Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

Ha. Yea I can't stand James Taylor either.
And what was the point of that? Boomer is a Rag fan and hates the Isles. How is that fair to their fan base? I mean Rangers fans were up in arms when Doc wore his Cup ring during the 2012 ECF.
Avs waived Eric Gelinas

I'd imagine the point was to plug their horrible show. Pretty sure they've done PBP for basketball games in the past too. Hopefully one day Carton says something offensive on the air like Imus did that gets them booted for good. I have no idea how those idiots get ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, '7' said:

And what was the point of that? Boomer is a Rag fan and hates the Isles. How is that fair to their fan base? I mean Rangers fans were up in arms when Doc wore his Cup ring during the 2012 ECF.

Avs waived Eric Gelinas

I don't mind Boomer, but Carton is torture.  And the best thing that will happen to the WFAN will be Francesa leaving in about a year.  That can't come soon enough; he's been so bad at his job for so long (he literally can barely string words together now without a smattering of "I mean"s and "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh"s in between) that I can't remember what it was like when he was a decent listen...or if he ever even WAS a decent listen.  He sounds like he's having an on-air stroke half the time. 

Anyway, re:  Gelinas, man has he fallen fast.  A guy who fetched a third-round pick just last season doesn't even get claimed now (he cleared).  Says a lot. 

For the hell of it, I checked out the active goalies list, as far as career wins go...here's the three guys who have an actual shot at 500 wins:

Luongo (37 years old):  941 regular season GP, 444 wins.  Should crack 1000 RSGP sometime next season barring injury, which only two players have done:  Roy (1029), and of course, Marty (1266).  Gotta think Luongo's got a good shot to crack 1100 RSGP, along with 500+ wins.  Pretty impressive for a guy who hasn't always played on good teams (especially early on).  He's played 159 games the past three seasons prior to this one, and isn't really showing signs of slowing up.   

Lundqvist (34 years old):  703 RSGP, 385 wins.  Despite being younger than Luongo, he's played in several more games in recent seasons, due to deep playoff runs...he's played in 81 playoff games in his last five seasons (by comparison, Luongo has played in 70 playoff games for his entire career).  And Lundqvist has already shown some slight signs of decline...enough that the Rangers have spoken of trying to reduce his workload. 

Fleury (32 years old):  669 RSGP, 364 wins.  If you didn't know much about him, you'd think he could get to 500 wins blindfolded...except that the goalie-win-gravy-train that is the Penguins might be letting Fleury off at the next stop; of course, on that front, it's a bit complicated, in that he's signed through 2019 and has a NMC...but Matt Murray was the one who backstopped the Penguins to a Cup last season, and so far is outplaying Fleury this season.  Fleury has been a pretty good and reasonably consistent goalie in the regular season as a Penguin (though never really great), but has had some brutal playoffs...there's definitely a bit of "right place right time" vibe with MAF, as far as his lofty win totals go...one wonders if he's capable of maintaining anything close to this pace with a different cast in front of him, on another team.   

16 minutes ago, '7' said:

Quick could be in that discussion as well, but he's got to play into his late 30's and remain healthy. He'd be the youngest of the group you mentioned CR at only 30 but has 252 wins.

I think you gotta be approaching 400 wins by around your middle 30s to be in the conversation.  Too many "maybes" otherwise...not saying Quick can't possibly flirt with 500 eventually, but just that it's way too early to know when he's barely halfway there (he's already missed significant time this season).  Hell, out of the three I mentioned, I'd say Luongo's the only one that I feel strongly will get it done (as long as he's healthy and effective, he'll be in the mid-to-high 460s by season's end, minimum).  I think the other two are going to fall short:  Lundqvist due to decline (though he should finish with at least 460), and MAF due to playing elsewhere and general circumstances, for a team that won't be as good. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think Lundqvists days of being a .920+ goalie are finally over thankfully. I'm only upset because his decline hasn't come fast enough. 

He's still plenty good. But just giving him the eyeball test watching him he seems slower reacting.

To be honest with what he gave them, I am surprised they didn't win a Cup between 2009-2015. Not that they didn't try but...I will concede they were sometimes unlucky (such as the poor OT playoff record where he was constantly under siege) and sometimes very lucky (2015 series vs Washington. But moreso unlucky

2014 vs the Kings was pretty much Mets-Royals. A short series between even teams where one team is historically unlucky.

Edited by '7'

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'd imagine the point was to plug their horrible show. Pretty sure they've done PBP for basketball games in the past too. Hopefully one day Carton says something offensive on the air like Imus did that gets them booted for good. I have no idea how those idiots get ratings.

I won't turn this into a radio discussion, but I for one love their show, and listen to it every morning for about an hour before I get to work.  Not sure what people dislike -- I find their personalities pretty refreshing and down to earth.  Boomer also seems like a really class guy, and probably one of the hardest working guys in show business.  I knew it was a pretty natural fit when he started doing weekly appearances on the Jim Rome Show, another show I really love.  

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Avs waived Eric Gelinas

I think it was a combination of things - 1) Plug there show (what's wrong with that?) 2) Do something different 3) Carton's an Islander fan  4) Boomer's from the island, though yes, he's a Rags fan.

6 minutes ago, '7' said:

I think Lundqvists days of being a .920+ goalie are finally over thankfully. I'm only upset because his decline hasn't come fast enough. 

He's still plenty good. But just giving him the eyeball test watching him he seems slower reacting.

To be honest with what he gave them, I am surprised they didn't win a Cup between 2009-2015. Not that they didn't try but...I will concede they were sometimes unlucky (such as the poor OT playoff record where he was constantly under siege) and sometimes very lucky (2015 series vs Washington. But moreso unlucky

2014 vs the Kings was pretty much Mets-Royals. A short series between even teams where one team is historically unlucky.

Part of the Rangers' problem was that they just played too many damned games and long series from '11-'12 to '14-'15.  76 games with a record of 39-37.  A total of (7) seven-game series, and two more that went six, out of 11 playoff series total.  That's really hard to overcome if you're trying to win a Cup. 

I think it was a combination of things - 1) Plug there show (what's wrong with that?) 2) Do something different 3) Carton's an Islander fan  4) Boomer's from the island, though yes, he's a Rags fan.

Carton claims to hate hockey and sh!ts on it every chance he gets. He ain't no Islander fan.

To each their own, but I can't stand them, particularly Carton. I respect Boomer as a hockey fan because he is a true Rag fan who lives and dies with his team, but his constant Rag pom pom waving is just unbearable. Carton is just an a$$hole who tries way too hard- his schtick is incredibly annoying and I don't find him to be funny.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Carton claims to hate hockey and sh!ts on it every chance he gets. He ain't no Islander fan.

I know.  While on the one hand I think he truly likes other sports a lot more, mainly football and baseball, perhaps even basketball, I think his "nobody likes hockey" is more of a schtick than anything else, and more or less a reflection of the often poor ratings the sport receives, at least in the somewhat recent past.  I think he acknowledges and even likes that the Stanley Cup playoffs are probably the best thing in all of sports.  And even if any of that really is true, it doesn't stop Boomer from talking hockey, and I find his passion for the Rangers admirable and cool, especially since he got paid to play a completely different sport as a professional.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

To each their own, but I can't stand them, particularly Carton. I respect Boomer as a hockey fan because he is a true Rag fan who lives and dies with his team, but his constant Rag pom pom waving is just unbearable. Carton is just an a$$hole who tries way too hard- his schtick is incredibly annoying and I don't find him to be funny.

lol, can't believe we both used the schtick line.  Amazing.  At least we're on the same wavelength, even if we have a different opinion of it :)

EDIT: And for the record, schtick isn't a word I use often at all, and I was contemplating how to spell/write it lol

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 2

lol, can't believe we both used the schtick line.  Amazing.  At least we're on the same wavelength, even if we have a different opinion of it [emoji4]
EDIT: And for the record, schtick isn't a word I use often at all, and I was contemplating how to spell/write it lol

Haha that word is the first one that popped to mind regarding Carton- I think it's all mostly 'schtick' with him, but it just rubs me the wrong way- the guy just annoys the hell outta me lol. I used to listen, but I haven't listened to a minute of that show in at least two and a half years. The only time I tune in now is the day after the Rags get eliminated from the playoffs, for obvious reasons. [emoji1]

28 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Haha that word is the first one that popped to mind regarding Carton- I think it's all mostly 'schtick' with him, but it just rubs me the wrong way- the guy just annoys the hell outta me lol. I used to listen, but I haven't listened to a minute of that show in at least two and a half years. The only time I tune in now is the day after the Rags get eliminated from the playoffs, for obvious reasons. emoji1.png

The best is when Henrique scored in Game 6 you could see a very dejected Boomer sitting directly behind the glass in his Rangers hat.

• Like 1

It's always cool to see the emergency backup goalie thing happen, and see the closest schmuck to the arena with a set of pads get to dress with an NHL team, but it's extra cool when that schmuck was the goaltender at your college while you were there. Chicago had to pull someone off the street in Philly because of Crawford's appendicitis. Not that I knew who he was, but he wore his Temple mask for warm-ups, and that's about the coolest god damn thing I personally could see in an NHL rink. Patrick Kane was taking shots at what I can safely assume is the first Temple alum to dress in an NHL game. What a week for Temple sports.

Not really all that relevant, but UPenn's basketball team has a freshman named Brodeur on the squad. They were playing Temple today, and on the radio they were pronouncing it the same way Marty does, and it was WEIRD hearing Brodeur on the play by play. I caught the end of the game on TV, and those broadcasters were pronouncing it more anglophonic (as if it was spelled Broter). I wonder if there's a relation, but obviously it's unlikely.

Even less relevant, but the kid is good. If there are any basketball fans, try to check his highlights. Real old school post player. I would've loved watching him play if he was playing anyone else.

Edited by thecoffeecake

My assumption at this point is Patty is done. He said he'd only play for us and we now have enough depth on the wing that we let a young player go on waivers. Unless there is an extraordinary injury situation I don't see him dressing for us again.

Maybe the last home game against the Isles, if we're in a situation with nothing to play for or lose, we sign him for a day and give him a send off game. But even that is probably highly unlikely.

14 hours ago, jagknife said:

here ya go, nothing new though, and not sure about that 31st thing, where did you hear anything about that date?

I thought it was part of the CBA- you can't sit out until the spring and jump on a team. I thought that the date to be signed to play this season was 12/31.

This is a weird, and obviously unfortunate, ending for Elias, if it really is over and we've seen his last game.  I'd be curious to know how he's spending his days.  Is he working out, i.e. in the gym?  Is he skating and practicing with the team?  Is he attending team meetings and functions?  If he's doing any of that, even if just one of them, it probably points to his desire to return to the team, and if that's true then I'd really be curious to see how much time he might have before he's fully healed and/or capable of actually fully practicing or even playing.  

EDIT: I just looked at team's official website and he's not listed as being on the roster, yet a guy like Marc Savard is.  That can't be good.  Does anyone know what his official status is?  Because it doesn't look like he's on IR.  Is he a UFA and therefore not on any team at the moment?

Edited by NJDfan1711

2 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

I think for RFA's you have until the New Year to sign, or else you can't be under contract until the summer, for UFA's I think you have until the Trade Deadline to sign a contract.

I think the rule for UFA's is you need to be signed before the trade deadline to be eligible for the playoffs. I think Ottawa signed Gomez after the deadline but he wasn't eligible to be placed on the playoff roster. 

8 hours ago, dmann422 said:

My assumption at this point is Patty is done. He said he'd only play for us and we now have enough depth on the wing that we let a young player go on waivers. Unless there is an extraordinary injury situation I don't see him dressing for us again.

Maybe the last home game against the Isles, if we're in a situation with nothing to play for or lose, we sign him for a day and give him a send off game. But even that is probably highly unlikely.

This is my take as well. It's bittersweet. On one hand it's a good thing he can't crack the lineup. Otoh it's the end of an era as Elias is obviously the last player left from the cup teams. He's also probably always going to be my favorite F. Hall or any future offensive star will have big shoes to fill to overtake him in my book.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

EDIT: I just looked at team's official website and he's not listed as being on the roster, yet a guy like Marc Savard is.  That can't be good.  Does anyone know what his official status is?  Because it doesn't look like he's on IR.  Is he a UFA and therefore not on any team at the moment?

Elias is a UFA. Savard is on the roster because he is technically signed to a contract with the Devils even though it's just a cap move. 

14 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

I think for RFA's you have until the New Year to sign, or else you can't be under contract until the summer, for UFA's I think you have until the Trade Deadline to sign a contract.

December 1st.

You can sign a UFA whenever but it has to do with playoff eligiblity. 

Edited by Marshall