2016 Draft

Jas0nMacIsaac

Assuming most of the top forwards are gone (Matthews, Puljujarvi, Laine, Tkachuk, Dubois, etc.) by the time the Devils pick, would it be a mistake to take Sergachev? Given our prospect pool, it seems like we need to take a forward in the first round, but Sergachev seems like the real deal.

Published this Mock Draft today, check it out if you'd like :)

2016 NHL Mock Draft - March 23rd

1. TOR - Auston Matthews, C, Zurich (SUI)
2. EDM - Patrik Laine, LW/RW, Tappara (FIN)
3. WPG - Jesse Puljujarvi, C/RW, Karpat (FIN)
4. VAN - Jakob Chychrun, D, Sarnia (OHL)
5. CBJ - Matthew Tkachuk, LW, London (OHL)
6. CGY - Alexander Nylander, RW, Mississauga (OHL)
7. BUF - Olli Juolevi, D, London (OHL)
8. ARZ - Pierre-Luc Dubois, LW, Cape Breton (QMJHL)
9. MTL - Julien Gauthier, C/RW, Val-d’Or (QMJHL)
10. OTT - Mikhail Sergachev, D, Windsor (OHL)
12. NJ - Clayton Keller, C, USA U-18 (USDP)

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1

My Devils mock draft: (Assuming Toronto gives us their 3rd) FIRST THREE ROUNDS

11th overall - Tyson Jost C BCHL: When you are picking outside top 10 you take slightly larger risks to get the high impact players you missed out on. Tyson Jost, had he taken the WHL route, may have gone top 5. He still may go top 5. Explosive offensive center with an NHL shot. Hockey sense is a plus as well.

41st overall - Samuel Girard D QMJHL: We haven't gone for a homerun pick on the blueline in some time. Girard is one of the top two offensive defensmen in the draft however he is clearly undersized. At 5'`10 you are getting a large discount however his skating and offensive creativity is something we are lacking on the back end.

60th overall - Sam Steel C WHL: Every year you get undersized players who drop, Sam Steel didn't have the type of season many expected going into the year. Similar player to Blake Speers. An all situation player who has excellent skills, playmaking ability and a calming presence. Needs to improve strength.

70th overall - Stefan Falkowsky D OHL: Why not go for another homerun, 6'7 defensmen who is slightly older in the OHL but had an excellent season. A good skater who has a lot of room to improve, I know this represents the old school of though, big defensmen who can skate but in 3rd round, why not.

75th overall - Janne Kuokkanen RW Liiga Jr-Finland: Very good offensive skills and hockey sense, knows how to find soft spots in the offensive zone. Not the biggest or fastest skater. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

My Devils mock draft: (Assuming Toronto gives us their 3rd) FIRST THREE ROUNDS

11th overall - Tyson Jost C BCHL: When you are picking outside top 10 you take slightly larger risks to get the high impact players you missed out on. Tyson Jost, had he taken the WHL route, may have gone top 5. He still may go top 5. Explosive offensive center with an NHL shot. Hockey sense is a plus as well.

41st overall - Samuel Girard D QMJHL: We haven't gone for a homerun pick on the blueline in some time. Girard is one of the top two offensive defensmen in the draft however he is clearly undersized. At 5'`10 you are getting a large discount however his skating and offensive creativity is something we are lacking on the back end.

60th overall - Sam Steel C WHL: Every year you get undersized players who drop, Sam Steel didn't have the type of season many expected going into the year. Similar player to Blake Speers. An all situation player who has excellent skills, playmaking ability and a calming presence. Needs to improve strength.

70th overall - Stefan Falkowsky D OHL: Why not go for another homerun, 6'7 defensmen who is slightly older in the OHL but had an excellent season. A good skater who has a lot of room to improve, I know this represents the old school of though, big defensmen who can skate but in 3rd round, why not.

75th overall - Janne Kuokkanen RW Liiga Jr-Finland: Very good offensive skills and hockey sense, knows how to find soft spots in the offensive zone. Not the biggest or fastest skater. 

I'd be very happy if this are our pre-4th round draftees.  I particularly like the contrast between Falkowsky and Girard.  Even if only one of them develops, we might hit a homerun there.  

Obviously I think we would like to have been higher than pick 11, but Jost seems like a surprisingly good pick.  Is he a right handed shot?  

• 2 weeks later...

Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Dubois, Chychrun, Nylander, Sergachev, Juolevi seems to be a pretty consistent top 9.

Would be happy if any of these guys falls to 10-12, where NJ is likely to pick. Honestly, I would prefer taking Sergachev over some of the forwards ranked lower.

Also, still looking at Dmitry Sokolov for the second round.

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So we're gonna pick 11th.... 1st if we're REALLY lucky... and 12th if someone else is even more lucky.

I guess at that spot Jost is who we should be hoping for

Not sure what the odds are that it's second or third, but I imagine it's a better than remote chance, maybe 15%?  Looks like Laine and Pulujarvi will both be NHL ready to start next season too. 

While we're all dreaming big, I wonder what happens if the Devils somehow get the number 1 pick and Phoenix Arizona ends up with 2 or 3.  Does Phoenix Arizona hang up the phone immediately if you offer number 1 overall and Severson for Ekman-Larsson and 2 or 3? 

Edited by Daniel

Jost is who I'd like at #11, wouldn't be opposed to Keller as well. Gauthier if he falls to #11 would be intriguing as well, 6'4" pure goal scorer but I'd like someone with a bit more raw playmaking ability. Honestly though, a left shot defenseman wouldn't be a bad selection either, left side looks thin for the future if Merrill doesn't pick his game back up, at #11 you could have an outside shot at Sergachev (not likely), or Jake Bean.

20 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I think if you get the #1 overall pick, you take Matthews and run

Well i don't know. Let me ask you this and knowing what we know. If say last year you had 1st... and someone offered 2nd and 3rd.

That means you can have either McDavid OR Eichel and Strome. I'd have to think about that one for awhile i think.  

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

With the way Keller, Jost and Brown have been playing at the Under 18, i'm confident NJ will get a potential top 6 center or 1st line winger.

Nylander, Tkachuk, Keller, Brown or Jost. Just no Gauthier or McCleod and I'll be very happy

30 minutes ago, roomtemp said:

So how many forwards would have to be taken to make trading down the smart option?

I really think the Devils are in a good drafting spot no matter what, either we're getting a very good forward or, if literally every team before us wants a forward, we'll have a very good defenseman fall into our lap. For my money the Top 10 forwards in this draft are:

1. Auston Matthews
2. Patrik Laine
3. Jesse Puljujarvi
4. Matthew Tkachuk
5. Pierre-Luc Dubois
6. Alexander Nylander
7. Tyson Jost
8. Clayton Keller
9. Julien Gauthier
10. Logan Brown

Filter in Jakob Chychrun, Mikhail Sergachev, Olli Juolevi, and Jake Bean and you have your Top 14 for the Draft IMO. Mike McLeod likely goes 12th or 13th but I'm not a big fan of him, he's like a Boone Jenner type player which, there's nothing wrong with Boone Jenner, but the Devils need someone with some higher end offensive ability. That being said, if there's a good trade back option to back to say #22 and get Vitali Abramov instead, I'd consider it, but I like our outlook at #11.

EDIT: Also, I don't understand the disdain for Julien Gauthier. I agree, Devils need a playmaking forward, but what's the huge issue with a 6'4", 212 lb pure goal scorer? 41 goals in 54 games isn't really anything to scoff at.

Edited by CommonDreads

I saw a lot of Gauthier games in Val D'or and i dont want him. He is not a skill player. He has size and strenght and that why he was good in the Q. He has a good shot. His effort is ok... Actually, he has a lot of Anthony Mantha in him. When it was the time to play against the big team like the Huskies he didnt step up. Guys like Perron and Timmo Meirs were all over him.

Edited by caron14