board lol. Fitting name though, seeing as how Rolston plays like one.

Nope. I like this board JUUUUUUUST fine thank you very much. =) There is nothing wrong with Rolston. It's everyone else that doesn't step up to the plate.

Nope. I like this board JUUUUUUUST fine thank you very much. =) There is nothing wrong with Rolston. It's everyone else that doesn't step up to the plate.

I like the loyalty. :thumbsup:

But if Lou could trade Rolston for a half-eaten hot dog, I'd be estatic.

Maybe at Dinner Time @ the Rolston Family Home.... but not on the 2008 - 2010 NJ Devils.

yeeech. guy is signed as an afterthought because 900 Penguins D are injured, then he's traded as a cap weight balancer, and we decide we need him... because? it's only a 5, but he's the 7th defenseman on the current roster and 8th on a healthy one.

Take it for what it's worth, here's a post from InLouWeTrust scouting Skoula as a potential free agent pickup last year:

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2009/5/31/894333/fa-defensemen-the-devils-martin

The word on Skoula is that he's a two-way defenseman. He's got good size, he has remained healthy throughout his career, and he takes very few penalties. He played 19:57/game on average last season, so the minutes justify a top 4 position as stated by his report. Yet, there's not a whole lot to like about Skoula beyond all that.

For starters, that same scouting report notes his weaknesses include "Still gets himself caught out of position too often, or makes the wrong play at the wrong time." If it's so noticible that it's in a scouting report, that's bad. Furthermore, Skoula hasn't put up more than 20 points in a season since 2005-06, so I question whether he can really produce (and before you say it's a result of him being on Minnesota, read on for Bergeron and Foster).

His even strength numbers at Behind the Net provide evidence against him being a productive two-way defenseman. When he's on the ice, the goals for per 60 minutes drop from an already-low 2.15 to an even worse 1.93. Shots for per 60 minutes drop from 24.5 to 23.6 when Skoula hits the ice. Yes, the shots against per 60 minutes do fall from 28 to 27.2 when Skoula is out there; yet the goals against per 60 minutes rise from 2.01 to 2.61. All this for someone who isn't facing the best opposition, the quality of competition for Skoula is fourth among regular defensmen. These numbers are not really endearing me to the idea of Skoula as a Devil, admittedly.

Most of all, though, is the opinion of the Wild faithful who had seen Skoula all season. At Hockey Wilderness, when Nathan questioned whether Marek Zidlicky was their worst defenseman, it was revealed that worst relative +/- belonged to Skoula - along with an agreement that Skoula was poor. This sentiment returned when buddhafisch evaluated whether or not Skoula should be re-signed, the answer was essentially a "hell no."

Other than the fact that Skoula may be had for $2.5 million for less, I don't see any real reason why the Devils should make a move to sign him. Maybe if no one else is left who can play 18-20 minutes a night, though I'm sure Wild fans would argue that he can't really do that anyway. He's about to turn 30 this season, so it's not as if there would be any expectation he should get better.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

he's junk that was a Lemaire favorite. isn't an upgrade on anyone we will put out there with a healthy roster. that he's a Lemaire favorite is scary, because he may actually use him more extensively than you'd expect.

Edited by maxpower

"With Skoula we got a big body who can play defense. What he can do is kill penalties and he plays the system we play, which is very important to me when you get a player this late in the season. In that regard, he was above all the others who we maybe could have gotten."

That means the Devils did not have a shot at bringing Scott Niedermayer back to New Jersey.

Skoula, who played for coach Jacques Lemaire in Minnesota, started the day with the Pittsburgh Penguins. He had eight points (three goals, five assists) in 33 games with the Pens this season.

First, Skoula was sent to the Maple Leafs with forward Luca Caputi for Alexei Ponikarovsky.

Then, Leafs GM Brian Burke dealt Skoula to the Devils.

"He's experienced with size and strength," Lamoriello said. "Certainly Jacques knows him. He played for Jacques in Minnesota and he certainly can help us. In my opinion, I'm sure he'll get in the lineup. How he plays will determine if he stays. In my mind he could be a fifth or sixth defenseman."

"With Skoula we got a big body who can play defense. What he can do is kill penalties and he plays the system we play, which is very important to me when you get a player this late in the season. In that regard, he was above all the others who we maybe could have gotten."

Translation: "Meh. It was either Skoula or nothing and, according to our scouts, nothing doesn't know how to play Jacques' system."

Martin

Greene

Salvador

White

Fraser

Mottau

I was at the last game of the playoffs last year and had to see Slappy White and Havelid cost us the game and series. I NEVER want to be in that position again. I am afraid that we are destined to go down that road potentially with this stiff!

Salmela

so, to you, Skoula isn't better than Motts or Salmela?

I was at the last game of the playoffs last year and had to see Slappy White and Havelid cost us the game and series. I NEVER want to be in that position again. I am afraid that we are destined to go down that road potentially with this stiff!