New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

I read in the CBA, well, I'll just paste it here and say I think the NHL cannot call ANY back after 2 months from approving it since I think that would violate the highlighted part below.

(b) Subsequent Challenge and/or De-Registration of SPCs.

Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Section 11.6, an approved and registered SPC may be subject to subsequent challenge and/or de-registration by the League: (i) in the case of a Circumvention relating to either the Club Upper Limit or the Maximum Player Salary, within sixty (60) days from the date upon which the facts of the Circumvention became known or reasonably should have been known to the NHL, ...

I mean damn! even throwing them a few weeks as a bone to really pour over the details means the NHL SHOULD know about any circumvention details in any of those other contracts LONG AGO.

asses.

That implies to me "60 days from learning of possible circumvention" not "60 days from contract being approved". I So basically they can call back any of the previously named contracts as long as it is done within 60 days of identifying a possible circumvention issue. Which is probably why the named contracts have been named...they are covering their arses.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If those numbers are true, count me as officially 'worried'

Maybe the 5 days is a matter of the NHL (like they did with the Luongo contract supposedly) is calling Lou saying, "Drop from $11M, please."

I don't like that this contract hits such a peak

Edited by njdevsfn95

That implies to me "60 days from learning of possible circumvention" not "60 days from contract being approved". I So basically they can call back any of the previously named contracts as long as it is done within 60 days of identifying a possible circumvention issue. Which is probably why the named contracts have been named...they are covering their arses.

Yeah but the part where it says "or reasonably should have been known to the NHL, " to me says that the NHL should be held accountable to review the contract and IDENTIFY possible circumvention issue in a timely manner.

I mean, come on, read the damn thing and go "that aint right, we call shenanigans!" in like a months time TOPS!

They really don't have to cover their asses and name contracts.

REALLY the NHLPA needs to nut up and tell the NHL to SHOVE IT with their Under Investigation crap.

He's 27, he can be "reprogrammed". That's the great thing. People moaned and groaned about Mogilny when he was traded to the Devils that he was this and that and he was able to fit quite well and he was a "programmed" veteran. He's probably never been coached with a staff as he's about to have, either. Kovalchuk reminds me of the kid on the team with so much talent, the coaches just let him use it and win them games and it seems to have followed him to the NHL, especially being in Atlanta. Not like the Thrashers were going to keep him from doing what he does best to win, especially when they weren't good enough to.

mogilny was miles ahead of kovalchuk when it came to hockey awareness. while i think he'll get better, he'll never be good.

Besides, this is the new NHL. To win the Cup you need elite talent. Do you want an elite goal scorer who is a threat every shift or do you want another gifted player reduced into a checking winger to fit into a system that no longer works in the NHL? With is talent and speed, his two-way play can be corrected enough to not turn him into a 20 goal scorer.

i agree with you. but ilya kovalchuk is not anything better than average at anything besides goal scoring.

Of course, players decline at certain ages. The three players you used as an example and compare them to their primes, what do you think they are going to do? Put up 70 goals/100 points at 35+ at the same rate as their younger "prime" years? However, those three players were still productive and in some cases turned back the clock. If Kovalchuk puts up Hull numbers at 36-39 or hits Selanne's goal mark, i'd be thrilled.

Jagr:

Year Age

2005-06 33 NYR 54 69 123

2006-07 34 NYR 30 66 96

2007-08 35 NYR 25 46 71

Selanne:

2005-06 35 ANA 40 50 90

2006-07 36 ANA 48 46 94

Hull:

2000-01 36 DAL 39 40 79

2001-02 37 DET 30 33 63

2002-03 38 DET 37 39 76

2003-04 39 DET 25 43 68

selanne and jagr both benefited from the league becoming a power play league in 2005-06 and 2006-07. their scoring rates would look a lot different with power plays in the 2010 range. then there's people like kariya, bure, neely, bossy, leclair, etc. i am comparing him to the best-case scenarios, and even those aren't perfectly rosy. if this goes through, it won't look great in 5 years, but hopefully there's a stanley cup to make it all better.

Edited by Triumph

7 million in the last 2 years is significant money. It'd be very hard for an arbitrator to believe it is likely Kovy has no incentive to play the contract out to the end. Kovy may not, but the incentive is there for him to so it'd be unreasonable to assume he won't.

if this goes through, it won't look great in 5 years, but hopefully there's a stanley cup.

In 5 years Kovy's cap hit will most likely be much farther down the list of cap hits around the league, so even if his play declines, his space relative to the cap should also be declining.

You guys are way off base if you think a guy like Kovalchuk can be reprogrammed to anything other - than MAYBE taking shorter shifts. You're going to threaten a 15/100mil player with a trade if they don't back check hard enough. That's not what you're paying for.

We gave you the money YOU wanted, now do as WE say. That's how it works. Unless you live under a rock.

In other words, we have just hired a highly talented person at a high salary, for the good of the company, we will employ you to reach OUR goals, and not yours (that is what you are paid for and that is why we hired you). Because you have already reached your goal by getting the job and the high salary in the first place. Now you are obligated by signing the contract to do what you were hired for, for the good of the company.

i agree with you. but ilya kovalchuk is not anything better than average at anything besides goal scoring.

And by goal scoring to you mean shooting the puck in the net? If so then you are wrong. He is a top offensive skater and a top puck handler...I guess your still going to argue that?

Edited by ben00rs

You guys are way off base if you think a guy like Kovalchuk can be reprogrammed to anything other - than MAYBE taking shorter shifts. You're going to threaten a 15/100mil player with a trade if they don't back check hard enough. That's not what you're paying for.

The idea is that he will want to improve his game and work hard at it.

I just want the announcement already!

I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Gary Buttman is a dickbag.

thatisall.

Oh, and someone needs to feed this hostage, she's wasting away to nothin.

The idea is that he will want to improve his game and work hard at it.

yeah, what's up with all the negative nancies?!

kovalckuck's a beast...i just want this to be over so i can order my Kovalchuck Army t-shirt and buy tickets to the game in LA

If the league screws us again, i'm out...done...

they won't be getting any of my support or $$$ next year.

Edited by ice dog

If they addressed every reason Bloch cited as being circumvention....it would be mighty hard for the NHL to make another case.

Lou looks pretty smart getting a player like this for 6.66 mil a year if it goes through. This will be a significant point in Lou's legacy.

Edited by oofrostonoo

If they addressed every reason Bloch cited as being circumvention....it would be mighty hard for the NHL to make another case.

Lou looks pretty smart getting a player like this for 6.66 mil a year if it goes through. This will be a significant point in Lou's legacy.

agreed! and is that pic from a Kid Cudi album?

Looked at from a unique perspective, Lou may have been in control the whole time. By submitting a ridiculous contract and going to arbitration and losing he forced and arbitrator to lay out exactly how a long contract can be approved. Now Lou is able to submit another long deal but this time following all the guidelines laid out for him. This 15 year deal is more likely to be accepted after a rejected first attempt at 17 years than at being submitted as the original proposal.

RAP IS GOOD

kid cudi is like progressive rap fusion stoner idk how you would describe it.

Yes my icon is from his album.... Cudi is sick. I'd say hipster-stoner -dance rap. He's done some colabs with MGMT & Ratatat... sampled some vampire weekend & LCD Soundsystem.

Doesn't rap about money, guns, or rims....

http://www.vevo.com/watch/kid-cudi/pursuit-of-happiness/USUV70904285

http://vimeo.com/9525014

Back to topic....

I don't think Lou would have planned on putting that 17 year deal out as some sacrificial contract. This has dragged on all summer and I'm sure has a few players on the Devils wondering where they will be playing next year. Doesn't seem like a Lou move to knowingly keep players wondering where they are playing next year....