Larsson/Brunner/Yayo-Gate

RunninWithTheDevil

In situation like this a guy only has to tell himself, i'm gonna play better and grab a spot that's the only thing i can do! Thats great. But i can see how SOME PLAYERS / PERSONALITIES would be struggling with trying to play their best (which you have to do with confidence and know youre trusted) and playing knowing that if you fvck up and make one mistake that you'll be sitting on your ass the rest of the game and probably in the stands next game.

It's a really really not ideal situation between a coach and a player and it's really a thin line you have to walk for both. But we've heard it about Deboer in Florida that players were playing stressed out to make mistakes and we certainly saw it happen here too.

Of course we can easily say. "Grow some balls and play better and you'll get a spot" but it's really not that easy in real life when you're not on the same page as your coach and there's clearly something between Larsson and Deboer here

It's a billion dollar business. Sink or swim. Seversen took your job. What are you going to do about it Adam? The answer to this question will determine his future in hockey. Not having Sal do something. Not having Lou tell Pete to play him. It's up to Adam to reach that next level, which so far, he hasn't.

The kid still skates in mud and thats a problem since the league is getting faster and faster. I am still shocked that his skating has not improved.

EDIT: and this woe is me mentality is laughable. You want to be in the lineup? Outplay your counterparts. End of story.

Exactly. I am sure the staff has told him this, possibly verbatim.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Larson needs to play. He's not getting any better from the press box. The problem is, the devils f'd up this kids development from the start. I still think he has the potential to be a top pairing defenseman in this league in the future. But, Maybe it's best for both parties involved if he gets a fresh start somewhere else.

It just stinks that it looks like the highest pick we had in almost 20 years isn't working out. It's natural to rationalize that he must be as good as his draft position and it's only DeBoer, Stevens or the lack of Robinson that's holding him back. Usually that's not the case though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It just stinks that it looks like the highest pick we had in almost 20 years isn't working out. It's natural to rationalize that he must be as good as his draft position and it's only DeBoer, Stevens or the lack of Robinson that's holding him back. Usually that's not the case though.

Sigh. Great post, unfortunately.

Yes! I think when the Swedish Olympic team chose Tallinder over Larsson, it reinforced (to me at least) that other teams are seeing the same thing DeBoer is. It's not just a coach not liking a player and keeping him out of the lineup. Other people than just DeBoer see the same thing.

Yes! I think when the Swedish Olympic team chose Tallinder over Larsson, it reinforced (to me at least) that other teams are seeing the same thing DeBoer is. It's not just a coach not liking a player and keeping him out of the lineup. Other people than just DeBoer see the same thing.

The Swedish team also took Tallinder over Hedman I believe. I even think Ekman-Larsson got very little playing time.

When was this?[/quote

Last season. Around the time of the Yankee Stadium game.

I just don't see how Larsson is so important to this team going forward. Sure as Daniel said it sucks that our only top 5 pick in years turned out like this but it's not that big of a deal. He's already been replaced and we still have Santini and Jacobs coming up in the next few years. It certainly won't hold us back like trying to replace Kovy and Parise did.

Package him with Brunner or just one for one with another struggling young forward (Yakupov or Baertschi maybe?) and we won't have completely waisted the pick.

I just don't see how Larsson is so important to this team going forward. Sure as Daniel said it sucks that our only top 5 pick in years turned out like this but it's not that big of a deal. He's already been replaced and we still have Santini and Jacobs coming up in the next few years. It certainly won't hold us back like trying to replace Kovy and Parise did.

Package him with Brunner or just one for one with another struggling young forward (Yakupov or Baertschi maybe?) and we won't have completely wasted the pick.

Fixed. You're welcome.

Larson needs to play. He's not getting any better from the press box. The problem is, the devils f'd up this kids development from the start. I still think he has the potential to be a top pairing defenseman in this league in the future. But, Maybe it's best for both parties involved if he gets a fresh start somewhere else.

I think this is very unlikely.  What about his game stands out other than his passing ability?  His gap control isn't there yet.  And it's been 3 years.  People cry about him sitting in 2012-13 - he played 37 games that year.  I thought this would be the training camp where he would show up and just be faster - Parise had a camp like that, Elias had a camp like that, he's running out of time to have that camp.

The players with the 20 best camps aren't playing. I get what Pete wants to do, but that's a pretty bullsh!t line. 

How'd you get into camp?

Larsson should be playing without question on pedigree alone.   If it isn't working, it isn't working and trade him as a project.   But keeping him around on the bench makes no one happy and only lowers his value even more.

I'm starting to be in the camp that I wish we didn't win the lottery and had to "settle" for Dougie Hamilton...    PDB and Larsson will never gel.

His attitude is wrong, and that concerns me even more than skating. I will give you an example, I handed in a draft of my thesis last year that was sh!t, and my professor chewed me out on it. I didn't just go woe is me, I addressed his grievances, and returned with a better product two weeks, and continually sought ways to improve it prior to publication. I haven't seen that from him, I have never read a tweet from TG that Larsson is the first one on the ice and the last one off of it.

It is time to cut our losses. 

Edited by William D'Aquila

Larsson should be playing without question on pedigree alone.   If it isn't working, it isn't working and trade him as a project.   But keeping him around on the bench makes no one happy and only lowers his value even more.

I'm starting to be in the camp that I wish we didn't win the lottery and had to "settle" for Dougie Hamilton...    PDB and Larsson will never gel.

Larsson is a sunk cost at this point - the Devils can't do much to his value.  Who is going to trade for a player like this in October?  What kind of value will you get?  A guy like this gets dealt in the off-season.

Also it appears that the Devils plan to honor this idea of switching guys out because I could see Brunner-Larsson going in and Tootoo-Severson coming out - Brunner plays Severson's point position.  And regardless, someone will get hurt and this will all sound stupid.

Larsson is a sunk cost at this point - the Devils can't do much to his value.  Who is going to trade for a player like this in October?  What kind of value will you get?  A guy like this gets dealt in the off-season.

What does a prospect aged another year  who gets into another 20 games going to get you?

Let Larsson struggle and learn.  I was fine with him in his rookie year.  Let him be a 3rd paring D and work his way up if he can.

If he doesn't; cut him loose.    I grow tired of the purgatory.