Larsson/Brunner/Yayo-Gate

RunninWithTheDevil

to be honest i dont think trading him would be such a bad idea especially at this point he clearly is not happy here, and im surprised he has not yet asked to be moved due to his situation.. i wonder what we could get for him or if we could package him and someone else or a pick or something what the return could be.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also it appears that the Devils plan to honor this idea of switching guys out because I could see Brunner-Larsson going in and Tootoo-Severson coming out - Brunner plays Severson's point position.  And regardless, someone will get hurt and this will all sound stupid.

Burns was great keeping lines fresh and changing the lines intragame... so by the time the playoffs came, we had a lot of different looks.  but rotating players in and out of the lineup I don't support.

His attitude can come from seeing how this organization has handled Swedes. All of them have failed recently. Not saying it's not on the player(s) themselves but it does look like a trend. And to kid like Larsson seeing how they treat him, JJ, Tedenby, Urbom & Bergfors might make him worry about his performance too much. Maybe more leeway would have helped with development, maybe they just all suck and our Swedish scout suck too. What do I know. Tough choice either way with him IMO. 

His attitude can come from seeing how this organization has handled Swedes. All of them have failed recently. Not saying it's not on the player(s) themselves but it does look like a trend. And to kid like Larsson seeing how they treat him, JJ, Tedenby, Urbom & Bergfors might make him worry about his performance too much. Maybe more leeway would have helped with development, maybe they just all suck and our Swedish scout suck too. What do I know. Tough choice either way with him IMO.

Tedenby, Urbom and Begfors all had a chance to catch on with other teams, but failed, and the latter two were not "ruined" by DeBoer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe. There's Johnny Oduya who might not even be in the NHL if it wasn't for the Devils. I think the Swede thing is just a coincidence. But yeah all those guys probably hang out and I could see them bitching about the boss. 

Lots of overreaction here... Sure Larsson sitting for severson is a bit of a surprise but is it really a controversy that Brunner and josefson are sitting? Both guys were regular extras last year.

As for Larsson, yeah it's disappointing right now especially since he was supposed to be a steal with our only high draft pick in a long time. But honestly he's going to get plenty of more opportunities here. It's obvious Pete/Lou are playing the tough love card and trying to make him feel like he's not going to be gifted a spot. I'm not worried- If he's still a healthy scratch in 2 months then ask me again.

What does a prospect aged another year  who gets into another 20 games going to get you?

Let Larsson struggle and learn.  I was fine with him in his rookie year.  Let him be a 3rd paring D and work his way up if he can.

If he doesn't; cut him loose.    I grow tired of the purgatory.   

The idea that he is going to get into 20 games (absent injury) is just nonsense.  Remember how he got into 20 games to begin with?  He was playing pretty well, then he got injured, and Merrill came up and snatched his job.

Burns was great keeping lines fresh and changing the lines intragame... so by the time the playoffs came, we had a lot of different looks.  but rotating players in and out of the lineup I don't support.

Different era.  Burns had a top-heavy team.  Remember that the extra forwards in the playoffs were Jiri Bicek, Mike Rupp, and Christian Berglund - aka NHL fringe players.  Also he did rotate players in and out of the lineup because if you recall Mike Danton played several games early on in the season but was then healthy scratched and his agent threw a fit.  I seem to remember that Hale and Martin got their share of healthy scratches in 2003-04 but that was the year I followed the Devils the least so it's tough to remember.  It's easy to know who to scratch and who not to when you have a roster of 20 guys who can play and 3 who probably shouldn't - the Devils were very lucky to not suffer many major injuries that year, because they did not have any extra forwards really.

Edited by Triumph

Larsson should be playing without question on pedigree alone. If it isn't working, it isn't working and trade him as a project. But keeping him around on the bench makes no one happy and only lowers his value even more.

I'm starting to be in the camp that I wish we didn't win the lottery and had to "settle" for Dougie Hamilton... PDB and Larsson will never gel.

This was kind of the season we needed to see once and for all what Larsson and Gelinas were, and there's no urgent need for Severson to be here as a 20-year old with zero pro experience. Unless Severson was a LOT better than Larsson (and if you believe the staff that's not the case) then what's the point of rushing him and kicking Larsson in the teeth?

I think this is very unlikely.  What about his game stands out other than his passing ability?  His gap control isn't there yet.  And it's been 3 years.  People cry about him sitting in 2012-13 - he played 37 games that year.  I thought this would be the training camp where he would show up and just be faster - Parise had a camp like that, Elias had a camp like that, he's running out of time to have that camp.

How'd you get into camp?

Come again?

Sorry, fairly obvious just tired. I know the security guard.

But seriously, how can I say it? Well , I think there were 2 or 3 openings, and that's it. A meh camp from Zubrus, Havlat, Gionta or Salvador were not moving them off the team. A great camp from Boucher was not giving him a spot on the top 9.

Stephen Gionta or Bryce Salvador may have not been better than this guy or that guy who isn't playing. They are just the right people for the job description that Deboer has in his mind. Jordan Tootoo did not have to be one of the best 20 guys. He had to be the best of 3 players competing for that spot.

Edited by devilsrule33

Well, yeah, because Tootoo will probably kill penalties.  If you have the 6 PKers as Ruutu, Tootoo, Gionta, Henrique, Zajac, Zubrus, that frees up Elias to not have to kill penalties.  He's good at it, but he could probably use the rest.  Whereas if you stick Brunner in the lineup, now you have Elias killing penalties.  A lot can change as a season goes on wrt the lineup - I could see Zubrus moving into healthy scratch territory if his play continues to deteriorate.

Well, yeah, because Tootoo will probably kill penalties.  If you have the 6 PKers as Ruutu, Tootoo, Gionta, Henrique, Zajac, Zubrus, that frees up Elias to not have to kill penalties.  He's good at it, but he could probably use the rest.  Whereas if you stick Brunner in the lineup, now you have Elias killing penalties.  A lot can change as a season goes on wrt the lineup - I could see Zubrus moving into healthy scratch territory if his play continues to deteriorate.

Cammalleri got quite a PK time last game. He might be in their plans.

Maybe if Larsson actually improved his bloody game he wouldn't have to sit. Improve your skating, study the game a bit more.

And how's he going to do that if he doesn't play against NHL-caliber competition?

You can only do so much in practice.  And he was clearly outclassing everyone else in the AHL last season, what a waste that was.

And how's he going to do that if he doesn't play against NHL-caliber competition?

You can only do so much in practice.  And he was clearly outclassing everyone else in the AHL last season, what a waste that was.

I don't see how that's clear.  He didn't get 2 shots a game.  19 points in 33 games is a solid number, but nothing from his statline indicates dominance.

Larsson can improve any number of ways without getting NHL ice time - if he improved his skating he'd probably be in the lineup, because that's his most obvious flaw.

Edited by Triumph

Do you think Larsson would've had this Space-Jam-esque skill decline if he played with Stevens? Lead by example.  Im not entirely blaming him but hes just as useless and silent

Considering Stevens was his coach the last two seasons this is a foolish statement :P

I think this is more of a lets see what Severson has than a knock on Larrson.  I'd be surprised if after all is said and done Larsson doesn't get 60 games.  I would guess he eds up with more games then Gelly.  Casue despite his slapshot, his all around game needs to improve over last year.  

As for who's had the better camp.  None of us know,  A few pre-season games don't mean as much as the scrimmages.  I will tend to defer to Pete since I'm guessing he saw all of them.

As for the Harrold hate.  He's just not that great on either side of the puck.  Good 7th where he doesn't look lost after sitting a few weeks, played wing in a pinch, will probably be up in a couple weeks once Severson gets that taste for the NHL level (like the devils say they like their prospects to see) and gets sent back down if he gets complacent or fades.  

Not thrilled with Adam airing the dirty laundry, but not upset he feels that way.

Season is a marathon, not  sprint.

Joe