2017-2018 Prospects Thread

Derlique

Corey Pronman‏Verified account @coreypronman  

NJ prospect Colby Sissons was added to Team WHL for game 2 vs. Russia. Josh Mahura (ANA) injured last night and will miss tonight's game.

Todd Cordell‏ @ToddCordell Retweeted HockeyProspect.com

Sissons is off to a strong start with 18 points in 15 games with Swift Current. 19 YO dman signed with NJD as a free agent a year ago.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Corey Pronman‏Verified account @coreypronman  

NJ prospect Colby Sissons was added to Team WHL for game 2 vs. Russia. Josh Mahura (ANA) injured last night and will miss tonight's game.

Todd Cordell‏ @ToddCordell Retweeted HockeyProspect.com

Sissons is off to a strong start with 18 points in 15 games with Swift Current. 19 YO dman signed with NJD as a free agent a year ago.

Thanks for the updates. 

• Like 1

Another article (by Julie Robenhymer! I guess she's still writing for nhl.com occasionally) about some of our prospects, including Walsh & Davies. 

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/prospect-pipeline-devils-walsh-turning-heads-at-harvard/c-292754192

Funny snippet on Walsh (Liberal Arts schools :rolleyes: ): 

As he settles in on the ice at Harvard, Walsh is also settling into the classrooms. While he's yet to decide on a major, he's fulfilling some core curriculum requirements this semester with classes in writing, sociology, Chinese philosophy and Zulu ...

Also, from last night, Maltsev had a good game vs. Canada: 

Mikhail Maltsev, a New Jersey Devils prospect, scored two goals, including the game-winner in the third period, to help Russia defeat the Western Hockey League 4-3 in the second game of the 2017 Canada Russia Series, at Credit Union iPlex in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, on Tuesday.

https://www.nhl.com/news/devils-prospect-mikhail-maltsev-scores-twice-in-russia-win-over-whl/c-292748252

FWIW, another one of our prospects, Yegor Zaitsev (D), is the Captain of the Team Russia U20.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Also, from last night, Maltsev had a good game vs. Canada: 

Mikhail Maltsev, a New Jersey Devils prospect, scored two goals, including the game-winner in the third period, to help Russia defeat the Western Hockey League 4-3 in the second game of the 2017 Canada Russia Series, at Credit Union iPlex in Swift Current, Saskatchewan, on Tuesday.

https://www.nhl.com/news/devils-prospect-mikhail-maltsev-scores-twice-in-russia-win-over-whl/c-292748252

FWIW, another one of our prospects, Yegor Zaitsev (D), is the Captain of the Team Russia U20.

Probably our Dub scout went to the game and took the boys to dinner eh? 

Ian Pulz‏ @HockeyPulz

Fabian Zetterlund scored 2 goals for Team Sweden U20 as they beat Team Czech U20 4-3 at the U20 4Nations Tournament in Russia...Zetterlund is having a great tournament #NJDevils

Todd Cordell‏ @ToddCordell

Going through a couple of these Russia vs CHL games and Devils prospect Mikhail Maltsev has really stood out in a positive way.

• Like 2

Can anyone talk me into not being super pessimistic about Walsh? There's alot of motivation for him to stay in school for the 4 years and get his degree being as its Harvard and just go the FA route.

I'd actually hesitate to draft any players going to Harvard. 

There's more motivation to sign a pro contract and get paid. People really need to relax with this guy, not every damn college player pulls a Vesey or a Kerfoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Toasterleavins said:

Can anyone talk me into not being super pessimistic about Walsh? There's alot of motivation for him to stay in school for the 4 years and get his degree being as its Harvard and just go the FA route.

I remember after we drafted him, he had some really good things to say about commitment to the Devils.  That was encouraging.

• Like 2

There's nothing to just kids from Harvard looking to ditch their NHL teams, Vesey just seemed like a flat-out punk with how he treated the Preds and the school he went to is irrelevant, with Kerfoot it's probably on the Devils not trying to get him signed before the end of his Junior year. No one talks about Tyler Moy, who could have left Nashville in the summer after his senior year at Harvard but decided to commit to the team that drafted him. I won't worry about Walsh unless I'm given a significant reason to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toasterleavins said:

If he really continues to play very well, he has a strong incentive to sign with the Devils after his freshman or sophomore year as it puts him closer to playing out his entry level contract than if he stays at school for all four years.  That's why you never see real college superstars waiting things out to become free agents, it's almost always the late bloomer types. 

The fact that it's a Harvard degree shouldn't change the equation.  First, he presumably wants to make a career out of playing hockey, which doesn't require a college degree.  Second, if it's that important to him, he can actually take classes during the summers, and get his degree while playing pro hockey.  I'm pretty sure Santini did just that at BU this offseason. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

The fact that it's a Harvard degree shouldn't change the equation.

I'm pretty sure that the fact you also get a Harvard degree is part of the reason a lot of those guys go there. But you're right, if that is important, they can figure it out for sure. 

Is there a reason they kept him in NJ for so long? Maybe for followup with the team doctors? Or it could be that he would get a few games if there were other injuries, based on his injury timeline. If it's just to keep him in the team environment, that's pretty cool too.

23 minutes ago, nessus said:

Is there a reason they kept him in NJ for so long? Maybe for followup with the team doctors? Or it could be that he would get a few games if there were other injuries, based on his injury timeline. If it's just to keep him in the team environment, that's pretty cool too.

He was injured while here in NJ. I'm sure they wanted to keep him around the team and have him treat with their medical staff and trainers as part of his recovery, and they had the ability to keep him here since he was injured while playing with the big club. 

Thought this was a good sign: 

Todd Cordell Retweeted

JR says Mike McLeod didn’t want to leave practice yesterday, was out there two straight hours requesting more drills. The captain is centering bro Ryan & rookie Washkurak tonight.

_____

ETA: 

If anybody is wondering how McLeod is doing so far, he's been a beast,,,speedy with great puck protection...a pain on the forecheck. This is prime Mike McLeod #NJDevilsNHL_2017_2018_NJDevils.png

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 4

Since it's his first game of the year, one more update on Mikey McLeod: 

Ian Pulz‏ @HockeyPulz

My goodness is Mike McLeod fast. Easily carving through the neutral zone, causing havoc on the forecheck and setting up lots of plays. #NJDevils

And Michael McLeod scores a goal in his first game back in Mississauga! #NJDevils

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Since it's his first game of the year, one more update on Mikey McLeod: 

Ian Pulz‏ @HockeyPulz

My goodness is Mike McLeod fast. Easily carving through the neutral zone, causing havoc on the forecheck and setting up lots of plays. #NJDevils

And Michael McLeod scores a goal in his first game back in Mississauga! #NJDevils

He sounds motivated. He's coming to training camp with a chip on his shoulder next year

• Like 1