DeBoer "Firing Watch" Thread

mfitz804

Elias is on what can only be called an awful contract. The only thing you can do with him is hope he doesn't become a complete detriment while he's here, but it's not looking good. Some guys age seemingly overnight...just no way to tell who that's going to happen to.

he fell apart this year, but its not like we have two or three more years of him. next year we bite the bullet

Yeah, that to me is one of the good signs with the team is that all the miserable forwards are gone soon, and the guy they committed a lot of money to is playing well.  The bad news is that there isn't much to replace them in the system.

Edited by Triumph

I wonder how many of the Albany AAAA-types will get looks as the forwards currently here are dealt or let go. I'm not expecting much from Boucher, but at least we'll start finding out about him soon.

• Like 1

It's pretty much what a lot of us are saying. Greg is right on with that one. Even he says the Gelinas and Larsson thing - but Merril (when healthy) and Severson have played a ton. Gelly just isn't pick it up what they need him too. It's not just the coaching, given we had two very different style Ds (Albelin and Stevens) teaching him. Larsson has played pretty well for the most part and has earned what he's getting. 

There's 100% no accountability on this team and I put that on Pete. He doesn't hold anyone accountable for their mistakes (unless they're Swedish or a rookie) so a lot of guys don't seem to hold themselves accountable. It's always "we deserved better" and "we didn't get the bounces", even Patty has been spouting quotes like this lately. That's unacceptable and it starts with the atmosphere that DeBoer has created. He'd rather find silver linings in getting a point than be upset about losing the second one. He's gotta go and someone who won't just accept these constant blown leads and lacks of effort for periods at a time has to be brought in. Do I think it will help us this season and get us to the playoffs? Probably not. But the culture needs to change before these young guys start spouting the same nonsense about "bad luck" and what they "deserved".

How do you know what happens in the room? A good coach doesn't put his players on blast to the likes of Chere or TG.

This is a team of 3rd liners.

How do you know what happens in the room? A good coach doesn't put his players on blast to the likes of Chere or TG.

This team has a lot more 2nd liners than 3rd liners.  Granted they're only decent 2nd liners at best, but 2nd liners regardless.

NOTE: THE NUMBERS IN THE PARENTHESES IS NOT A PREDICTION.  IT'S JUST A ROUGH ESTIMATE OF THEIR POINT TOTALS ASSUMING THEY PLAY ROUGHLY A FULL SEASON.

1st line players - Elias (50 points), Jagr (50 points), Cammalleri (65 points)

2nd line players - Havlat (40 points), Brunner (40 points), Ryder (40 points), Clowe (40 points), Henrique (55 points), Zajac (45 points)

3rd line players - Josefson (20 points), Ruutu (35 points)

4th line players - Zubrus (15 points), Gionta (10 points), Bernier (20 points), Tootoo (10 points)

They don't need to be put on blast, but I'd at least like a bit of honesty. Ever listen to a Mike Babcock postgame? When asked about a certain player's performance, he'll give an honest assessment and will say a guy needs to be better or where his game needs improvement or where he was lacking in that game. It's refreshing. 

They don't need to be put on blast, but I'd at least like a bit of honesty. Ever listen to a Mike Babcock postgame? When asked about a certain player's performance, he'll give an honest assessment and will say a guy needs to be better or where his game needs improvement or where he was lacking in that game. It's refreshing. 

I think that's more of an organizational strategy as opposed to Deboers alone. It seems most Devils coaches are like that. I'd have to look at Deboers stuff from Florida. 

I think that's more of an organizational strategy as opposed to Deboers alone. It seems most Devils coaches are like that. I'd have to look at Deboers stuff from Florida. 

Can't blame them. Our media aren't exactly aggressive. What do our players have, maybe 4-5 people max. to answer to in the locker room every night, 2 employed by the same TV channel and 2 employed by the same newspaper? They're avoiding making any unnecessary bad press around the league-wide media (no one's really talking about "the Devils doing bad", we're floating under the radar still), unfortunately at the expense of some of us diehards who want answers and heads to roll.

Edited by DJ Eco

Can't blame them. Our media aren't exactly aggressive. What do our players have, maybe 4-5 people max. to answer to in the locker room every night, 2 employed by the same TV channel and 2 employed by the same newspaper? They're avoiding making any unnecessary bad press around the league-wide media (no one's really talking about "the Devils doing bad", we're floating under the radar still), unfortunately at the expense of some of us diehards who want answers and heads to roll.

If Pete ever winds up in Toronto like it was rumored, he'll have some serious adjusting to do when it comes to media scrutiny after being here and in Florida. Talk about night and day....

This team has a lot more 2nd liners than 3rd liners.  Granted they're only decent 2nd liners at best, but 2nd liners regardless.

NOTE: THE NUMBERS IN THE PARENTHESES IS NOT A PREDICTION.  IT'S JUST A ROUGH ESTIMATE OF THEIR POINT TOTALS ASSUMING THEY PLAY ROUGHLY A FULL SEASON.

2nd line players - Havlat (40 points), Brunner (40 points), Ryder (40 points), Clowe (40 points), Henrique (55 points), Zajac (45 points)

4th line players - Zubrus (15 points), Gionta (10 points), Bernier (20 points), Tootoo (10 points)

The problem is Elias is a 3rd liner/depending on who he's playing with 2nd liner. Camm is a first line guy, but we need two true first line players above him. 

Jagr should be a 2nd line guy. So should Zajac. 

Havlat, Clowe, Brunner, Ryder are all 3rd liners at best. 

We only have 1 first liner, and that's Camm. Yeesh. 

This team has a lot more 2nd liners than 3rd liners. Granted they're only decent 2nd liners at best, but 2nd liners regardless.

NOTE: THE NUMBERS IN THE PARENTHESES IS NOT A PREDICTION. IT'S JUST A ROUGH ESTIMATE OF THEIR POINT TOTALS ASSUMING THEY PLAY ROUGHLY A FULL SEASON.

The above is nonsensical and not even remotely rooted in reality.

If Pete ever winds up in Toronto like it was rumored, he'll have some serious adjusting to do when it comes to media scrutiny after being here and in Florida. Talk about night and day....

He would've been out on the street a long time ago in a place like Toronto, Montreal, or even New York; probably prematurely, but yeah, here in New Jersey is the other extreme now.

He would've been out on the street a long time ago in a place like Toronto, Montreal, or even New York; probably prematurely, but yeah, here in New Jersey is the other extreme now.

Can you imagine some of the line-up decisions he's made in a place Toronto or Montreal? Lmfao, sports-talk radio in those places would HAMMER him 24/7/365.

Can you imagine some of the line-up decisions he's made in a place Toronto or Montreal? Lmfao, sports-talk radio in those places would HAMMER him 24/7/365.

Pretty much this.  I mean the Devils have their games broadcasted on a radio station whose 1-6:30PM guy doesn't even acknowledge the sport of hockey and when asked says "no one cares about hockey" or "too early to talk about hockey" until at least one of the local teams makes it to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I wonder how many of the Albany AAAA-types will get looks as the forwards currently here are dealt or let go. I'm not expecting much from Boucher, but at least we'll start finding out about him soon.

He really should be with the big club, getting his chance now. Gotta find out about him, even though we may not like the answer to the Reid Boucher question!

Edited by Jerrydevil