New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some sour grapes in there, but he does hit on some interesting points ... like the role of Devils ownership in the signing and Kovalchuk having no track record of big-game success.

Put Parise on atlanta since he came to the NHL, and I'll bet he doesn't have a much better 'big game' record than kovy. Yes I think zach's a more complete player, but I definitely think kovy hasn't seen enough big games to have really become comfortable playing in them.

Kovy for conn smythe 2011 (wishful, at best)

There's some sour grapes in there, but he does hit on some interesting points ... like the role of Devils ownership in the signing and Kovalchuk having no track record of big-game success.

When they win something, then they can sit at the big kids table.

I go back and forth on the notion of how much Vanderbeek was pushing for this over Lou's objections. Kovalchuk is certainly a big name, but really only in hockey circles. Once the novelty wears off, if it hasn't already, Kovy won't draw any more fans. I don't think Vanderbeek is so dense as to not realize this (or look at last year's attendance figures and see that the trade wasn't an enormous attendance boon). And as Sundstrom has noted, making a Russian guy the centerpiece of your franchise over a young American who was something of a national hero only a few months ago isn't the best marketing decision you can make.

I think it was obviously a collaborative effort between Lou and Vanderbeek, but I'm speculating that ultimately Lou had veto power over how to proceed.

It'll be great seeing what he can do with a full season on the team. I think we'll see a Kovy who is a lot more committed to being a Devil and finding his niche in the system.

I go back and forth on the notion of how much Vanderbeek was pushing for this over Lou's objections. Kovalchuk is certainly a big name, but really only in hockey circles. Once the novelty wears off, if it hasn't already, Kovy won't draw any more fans. I don't think Vanderbeek is so dense as to not realize this (or look at last year's attendance figures and see that the trade wasn't an enormous attendance boon). And as Sundstrom has noted, making a Russian guy the centerpiece of your franchise over a young American who was something of a national hero only a few months ago isn't the best marketing decision you can make.

I think it was obviously a collaborative effort between Lou and Vanderbeek, but I'm speculating that ultimately Lou had veto power over how to proceed.

the devils will have better attendance next year than they had this year, and you can write that down.

the devils will have better attendance next year than they had this year, and you can write that down.

I think you're right, but only because they'll be a better team, and yes, that will be IN PART because of Kovalchuk. My point is that Kovalchuk will not boost attendance simply by being there. I'm hoping that Vanderbeek recognized that and doesn't make this Kovalchuk's team.

If he scores 65 goals and has 120 points, it won't do anything for attendance if the team isn't good.

I love this piece by the Rags official crybaby Scotty Hockey on his blog on the Kovy signing.

Scotty Hockey Whining

This guy is all sour grapes. He should remove tht sty from his eye first. Jokinen(I know he's back in CGY), Gaborik haven't delivered crap. it's not our fault we got a dynamic winger in FA and they got Frankenstein)Boogard)

I think you're right, but only because they'll be a better team, and yes, that will be IN PART because of Kovalchuk. My point is that Kovalchuk will not boost attendance simply by being there. I'm hoping that Vanderbeek recognized that and doesn't make this Kovalchuk's team.

If he scores 65 goals and has 120 points, it won't do anything for attendance if the team isn't good.

the devils won the division last year. i don't even think they will be very much better than last year, honestly. it will be because of kovalchuk.

I think you're right, but only because they'll be a better team, and yes, that will be IN LARGE PART because of Kovalchuk. My point is that Kovalchuk will not boost attendance simply by being there. I'm hoping that Vanderbeek recognized that and doesn't make this Kovalchuk's team.

Fixed.

This guy is all sour grapes. He should remove tht sty from his eye first. Jokinen(I know he's back in CGY), Gaborik haven't delivered crap. it's not our fault we got a dynamic winger in FA and they got Frankenstein)Boogard)

Gaborik was a great signing, and has delivered in the department he was brought in to help. Offense. He's got flaws, but if Kovy puts up the numbers Gaborik was at least on pace to put up (50 goals, 100 points) before he got hurt, we'll be happy.

I disagree with this.

A 50 goal scorer is not a novelty. He'll bring excitement.

Oh also...this is now the greatest thread ever. With all the twists and turns and the him finally signing with the Devs out of nowhere...

has there been word on how many years and for how much... they said 17 years for over 150 million?

If there is, trust that ESPN will be the last to report it.

the devils won the division last year. i don't even think they will be very much better than last year, honestly. it will be because of kovalchuk.

True (that happens every year it seems) but the team was, at best, mediocre in the second half, which is when interest is supposed to pick up.

While it might not be as noticeable in the point total at the end of the year, I think the coaching is better (not saying that Johnny Mac is going to be awesome, just that you can't do much worse than Lemaire last year), and even without Martin, the defense is improved (but I have an irrational hatred of Martin).