GDT: Devils @ Penguins 7pm

Scottie2Hottie

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you what I would do if I was PDB. I would get tough and tell the players they are going to get fvcking benched if they look up to their lord and savior after missing an open net.

Save feeling sorry for yourself when it isn't your shift.

I'm sure that'd really help them out with 6 games before the playoffs at the tail end of a hellish march schedule.

3-3 with the Rags, Pens and Flyers. I'll take it.

What sucks is that it doesn't FEEL like the Devils are on those team's levels. I almost look at those records and wonder how they managed to go 3-3 against each of those teams.

DeBoer is pissed.

Truly...it ALWAYS sucks to walk away from a game saying, "They're just flat-out BETTER than us."

8 out of 10 times I suppose but I think the Devils could and should have won this game.

The pens capitalized on every mistake the Devils made. The Devils capitalized on two.

They out shot them and had more scoring chances. Disappointing loss.

They didn't get out played like the score shows and that sucks.

3-3 with the Rags, Pens and Flyers. I'll take it.

True but our wins came at the wrong time.

We are heading into the playoffs looking bad, again.

Right.

I've never been on the ice before lol.

Anyway. Yes. This team didnt cash in when they should have and that's why they lost.

Penguins scored on their rebounds, 2 on 1, and break away.

The Devils just stand their and look down or up in the air when they blow an opportunity when instead of chasing the puck and getting back in the play.

I'll tell you what I would do if I was PDB. I would get tough and tell the players they are going to get fvcking benched if they look up to their lord and savior after missing an open net.

Save feeling sorry for yourself when it isn't your shift.

And how do you teach players to "cash in"?

You'd have lost the room 10 games in by believing that these guys are skating around feeling sorry for themselves serving them up sports cliches as coaching. These guys want to succeed - its their career.

How many other generalities would you tell them:

1. Play Tough

2. Play with heart

3. Good is not good where better is expected.

4. You have to want it.

All of this lip service is fine for T-shirts and message boards but the truth is - its grasping at straws.

This team is playing EXACTLY like what it is - a fairly deep offensive team, with a complete lack of offense on the blue line, with above average goaltending.

That's what it is and what its been all year - I believe it will fully reveal itself when the playoffs take out the aspects of the SO and added OT.

I don't think this team is capable of a 5th gear.

Good Season as a fan. They're young and they will grow - and with some FA help who knows?

Edited by DevilinLA

Simply put, I think a lot of folks bought into the media hype mid-season.

This team is typical NJ March/April post 2005.

If not for shootouts/OT this team would be out of the playoffs. Some promising rookie efforts, and Zid has been a nice addition.

I simply can't believe that this team has the flexibility or endurance to match up against anyone in the playoffs - including FLA.

Coaches have figured out and target the NJ offensive forecheck, they don't fear any offense from the blueline, and simply pressure #17 enough when he attempts to take it all on his back.

My one criticism of Debo is he seems a little slow to adapt in terms offensive flexibility and creativity with his guys. How many times do we have to see Clarkson do the same board battling and individual plays that haven't produced in 10 or more games.

Simply put - resist the forecheck and have at least 2 forwards in front of the goalie to block and clog the slot and the puck will be rolling in the other direction quickly while NJ's forwards are still engaged in board battles.

Players like Elias and Sykora are gassed, as are Volchenkov and Salvador.

For the record, I think goaltending has ZERO to do with this.

A GREAT run for a slightly-above AVERAGE team - which is really what this is. Better than predicted.

Perfect post.

When I see them not scoring and losing to playoff teams down the stretch I just can not believe they can beat anybody in the playoffs.

Yes including Florida.

I can see the Devils losing the first game of the series and getting very discouraged.

That's going to be sad if that's the case because whoever plays Florida next will handle them easily.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

I'm usually Fayne's biggest supporter around here, and even I think he has been very disappointing for a good part of this year. This game was just awful for him. What happened?

Zajac could have been the best player out there tonight. The difference he makes is huge. But a lot of bad games from some of the other players.

Third line is awful. Henrique is being wasted there. I say shift him to LW, send Sykora to the 4th and bring up Josefson at center. Tonight, the 4th line was actually one of the better ones I thought.

I wouldn't feel too terrible at playing the Pens in the post season. I was disappointed tonight, but I don't think it's a guaranteed loss for the Devils. While not as fancy, the Devils did have some moments of dominating possession.

Man it sucks to lose to the Penguins. One of the worst teams to lose to, in my opinion.

Also, I didn't know the season was over already, DinLA.

Edited by nessus

Pitt is 13-1-1. They score more than 4 almost every game lately. Last night against Ottawa was the exception not the rule. They had a backup starting and Ott was able to capitalize. If Pitt is putting up 5 per game, realistically do the Devils win? How many times have the Devils put up 5 or more this season?

Frustrating loss but we got many good scoring chances and made things happen... Couldnt cash in and the pens did

But in my mind as long the team can create chances it means they are doing things right and sometimes u just camt bury

Few days ago we were all mad that we couldnt create any scoring opportunities... Now some are whinning that we cant cash in... Some guys are just never happy lol

Win or lose, people will generalize the team's performance and extrapolate the results into expectations for the remainder of the season/post season. Which I guess is understandable, but it makes for absurdly comedic IGTs when the team wins one night and loses the next.

Well..it would appear I'm in the minority in this GDT..

..but I thought the Devils played a good game. Had their chances, couldn't capitalize. Penguins had their chances, and did.

Zajac looked great

Yeah pretty much this, although the Penguins got more chances off the rush than New Jersey did. Fayne and Zidlicky didn't have their best games. That and a free goal by Marty is a killer - hard to beat the Penguins when you spot them one. Still, I'm encouraged by how the Devils played - if they met in the playoffs, the Devils would at least give them a fighting chance.

Truly...it ALWAYS sucks to walk away from a game saying, "They're just flat-out BETTER than us."

It's worse when they don't ****ing compete, and by and large they haven't competed for two weeks now. They've been lucky to get a couple wins out of it but now they're at a point where they're one loss away from being in panic mode, since they're only six points up on the playoffs, and have tiebreakers on nobody so in effect it's like being five points up on two white-hot teams.

Yeah pretty much this, although the Penguins got more chances off the rush than New Jersey did. Fayne and Zidlicky didn't have their best games. That and a free goal by Marty is a killer - hard to beat the Penguins when you spot them one. Still, I'm encouraged by how the Devils played - if they met in the playoffs, the Devils would at least give them a fighting chance.

You're encouraged by back-to-back 5-2 losses? We really can't compete with the Penguins, but we probably won't have to worry about playing them anyway unless we 'only' have a mini-collapse and finish eighth.

It's worse when they don't ****ing compete, and by and large they haven't competed for two weeks now. They've been lucky to get a couple wins out of it but now they're at a point where they're one loss away from being in panic mode, since they're only six points up on the playoffs, and have tiebreakers on nobody so in effect it's like being five points up on two white-hot teams.

What?! Don't compete? Did you watch tonight's game? Maybe you missed Friday's game?

This white-hot teams stuff has got to go. All of the teams at the bottom of the division stink. And there's like no chance that the Devils fall out of the playoffs if they play like they have the last 2 games, not to mention the fact that they are 6 points up with 6 games remaining.

What?! Don't compete? Did you watch tonight's game? Maybe you missed Friday's game?

This white-hot teams stuff has got to go. All of the teams at the bottom of the division stink. And there's like no chance that the Devils fall out of the playoffs if they play like they have the last 2 games, not to mention the fact that they are 6 points up with 6 games remaining.

Friday was one of the rare games where they did show up in the last two weeks, and even then they managed to **** away a point.

Washington's 6-2-2 in their last 10, Buffalo's 7-1-2. They're both definitely playing like they want to be in the playoffs, we're playing like we already clinched. Just like the 2007 Mets, we might be in for a nasty surprise if they don't pick it up NOW.

Friday was one of the rare games where they did show up in the last two weeks, and even then they managed to **** away a point.

Washington's 6-2-2 in their last 10, Buffalo's 7-1-2. They're both definitely playing like they want to be in the playoffs, we're playing like we already clinched. Just like the 2007 Mets, we might be in for a nasty surprise if they don't pick it up NOW.

Right, so in other words you're going to be a Mets fan forever. If the Devils go 2-4 in their last 6, guess what - Buffalo has to go 5-1 to beat us. Stop believing that winning streaks are relevant at all, they're not. Buffalo and Washington are getting the bounces, neither team is playing great hockey.

You're nuts if you don't think the Devils competed tonight. They did. They got beat by a better team, because Pittsburgh is right now the best team in the NHL. They missed some open nets, Pittsburgh didn't, but the Devils definitely gave them a fight.

Oh, and also, FYI: The Devils have 31 ROW. The Sabres have 30. No guarantees at all that they would have the tiebreaker.

Edited by Triumph