The Official 2014 Trade Deadline Thread

Derlique

I'd much rather have Loktionov than Ruutu. He is not what the Devils needed at all.

Lou remembers him from 2009. 

This isn't overreacting. This isn't people begging for a deadline scorer like Vanek or Moulson and being disappointed what they didn't get. It's being disappointed with the make up of the roster for a while now, and not addressing any issues that have been going on for two years now, and actually making them worse. 

Ruutu is what we needed actually.  You guys are definitely overreacting imo.  We're a better team today than we were yesterday.  Our forecheck is now better because of this trade.

I assume the third rounder (conditional) kicks in only if they don't re-sign him.

We don't know what the condition of the third-rounder is, and we don't know how much salary Carolina retained.  Both of those kind of impact how I feel about this deal...I just think the overall mindset of going old and slow throughout the lineup is pretty alarming.  You need speed and skill, maybe to an extent Lou realizes we're not going to get enough speed and skill to compete with the Pens/Hawks so now we're trying to muck and grind teams into submission but that only goes so far.  Especially with an ancient Jagr being your only scorer.  Even lousy teams like the Jets that have speed and little else skate circles around us.

And yeah that quote about Ruutu being a scorer is scary.  I'm surprised he didn't bring in Johnathan Cheechoo while he was at it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Except when he got Schneider, except when he gave up virtually nothing of value for Kovy (the penalty is another issue), except when he got a useful piece in Poni for nothing, except when he got Zidlicky for not too much, except when he let Clarkson be the Leafs problem and got a pretty useful player in Clowe instead.

I don't love the Rutuu deal, but it isn't a calamity.  The much bigger problem is that Sal and Volchenkov are still here.  But even that isn't so horrible.  As much as it stinks to have Larsson in the minors, at this stage in his career, he is likely not the difference between a playoff spot. 

the deals you brought up aren't what i'm talking about.

clowe's been acceptable but that deal is going to be a trainwreck and you know it.

the salvador contract - no defense for it (pun intended)

up against the cap in '07 because of bad roster construction

8 d-men

just not thinking about the whole picture. 

he doesn't do it every time, obviously. he just does it way too much for my liking.

"hello Jagr... aaaawkwaaard !  " 

wrong ruutu

Edited by sundstrom

I'd much rather have Loktionov than Ruutu. He is not what the Devils needed at all.

Lou remembers him from 2009. 

This isn't overreacting. This isn't people begging for a deadline scorer like Vanek or Moulson and being disappointed what they didn't get. It's being disappointed with the make up of the roster for a while now, and not addressing any issues that have been going on for two years now, and actually making them worse. 

Bringing in Kovalcuk wasn't addressing the issue?  I've been a Devils fan for nearly 25+ years, since I was a kid, and throughout that whole time I have lived (and loved) our defense-first system.  Having a guy like Brodeur in net that you culd count on night in and night out was so reassuring and we didn't have to worry about scoring a ton of goals, which is why we never had huge names and guys leading the league in those categories.  Over the past decade or so as we lost our big name defensive stalwarts and as Marty has aged, without finding those precious d-men and running the same system, it became apparent, and a big frustrating, that we needed to finally get some big name scorers.  I'll never forget the day we won the "Kovalchuk sweepstakes".  For 20 years I watched trade deadlines, NHL entry drafts, and post seasons go by without seemingly any semblance of this team bringing in a bonafide scorer.  I couldn't believe we got a guy who had scored 400 some goals, was still in his prime, and locked him up for more than a decade.  All the while when other teams were also vying for him.  It was great. 

Not to mention the sudden departure of him, losing Parise in the same span, and what does Lou do?  His best to rebuild, but adding guys like Brunner, Ryder, Jagr, Clowe.  It's not an overnight process.  No one has a crystal ball, and there's this thing called chemistry that needs to work itself out.  Not often do you throw guys together and see them immediately gel.

I'm actually alright with the trade we made and the way the day went. 

I think we're better with Ruutu than Loktionov and a 3rd rounder isn't much of a price to pay. Not sure what the condition is on the pick though.

As for his cap hit of 4.5... It's not my money so I don't care as long as we're under the cap. We have guys who will be retiring soon and that cap space will be cleared as soon as Marty is off the books.

Other than the Rangers getting St. Louis, no one else we are chasing for a playoff spot made a move that could make them significantly better. (I guess Montreal is still within range technically)

There was no way the Devils were going to revamp their roster in one day. This is an ageing, veteran team that can at best limp into the playoffs and hope to get hot. There was no way any one player was going to change that.

Volch and Salvador will have to play better, or be bought out/traded by the time this team is legit good. Getting rid of them today isn't the difference between us winning or losing right now.

Newbie, you've been here for what, 5 minutes?  I've always been a huge Lou supporter in the past on this board and very rarely criticize him, and admittedly I'm starting to catch my breath again, but I still don't like this move, and quite a few other level-headed posters here don't like it either.     

There are level headed posters who like this deal.

He improves the team because he's physical.  We don't have enough physical forwards.  Also look at the guy who he's replacing.  I like Loktionov a lot.  But Ruutu will chip in more offense, and help more on the forecheck.  He's basically a 40 point player.  Carolina has also taken on some salary as well.

Admit it, you type that to get a reaction. Because if you are serious, that is absolutely silly.

Admit it, you type that to get a reaction. Because if you are serious, that is absolutely silly.

Is it really silly? Do you see the hit counts in our games? We don't hit alot. We battle for pucks, so sure were physical in that regard, but we don't really beat up on the other team enough. I for once agree with mike in a sense. We aren't a very physical team.

clowe's been acceptable but that deal is going to be a trainwreck and you know it.

8 d-men

he doesn't do it every time, obviously. he just does it way too much for my liking.

Yes this. 

No, he isn't - the use of Brodeur for 30 games versus 10-15 games is, though.  The trouble is that old players used to be too expensive for Lou, and so he would only retain the guys he could.  Now that they aren't, he just doesn't really understand that age isn't just a number.  Ruutu is an okay player but him at $4M for the next 2 years stinks.  It stinks because there will be 5 guys better than Ruutu who are signed for less onerous money going forward.  It stinks because it's one guy ahead of Matteau, who while not looking like a great player by any stretch, needs to be in the NHL in 2015-16 (otherwise he's on waivers).  I just don't think that Loktionov for Ruutu is an upgrade and when you consider the money it's even less of one.  Then you go and you look at how Ruutu's done in his career against NJ - oh really, he's done exceptionally well?  What a surprise.  I HATE seen-him-good moves and the Devils have made a few too many of these lately.

The use of Brodeur is another issue.  And we don't know whether that's Deboer's or Lou's doing, or perhaps both.  Giving him a two year deal, after a SCF run was not totally unreasonable. 

So far as his salary, we don't know yet what Carolina is picking up.  And again, the salary is not really the issue, it's the player logjam, which occurs whether or not the Devils are actually paying him a dime.   And my guess is that Matteau eventually gets the spot where Bernier or Carter is, so I don't think Rutuu gums up the works so much as that's concerned.

Except when he got Schneider, except when he gave up virtually nothing of value for Kovy (the penalty is another issue), except when he got a useful piece in Poni for nothing, except when he got Zidlicky for not too much, except when he let Clarkson be the Leafs problem and got a pretty useful player in Clowe instead.

I don't love the Rutuu deal, but it isn't a calamity.  The much bigger problem is that Sal and Volchenkov are still here.  But even that isn't so horrible.  As much as it stinks to have Larsson in the minors, at this stage in his career, he is likely not the difference between a playoff spot. 

And what happens next year when we re-sign Zidlicky, re-sign Fayne and don't buy out Sal or Volch?  Lou hasn't shown any inclination ever to alleviate the logjam and after his admission that last year having eight was a distraction, it's worse now.

He improves the team because he's physical.  We don't have enough physical forwards.  Also look at the guy who he's replacing.  I like Loktionov a lot.  But Ruutu will chip in more offense, and help more on the forecheck.  He's basically a 40 point player.  Carolina has also taken on some salary as well.

this notion that the devils aren't physical enough is fvcking bullsh!t. what, do they think that they're missing clarkson's sandpaper from last year and that's the problem with this year's team? 

if by physical, they mean "borderline dirty", pests who go the extra mile to hit a guy after he made a pass "to let them know you're there", then get the fvck out of this league. that's just not what this league is about. 

the devils team that was aggressive and on detroit players a lot last night is the kind of "physical" that you need in the nhl now. henrique and zajac don't rock people, but they are doggedly agreesive checkers that get the puck turned over a lot. i'd much rather that than an "in your face" player that is good at face-washing a guy.

There are level headed posters who like this deal.

Where did I say there weren't?

Is it really silly? Do you see the hit counts in our games? We don't hit alot. We battle for pucks, so sure were physical in that regard, but we don't really beat up on the other team enough. I for once agree with mike in a sense. We aren't a very physical team.

Yes, it is silly. They are plenty physical for the type of style they play. How many of the same fvcking players do you want that do the same things? 

this notion that the devils aren't physical enough is fvcking bullsh!t. what, do they think that they're missing clarkson's sandpaper from last year and that's the problem with this year's team? 

if by physical, they mean "borderline dirty", pests who go the extra mile to hit a guy after he made a pass "to let them know you're there", then get the fvck out of this league. that's just not what this league is about. 

the devils team that was aggressive and on detroit players a lot last night is the kind of "physical" that you need in the nhl now. henrique and zajac don't rock people, but they are doggedly agreesive checkers that get the puck turned over a lot. i'd much rather that than an "in your face" player that is good at face-washing a guy.

Well call Lou and tell him that. He loves that about Ruutu...and his work in the 2009 playoffs (the last time he saw him play a game).

Ruutu is what we needed actually.  You guys are definitely overreacting imo.  We're a better team today than we were yesterday.  Our forecheck is now better because of this trade.

Ruutu has 9 goals and 16 assists in his last 74 games and is 31. I don't think this is the player they needed. Loktionov has 12 goals and 12 assists in his last 76 games and despite his defensive issues, was one of the best passers on the team and excellent in zone exits. Someone who tracked zone entries in 18 Devils games this year also noted that Loktionov was one of the better Devils at carrying the puck in. I don't see why it would've been bad to just keep Loktionov and let him walk at the end of the year instead of taking on a bad contract of a player on the wrong side of 30. 

A)  I lied about being done.  Sue me.

B)  I love when new posters come on here with a holier-than-thou attitude.  This is a hockey forum - are we not supposed to speak our minds?  fvck off with that nonsense.  You're not contributing anything that hasn't already been said.

That quote about 2008 is scary.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I think huge hits have a place, if you don't thats your opinion fine. But if you are a defensmen looking down collecting pucks behind your net and you start getting rocked, it's going to give you a pause. The kind of hits that clowe was throwing against San Jose are what we need a little bit more consistantly, we are def an aggressive/physical team when it comes to many aspects of the game. I don't think he's off the reservation thinking we need guys to throw some weight around and knock some bodies. There is nothing dirty about that either.

8 d-men

Clowe might be a trainwreck in two years.  I can live with that.  And it's just as likely that he ends up on LTIR before he's a dumpster fire on the ice. If that's the case, nothing really lost.

Salvador's contract is not really the issue.  He gets paid what an average NHL defenseman gets, and could have been dealt pretty easily after last year, if the idea was to just get rid of him.  It's frustrating that Lou didn't pull the trigger on that, but again, Larsson just has not been great shakes thus far, and you can't count on him to be any sort of savior in the short term.   It's hard to accept the fact that a highly touted prospect doesn't really meet expectations.  It certainly has been for me. 

OK -- see the thing is -- is Larsson really all that good?  i mean that's really the thing there.  He might just be a bust - because he sure was no great shakes in the NHL.  Our d all interchangeably sucks pretty much.  All kinds of potential - that's kind of coming to nothing anyhow -- so how can you screw up nothing?  Everything out there sucks just as much when seen through the Devils lens.  No one would have added to this team.  We need some BRAINS.  Where is that lazy sh!t Niedermayer when you need him?  fvckin' around out West -- as usual.

PK, Im usually with you, but before his injury Larsson was playing well... certainly he is better then Gelinas, who seems to be on the ice for almost every goal against. Larsson's upside is better than any dman the Devs have onthe ice, but he needs to be in NJ, not Albany, the Albany coach all but said he is too good to be here. LL has to take a hit for the way this team is built, that is his job, building the team, and when you have 9 dmen, and you cannot seem to move 1 at the deadline to get your D man w/ the biggest upside onthe ice in the NHL, then you screwed up.

Maybe Larssson will never become the player I envision, but I kow for a fact either will Fayne, Harrold, Vol or Sal. And you can add gelinas to that list as well, although I completely understand why he is here and how important that shot is...

And what happens next year when we re-sign Zidlicky, re-sign Fayne and don't buy out Sal or Volch?  Lou hasn't shown any inclination ever to alleviate the logjam and after his admission that last year having eight was a distraction, it's worse now.

We'll cross that bridge when we get there.